Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:14 am

Director's Cuts that are actually improvements 
Post Director's Cuts that are actually improvements
From what I've seen, a lot of Director's Cuts just have small scenes here and there that ultimately don't add much to the film's quality. However, there are a couple that seem to actually improve upon the original film in very noticeable ways. I haven't seen it, but apparently the Kingdom of Heaven DC was a big improvement on the original (JB has it as a 3.5 from a 3). I have also heard that the Dark City DC (the DC DC) was a step up, which is impressive to me because I was blown away by the theatrical cut.

Is there a long list of movies that were greatly improved by a director's cut?

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:37 am
Post Re: Director's Cuts that are actually improvements
This topic is useless without Blade Runner: The Final Cut.

Now it's useful

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:49 am
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Das Boot
Blade Runner

Some say Dark City is a mixed bag because the music score is a bit less refined in the new cut but I think it's an improvement.

The Superman (1978) recut is a mixed bag for me where I love some additions and hate others.

Spielberg's 1998 cut of Close Encounters is a definite improvement over the only version that was available on VHS for years (though that one was also a change from the theatrical cut).

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:57 am
I second Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut!! It's a totally different movie that is worthy of epic stature.

Troy Director's Cut is also a much better movie, fleshing out the characters more, as well as adding to the battle scenes.

They say that Daredevil DC is actually a much better film than the original, but I haven't seen it so I can't comment.

Donnie Darko DC explains more but that may diminish the overall movie for some because it takes out the ambiguity and gives more clues.

I don't believe any new Director's Cut of Alexander will be able to save that turd, and to tell you the truth, I don't won't to waste another 220+ min to see if it's better or not.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:24 pm
I really want to see the Troy DC. There are several people I know who hated the original, but loved the DC. And I hated the original, so I am hoping the DC is my cup of tea. :lol:

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:59 pm
''Apocalypse Now: Redux'' is also a mixed bag.

On the one hand, I found the scene where the soldiers exchange gasoline for a few minutes with the Playboy Bunnies, to be a worthy inclusion. It's poignant and elevates the film emotionaly.

On the other hand, I agree with James that the French Plantation segment is just plain awful. It kills the momentum and adds nothing plotwise or characterwise. Coppola made the right call when he took it off the original cut.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:10 pm
The documentary Heart of Darkness features a nice sequence of Coppola rationalizing the decision to cut the French Plantation sequence from his original cut. In 1978 he certainly recognized the sequence didn't work but somehow he had forgotten that by the time he made Redux. I definitely prefer the original cut. The only addition I kind of like is when Willard steals one of Kilgore's surfboards and the helicopters follow them around with Kilgore on the loudspeakers asking to have it back.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:28 pm
Brazil.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:31 pm
Quintaros wrote:
The only addition I kind of like is when Willard steals one of Kilgore's surfboards and the helicopters follow them around with Kilgore on the loudspeakers asking to have it back.

Lol, yea that was just so brilliantly surreal.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:31 pm
kudzu wrote:
Brazil.

Haha. I watched the "Love Conquers All" version once just to see how bad it was. Not a terrible movie but certainly not Brazil.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:33 pm
I have to chime in about the remarkable difference between the Kingdom of Heaven cuts. The theatrical version was forgettable, the directors cut is amazing. Some of the best story lines were cut for the wide release, and boy did the movie suffer because of it.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:20 pm
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
They say that Daredevil DC is actually a much better film than the original, but I haven't seen it so I can't comment.

It's certainly a more coherent movie that the theatrical cut was. Whether that's enough to make it a better film experience is up to the individual viewer.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:32 pm
Quote:

Now it's useful

Ahem. Hold please. When I first opened the thread I expected this~

Aliens: Directors Cut

NOW it's useful :P

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:37 pm
I enjoyed T2 The Director's Cut. Felt it added some more to Sarah Connor in that flick.

The Star Trek II Director's Cut answers a few questions raised by the Theatrical version, and adds a bit more depth to certain scenes, but the changes are mostly cosmetic.

Surprised no-one has mentioned this, but the LotR films are much better in uncut format. Bloody Weinsteins cutting story and character material out just to make more money at the box office. Morons.

I wish Ridley Scott would stop recutting his later films. The material he puts back in adds next to nothing and just bloats the running time.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:43 pm
euphoric_daedalus wrote:
Quote:

Now it's useful

Ahem. Hold please. When I first opened the thread I expected this~

Aliens: Directors Cut

NOW it's useful :P

I think the extended cut features a major misstep in showing the colony receive the message from The Company to look for the derelict ship. It's much more ominous to not see the colony at all until Ripley and the marines arrive. It's an interesting deleted scene but doesn't play well within the film. The other additions are okay but just add bulk to the overall pace. The theatrical cut was lean and mean and that's the way I like to watch it.

baz1701 wrote:
The Star Trek II Director's Cut answers a few questions raised by the Theatrical version, and adds a bit more depth to certain scenes, but the changes are mostly cosmetic.

Almost an identical complaint about the ST2 director's cut. Carol Marcus telling the folks at Space Station Regula 1 to prepare for an evacuation after receiving the message that Reliant is on its way undermines the tension of the sequence when Kirk and company first explore the station. I do like the additional character moments with Scotty and his nephew though.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:57 pm
But the Aliens DC had more Bill Paxton, how can you hate an edition that had more Bill Paxton!

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:31 pm
The only additional Hudson sequence that I remember is on the drop ship with him showing off the different weapons to Ripley. I guess I think it's just a little too-on-the-nose for him to walkthrough all the different gear before we see it in action. Oh yeah, and a scene where he predicts the queen alien will be bad-ass like a queen bee. That was kind of cute.

I certainly don't hate the extended cut. It's a 4.5 star film vs the theatrical which scores a perfect 5.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:38 pm
Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut, I feel, is better film than the original. However, it ends up being a better film by putting pages of The Philosophy of Time Travel on the screen, and paraphrasing Richard Kelly, "Yeah, because everyone wants to read when they go to the movies." Subtitles aside, I know what he means. The pages make it inherently less cinematic, which contradicts the very cinematic first cut. But man that first cut doesn't make sense. I don't think Kelly wanted to make it as attractively convoluted as it is (which is weird, because that's why most people like it). At the same time, he also doesn't think his director's cut is the definite version, so at least he's not bitch-slapping the fans who like the "trippyness" of the first cut. (For the record, I enjoy both of them for different reasons. I like the first one because, like most people think, it's weird and cool and it works on a weird and cool level. I like the second one because it feels more complete and developed.)

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:48 pm
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the director's cut of Amadeus. I find the theatrical version superb, but the Director's Cut is a masterpiece. The added scenes really flesh out Mozart, Salieri and especially Constance even more.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:06 am
Blade Runner: The Final Cut is about as exemplary of a director's cut that you're going to find...although Star Trek: The Motion Picture comes close.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:22 am