Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:10 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Your favorite comedies... 
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Patrick wrote:
Or maybe he has good taste. Now if he was watching Wild Hogs...that's a different story.

Oh...and add Hot Fuzz to my list.

It saddens me to think of all the people here who seem to think that Tim Allen could ever carry an entire film. He's not that bad as a comic actor, but only in short doses for me (eg: 5 minutes, tops).

Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:28 pm
Quote:
You know, my friend likes Galaxy Quest. I think he puts it into the DVD player just to piss me off.

Or maybe he has good taste. Now if he was watching Wild Hogs...that's a different story.

Now there's a true gem. Co-star Nick Frost was just so crucial to the success of that comedy. His timing is impeccable and that gorilla impression he does is first-rate. Plus the coolness of telling someone to 'jog-on' was made apparent to me after viewing this one and I have to admit I've fantasized about a scenario in which I might be able to apply it in real life. :lol:

Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:56 pm
I'm sure I'll leave something out but off the top of my head, here's 10
Young Frankenstein, Life of Brian, Shaun of the Dead, Old School, Stripes, Trading Places, Dazed and Confused, Hot Fuzz, Clerks, Christmas Vacation

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:22 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

It saddens me to think of all the people here who seem to think that Tim Allen could ever carry an entire film. He's not that bad as a comic actor, but only in short doses for me (eg: 5 minutes, tops).

In the annals of live-action Tim Allen movies, Galaxy Quest is going down as the fluke in his career. It's not like any other of his live-action movies are good.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:55 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
Quote:
You know, my friend likes Galaxy Quest. I think he puts it into the DVD player just to piss me off.

Now there's a true gem. Co-star Nick Frost was just so crucial to the success of that comedy. His timing is impeccable and that gorilla impression he does is first-rate. Plus the coolness of telling someone to 'jog-on' was made apparent to me after viewing this one and I have to admit I've fantasized about a scenario in which I might be able to apply it in real life. :lol:

holy shit, me too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:33 pm
Similar to many other lists, but here goes:

Caddyshack
Dazed and Confused
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Fletch
High Fidelity
Office Space
Princess Bride
Raising Arizona
Strange Brew
The Sure Thing
This Is Spinal Tap
Young Frankenstein

I have to give love to Bruce Campbell. Not straight comedy, but the man makes me laugh:

My Name Is Bruce
Bubba HoTep
Army of Darkness

bob harris wrote:
Young Frankenstein, Life of Brian, Shaun of the Dead, Old School, Stripes, Trading Places, Dazed and Confused, Hot Fuzz, Clerks, Christmas Vacation

Good list, Bob. I agree that Christmas Vacation is the best of the series. And Clerks should be on my list, but it was getting too long.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:28 pm
Me, Myself and Irene.
I know people for whom this movie is not even on their radar, but I love it. There's so many great one-liners and Renee Zelwegger is perfectly casted. 9/10.

Quote:
Hey, Finneran.

Hey, Buddy.

- Hey ! Hope you brought your appetite with ya. - Oh, I did.

- Ahh ! - Charlie, your kids look great.

- Yeah, don't they ? Thanks. - Uh-huh.

- Charlie, just between you and me, did you ever notice that your kids have sort of a year-round tan ?

Yeah, well, uh-

- My great grandmother's half ltalian. - Half ltalian ?

Oh, yeah.

Well, that's probably why the water beads off their hair, huh ?

Yeah, so ?

- I mean, a lot of people have different kind of hair. - Oh, yeah.

I mean, what are you- what are you- what are you getting at ?

No, no, I'm just saying is- You know-

Come on, Charlie, goddamn it !

Those kids' dicks are bigger than them sausages.

Knock it off, Finneran. Those are my children you're talking about.

- I've been meaning to ask you about that. - Finneran !

Get over here. It's your turn.

Charlie, don't mind me.

It's just the beer talking, you know ? Whoo !

Hmm. Sure.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:42 pm
HomerJ wrote:
Similar to many other lists, but here goes:

Caddyshack
Dazed and Confused
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Fletch
High Fidelity
Office Space
Princess Bride
Raising Arizona
Strange Brew
The Sure Thing
This Is Spinal Tap
Young Frankenstein

I have to give love to Bruce Campbell. Not straight comedy, but the man makes me laugh:

My Name Is Bruce
Bubba HoTep
Army of Darkness

bob harris wrote:

Good list, Bob. I agree that Christmas Vacation is the best of the series. And Clerks should be on my list, but it was getting too long.

Hi Homerj,
What would you say is your favorite scene (if you have one) in Raising Arizona?

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:53 pm
aameen wrote:
absolutely nothing from apatow. shit scripts + a lot of swearing is not funny, surprising as that may be.

Dude...issues...I have issues with this statement.

Aameen, I like you, man...I like you a lot. I have read a lot of your posts and like what you have to say. So please don't take what I am about to say the wrong way man.

I remember reading reading that you said you we're 19. Now, I'm not trying to do the you're-just-a-baby-and-you-don't-know-shit thing...that's bullshit. I hate hearing that crap. But dude, I'm a 29-year-old father of 3 kids below the age of 5 who works in a effing high school teaching adolescents Geometry.

Swearing happens man...it happens in relationships. There have been situations with my wife that at the time...they are not funny. If you we're to put a camera on us and look from the outside in though, you would roll you're effing ass off. It's a testament to Apatow, that he can shine a light on those situations, and make people realize that this happens in a lot of relationships...let's just laugh about it and move on. I think a lot of people like his movies because they relate to them...it's the shit that happens in our lives man.

I don't know...maybe I'm just drunk right now...but I remember way back thinking that Parenthood was a stupid movie, and now...damn man, how true that movie rings.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:05 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
Hi Homerj,

I know you're asking HomerJ this question, but I was just watching this movie the other day...

[Reveal] Spoiler: It's the scene where Hi's boss is talking to him about Ed
When Hi punches his boss and there is a change of view after he punched him that shows he probably flew about 12 feet from being punched. Does that make sense?

It's subtle, but it makes me laugh. More of a nod to the Coens than anything else.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:12 pm
ram1312 wrote:
aameen wrote:
absolutely nothing from apatow. shit scripts + a lot of swearing is not funny, surprising as that may be.

Aameen, I like you, man...I like you a lot. I have read a lot of your posts and like what you have to say. So please don't take what I am about to say the wrong way man.

I remember reading reading that you said you we're 19. Now, I'm not trying to do the you're-just-a-baby-and-you-don't-know-shit thing...that's bullshit. I hate hearing that crap. But dude, I'm a 29-year-old father of 3 kids below the age of 5 who works in a effing high school teaching adolescents Geometry.

Swearing happens man...it happens in relationships. There have been situations with my wife that at the time...they are not funny. If you we're to put a camera on us and look from the outside in though, you would roll you're effing ass off. It's a testament to Apatow, that he can shine a light on those situations, and make people realize that this happens in a lot of relationships...let's just laugh about it and move on. I think a lot of people like his movies because they relate to them...it's the shit that happens in our lives man.

I don't know...maybe I'm just drunk right now...but I remember way back thinking that Parenthood was a stupid movie, and now...damn man, how true that movie rings.

hmm...so you're saying i just can't relate to his scripts. that may be/would've been true if were just talking about one movie. but surely not all of em. sure ive never been in a long term relationship like a marraige, but not all of em are like/about that. it may seems funny, i know he didn't write or direct it, but the movie i hated most out of that factory was superbad! i literally walked out.

and its not the swearing i have a problem with, shit, i know swearing happens. i even know that looking from the outside would be funny. thats what seinfeld always did when it came old people, carlin did, in his little things section. and it worked. but apatow seems to think swearing in and of itself is funny. for example of making swearing and only swearing funny- the south park movie - had a lot of swearing, but that wasn't what was funny. the swearing did something.
ive got no trouble with swearing, shit!, many movies use em, shit! i use crude language from time to time but thats not the joke. thats just the medium. but if the joke is just going to be that the characters are swearing...
as far as the opinion goes that i just can't relate to his scripts...well, no, not as well as others seem to. is it cuz of my age? i think not. i think his best one was virgin.

not to say that most of his(apatow's) characters are supposed to be likable. he treats them that way. and when that doesn't work(superbad, and to some extent knocked up) the movie will surely blow up in the viewers face.

virgin was ok. hell, it was even mildly good.

besides, who's to say what's funny? to each his own, eh? i happen to think your post was quite funny.
Quote:
:lol:

Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:20 pm
Producer

In no particular order:

Airplane!
The Naked Gun flicks (all 3 of them)
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
The Wedding Crashers
Dumb & Dumber
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
Wonder Boys
Nurse Betty
The Girl Next Door
Heart & Souls
Lost in Translation
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Ammerican President
Back to the Future
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:51 am
Quote:
Hi Homerj,

Hey Moovy1:

I've got a lot of favorites from that movie, but off the top of my head:

- the stories when H.I. is in jail. "When there was no fowl to eat, we ate crawdads, and when there was no crawdads to be found, we ate sand." "You ate SAND?" "We ate sand."

- the whole scene where H.I. robs the convenience store and is left by his wife. The chase through the neighborhood, and when he gets picked up by an old guy, he says: "Son, you got a panty on yor head."

- "These balloons blow up in funny shapes?" "Well...only if round is funny." And then when the old guy is on the floor of the gas station, counting down like they tell him. He gets bored, says, "Ah, hell," and stands up only to see them coming back down the road, screaming their asses off. So he gets back down on the floor and continues counting.

- "Could you describe the jammies?" "I don't know!! They were...jammies! They had Yoda's and shit on 'em!"

- H.I.'s stupid boss (Sam McMurray) and his family. They just crack me up. His idiot jokes, the whole wife-swapping thing, his white shoes..."Does the Pope wear a funny hat?" H.I.'s response: "Well, I guess it is kinda funny."

Probably my favorite, though, is when H.I. and Ed bring the baby back to the Arizona home, and Nathan Arizona catches them. His little speech always seemed very heartfelt to me, when he lets them go and tells them: "Before you go do something foolish like bustin' up, why don't you sleep on it? At least for one night."

I love the whole movie, but those are few of my favorite moments. :D

How about you?

Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:37 am
Quote:
Hey Moovy1:

I've got a lot of favorites from that movie, but off the top of my head:

- the stories when H.I. is in jail. "When there was no fowl to eat, we ate crawdads, and when there was no crawdads to be found, we ate sand." "You ate SAND?" "We ate sand."

- the whole scene where H.I. robs the convenience store and is left by his wife. The chase through the neighborhood, and when he gets picked up by an old guy, he says: "Son, you got a panty on yor head."

- "These balloons blow up in funny shapes?" "Well...only if round is funny." And then when the old guy is on the floor of the gas station, counting down like they tell him. He gets bored, says, "Ah, hell," and stands up only to see them coming back down the road, screaming their asses off. So he gets back down on the floor and continues counting.

- "Could you describe the jammies?" "I don't know!! They were...jammies! They had Yoda's and shit on 'em!"

- H.I.'s stupid boss (Sam McMurray) and his family. They just crack me up. His idiot jokes, the whole wife-swapping thing, his white shoes..."Does the Pope wear a funny hat?" H.I.'s response: "Well, I guess it is kinda funny."

Probably my favorite, though, is when H.I. and Ed bring the baby back to the Arizona home, and Nathan Arizona catches them. His little speech always seemed very heartfelt to me, when he lets them go and tells them: "Before you go do something foolish like bustin' up, why don't you sleep on it? At least for one night."

I love the whole movie, but those are few of my favorite moments. :D

How about you?

Ah, the memories. :lol: The one that always sticks out in my mind is when HI's boss hurls the handful of peanuts or whatever they are at his kid and shouts hit the deck boy!

Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:05 am
In more or less "off the top of my head" order...

Big Lebowski
Batman (1966) - Yes, this counts. :D Even if Adam West and Burt Ward didn't know they were in a comedy, the writers were comedic geniuses.
Ghostbusters
Wag the Dog
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Snatch
Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail
Princess Bride
Blazing Saddles

Oh, and king of the pure spoof subgenre (sorry, Airplane!): Hot Shots!

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:26 pm
Bones wrote:
Batman (1966) - Yes, this counts. :D Even if Adam West and Burt Ward didn't know they were in a comedy, the writers were comedic geniuses.

Listen to the DVD commentary with those two, they were in on it. And it was intentionally campy.

PS: The only good about Hot Shots was Cary Elwes, Hot Shots II was better....Airplane best :D

Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:41 pm
lost in translation
when harry met sally
wonder boys
city lights
a night at the opera (any prime marx brothers)
many others...

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:05 pm
moulton4 wrote:
lost in translation

So which part is the funny part?

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:09 pm
Patrick wrote:
Listen to the DVD commentary with those two, they were in on it. And it was intentionally campy.

Well Adam West may very well have been in on it. On the DVD commentary he certainly likes to act like he was. Burt Ward though, while he seems now to realize it's a comedy, at some point on a DVD extra feature I believe mentions that he was playing it extremely seriously at the time. If not Burt himself, someone else says it about him.

Also, my favorite exchange from the tv show:

Robin: You'll never get away from Batman that easy!
Batman: "Easily," Robin. Good grammar is essential. Now--let's nab those Catburglars!

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:29 pm
Bones wrote:
In more or less "off the top of my head" order...

Big Lebowski
Ghostbusters
Wag the Dog
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Snatch
Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail
Princess Bride
Blazing Saddles

Oh, and king of the pure spoof subgenre (sorry, Airplane!): Hot Shots!

Man, I love that old Batman movie. Anytime I need a good laugh, I pop in the DVD (yes, I own it) and watch the shark attack scene.

"Quick, Batman! Use your Bat Shark Repellant (TM)!" :lol:

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:50 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next