Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:48 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Your favorite comedies... 
Author Message
Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
I second some of the choices already mentioned:

Duck Soup
Blazing Saddles
Galaxy Quest

Also, I'm surprised Best In Show wasn't mentioned. I think it's Christopher Guest's best mockmentary.


Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:30 pm
Profile
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
I'm not that big on comedies (humor is subjective, after all), but some that always make me piss my pants:

Hot Shots 1 & 2
Bowfinger
Coming to America
There's Something About Mary (All about the opening scene with the zipper accident)
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Christopher Guest movies
Anything featuring Terry Crews in it
Happy Gilmore
The Waterboy
Superbad
The Longest Yard remake (Because of the supporting cast... Sandler was the most boring part of the film)
Tropic Thunder
The Party (Peter Sellers film)
Sex Drive


Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:50 pm
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Comedy is such a subjective thing; humorous movies that are otherwise well crafted, well acted, etc. can still draw wider disagreement just because humor is, well, you know . . .

Waiting for Guffman
The Big Lebowski
Little Miss Sunshine
Strange Brew "This movie was shot in 3B - three beers - and it looks good, eh?"
Groundhog Day
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Murder By Death
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Philadelphia Story
The Frisco Kid
Love and Death (not nearly as funny as Woody Allen thought it was, but still funny enough)
Life of Brian
Annie Hall
Defending Your Life (many things in this flick don't work, but Rip Torn was perfect. Worth watching just for him)
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
Seems Like Old Times "I hope you won't be offended, but I gotta get back to work, and I need to quit the gang."
Superbad


Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:05 pm
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
In no particular order:

Monty Python: The Search for the Holy Grail
Monty Python: The Life of Brian
A Fish Called Wanda
Airplane!
Scary Movie
Scary Movie 3
I'm Gonna Git Ya Sucka!
Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinkin' Your Juice In The Hood
Hot Fuzz
Shaun Of The Dead
The Hebrew Hammer
The Naked Gun
The Big Lebowski


Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:07 pm
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Ragnarok73 wrote:
In no particular order:

Monty Python: The Search for the Holy Grail
Monty Python: The Life of Brian
A Fish Called Wanda
Airplane!
Scary Movie
Scary Movie 3
I'm Gonna Git Ya Sucka!
Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinkin' Your Juice In The Hood
Hot Fuzz
Shaun Of The Dead
The Hebrew Hammer
The Naked Gun
The Big Lebowski

Scary Movie 3, serioudly???!!!! That's one of the aboslute worst pieces of painfully unfunny dreck masquerading as a comedy that I have EVER seen, I actually think James was a little TOO gentle on it in his review, the ONLY thing in that film that mad eme laugh was the Michael Jackson scene(and with his recent death, even that won't make me laugh now) everything was just excruciatingly painful, hell i'd rather watch a Seltzerburg film then to EVER have to sit through that horrible shitfest ever again!!! :evil:


Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:31 pm
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Vexer wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
In no particular order:

Monty Python: The Search for the Holy Grail
Monty Python: The Life of Brian
A Fish Called Wanda
Airplane!
Scary Movie
Scary Movie 3
I'm Gonna Git Ya Sucka!
Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinkin' Your Juice In The Hood
Hot Fuzz
Shaun Of The Dead
The Hebrew Hammer
The Naked Gun
The Big Lebowski

Scary Movie 3, serioudly???!!!! That's one of the aboslute worst pieces of painfully unfunny dreck masquerading as a comedy that I have EVER seen, I actually think James was a little TOO gentle on it in his review, the ONLY thing in that film that mad eme laugh was the Michael Jackson scene(and with his recent death, even that won't make me laugh now) everything was just excruciatingly painful, hell i'd rather watch a Seltzerburg film then to EVER have to sit through that horrible shitfest ever again!!! :evil:


Maybe I'm racist* but I like the Zucker Scary Movies better than the Wayans Scary Movies. Granted, I haven't actually liked any of them but I did come close to liking 3 and 4.

Besides, debating comedy is like debating...some hard to debate thing...why bother?


*No, I'm not


Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:37 pm
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
DylnFan96818 wrote:
I second some of the choices already mentioned:

Duck Soup
Blazing Saddles
Galaxy Quest

Also, I'm surprised Best In Show wasn't mentioned. I think it's Christopher Guest's best mockmentary.


Good films all.

I enjoy Best In Show a lot, but my favorite is Waiting for Guffman. No real way to lose if you're forced to choose between the two, though . . .


Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:50 pm
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Vexer wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
In no particular order:

Monty Python: The Search for the Holy Grail
Monty Python: The Life of Brian
A Fish Called Wanda
Airplane!
Scary Movie
Scary Movie 3
I'm Gonna Git Ya Sucka!
Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinkin' Your Juice In The Hood
Hot Fuzz
Shaun Of The Dead
The Hebrew Hammer
The Naked Gun
The Big Lebowski

Scary Movie 3, serioudly???!!!! That's one of the aboslute worst pieces of painfully unfunny dreck masquerading as a comedy that I have EVER seen, I actually think James was a little TOO gentle on it in his review, the ONLY thing in that film that mad eme laugh was the Michael Jackson scene(and with his recent death, even that won't make me laugh now) everything was just excruciatingly painful, hell i'd rather watch a Seltzerburg film then to EVER have to sit through that horrible shitfest ever again!!! :evil:

Hey, the scene with Queen Latifah as the Oracle was #%#%#%# hilarious.


Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:35 pm
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
In no particular order:

Monty Python: The Search for the Holy Grail
Monty Python: The Life of Brian
A Fish Called Wanda
Airplane!
Scary Movie
Scary Movie 3
I'm Gonna Git Ya Sucka!
Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinkin' Your Juice In The Hood
Hot Fuzz
Shaun Of The Dead
The Hebrew Hammer
The Naked Gun
The Big Lebowski

Scary Movie 3, serioudly???!!!! That's one of the aboslute worst pieces of painfully unfunny dreck masquerading as a comedy that I have EVER seen, I actually think James was a little TOO gentle on it in his review, the ONLY thing in that film that mad eme laugh was the Michael Jackson scene(and with his recent death, even that won't make me laugh now) everything was just excruciatingly painful, hell i'd rather watch a Seltzerburg film then to EVER have to sit through that horrible shitfest ever again!!! :evil:

Hey, the scene with Queen Latifah as the Oracle was #%#%#%# hilarious.

I don't remember that particular scene, but unfortunately the painfully unfunny scene with Anthony Anderson at the funeral, i suhhder just thinking about it! It's sad too cause I usually find Anderson hilarious.


Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:08 am
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
But that was the best part of Scary Movie 3! Punching old people is hilarious!


Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:09 am
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Patrick wrote:
But that was the best part of Scary Movie 3! Punching old people is hilarious!

Usually it is, too bad it wasn't there.


Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:44 am
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
well, the only funny part of the scary movies, was the oprah-tom cruise parody.
laughed for 5 mins straight.

i think it was the forth movie. i think.

on to the list:

big labowski
wayne's world
office space
shaun of the dead
hot fuzz
napolean dynamite

absolutely nothing from apatow. shit scripts + a lot of swearing is not funny, surprising as that may be.


Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:31 am
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Robert Holloway wrote:
Some Like It Hot

the rest

Bubba Ho Tep ( I trust in Bruce!)
It's a mad mad mad world
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Fish Called Wanda

Rob



He's dreamy....


Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:19 am
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
aameen wrote:
absolutely nothing from apatow. shit scripts + a lot of swearing is not funny, surprising as that may be.


I should probably tell you you're wrong with a hilarious(to you) post but I've only seen Knocked Up and that was more romantic and sweet than funny. I think I can count the number of times I laughed on both hands.


Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:25 am
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
DylnFan96818 wrote:
I second some of the choices already mentioned:

Duck Soup
Blazing Saddles
Galaxy Quest

Also, I'm surprised Best In Show wasn't mentioned. I think it's Christopher Guest's best mockmentary.



LOVE Galaxy Quest. Tim Allen could make just about anything good...


Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:26 am
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Moovy1 wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Some Like It Hot

the rest

Bubba Ho Tep ( I trust in Bruce!)
It's a mad mad mad world
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Fish Called Wanda

Rob



He's dreamy....

Oh Jesus, how could I forget to put Army of Darkness on my list?!!?!! Some of the best lines of dialogue that ever escaped Bruce Campbell's lips were from that film:

"Hail to the King, baby!"
"Baby, you got REAL ugly!"
"KLAATU, VERATA, NI-AHHAAH*COUGH**COUGH**COUGH*!......OK NOW!...THAT'S IT!!"
"Yo, she-bitch." <cocks gun> "Let's go."
"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me." <*spits out grape seed*> "Blow."


Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:29 pm
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Moovy1 wrote:
DylnFan96818 wrote:
I second some of the choices already mentioned:

Duck Soup
Blazing Saddles
Galaxy Quest

Also, I'm surprised Best In Show wasn't mentioned. I think it's Christopher Guest's best mockmentary.



LOVE Galaxy Quest. Tim Allen could make just about anything good...

You mean like The Santa Clause? For me, that statement you made about Allen would make more sense if you replaced the word "good" with the words "into a steaming pile of triple grade A monkey crap.", to paraphrase The Rock.


Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:30 pm
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:
DylnFan96818 wrote:
I second some of the choices already mentioned:

Duck Soup
Blazing Saddles
Galaxy Quest

Also, I'm surprised Best In Show wasn't mentioned. I think it's Christopher Guest's best mockmentary.



LOVE Galaxy Quest. Tim Allen could make just about anything good...

You mean like The Santa Clause? For me, that statement you made about Allen would make more sense if you replaced the word "good" with the words "into a steaming pile of triple grade A monkey crap.", to paraphrase The Rock.


I rather like to think that he elevated it from that...to just an unsightly pile of rather ordinary scat. ;)


Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:03 pm
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Moovy1 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
You mean like The Santa Clause? For me, that statement you made about Allen would make more sense if you replaced the word "good" with the words "into a steaming pile of triple grade A monkey crap.", to paraphrase The Rock.


I rather like to think that he elevated it from that...to just an unsightly pile of rather ordinary scat. ;)

You know, my friend likes Galaxy Quest. I think he puts it into the DVD player just to piss me off.


Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:25 pm
Post Re: Your favorite comedies...
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
You mean like The Santa Clause? For me, that statement you made about Allen would make more sense if you replaced the word "good" with the words "into a steaming pile of triple grade A monkey crap.", to paraphrase The Rock.


I rather like to think that he elevated it from that...to just an unsightly pile of rather ordinary scat. ;)

You know, my friend likes Galaxy Quest. I think he puts it into the DVD player just to piss me off.


Or maybe he has good taste. Now if he was watching Wild Hogs...that's a different story.


Oh...and add Hot Fuzz to my list.


Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:10 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr