Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Movies You Need To See By the End of 2010 
Post Movies You Need To See By the End of 2010
A thread that puts down, semi-permanently, your movie-watching intentions for the rest of the year. 2010 releases only.

In order of interest

1. True Grit
2. Black Swan
3. Exit Through the Gift Shop
4. Sweetgrass
6. 127 Hours

Others are on the list but these come first. The list will be periodically updated.

Now you go.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:46 pm
Post Re: Movies You Need To See By the End of 2010
Here we go:
1.Scott Pilgrim(since it comes out on DVD next month)
2.Unstoppable
3.Faster
4.Skyline
5.The Tourist
6.Inception(on DVD in December)
7.Fair Game
8.Tron Legacy(I wasn't too sure about this one at first but the trailer changed my mind)

There's also a bunch of straight-to-DVD releases I plan on checking out, but it would take too long to list all those.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:25 pm
Social Network - Cinema
Kids Are Alright - November 16th
Restrepo - December 7th
Winter's Bone - Video released today
Piranha 3D - January 11th :-(
Scott Pilgrim - November 9th

I dunno about upcoming movies but there will be a few

Rob

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:22 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Social Network - Cinema
Restrepo - December 7th

Rob

Funny that you put Piranha 3D on the list but, had I not seen it (and it was good, genuinely), I'd probably do the same. Scott Pilgrim is the movie to beat in 2010 -- turn it UP when you get it.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:46 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Social Network - Cinema
Restrepo - December 7th

Rob

Funny that you put Piranha 3D on the list but, had I not seen it (and it was good, genuinely), I'd probably do the same. Scott Pilgrim is the movie to beat in 2010 -- turn it UP when you get it.

Hot Shaun of the Fuzz rocks, so Scott Pilgrim is a must see
Rob

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 pm
Like last year, I'm going to try my hardest to see every film nominated for an Oscar in whatever way possible. This includes but is not limited to: True Grit, 127 Hours, The King's Speech, Black Swan, The Fighter, Blue Valentine, Made in Dagenham, TRON: Legacy, and Rabbit Hole.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to catch Biutiful or Another Year by the end of 2010, though I'll do my best.

I missed some of the earlier releases of this year. I'll watch to catch up with Agora, Wild Grass, Cyrus, Restrepo, Ondine, When You're Strange, The Art of the Steal, Vincere, The Disappearance of Alice Creed, Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child, the two Mesrine films, and maybe some others. If I could watch half of these by the end of the year, I'd be happy.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:27 pm
Pedro wrote:
Like last year, I'm going to try my hardest to see every film nominated for an Oscar in whatever way possible. This includes but is not limited to: True Grit, 127 Hours, The King's Speech, Black Swan, The Fighter, Blue Valentine, Made in Dagenham, TRON: Legacy, and Rabbit Hole.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to catch Biutiful or Another Year by the end of 2010, though I'll do my best.

I missed some of the earlier releases of this year. I'll watch to catch up with Agora, Wild Grass, Cyrus, Restrepo, Ondine, When You're Strange, The Art of the Steal, Vincere, The Disappearance of Alice Creed, Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child, the two Mesrine films, and maybe some others. If I could watch half of these by the end of the year, I'd be happy.

Pedro

Do you have Netflix instant? Vincere, Art of the Steal, When You're Strange and Ondine is there now :-)
Both Mesrine movies and Agora are on DVD at Netflix

If you're not a member, you could join and easily see all of these in one month as they are split across disc and instant!

Not bad eh? All that for $8
Rob

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Pedro

Do you have Netflix instant? Vincere, Art of the Steal, When You're Strange and Ondine is there now :-)

If you're not a member, you could join and easily see all of these in one month as they are split across disc and instant!

Rob

Somebody's getting some serious loyalties, methinks.

Now, a list. If I end up watching half of these I'll run naked through the streets screaming "Mark Jeffries is my Baby's Mama!" With that in mind, here are the one's I'm super excited about:

Dogtooth (this weekend, actually. The most guaranteed item on this list)
True Grit
Black Swan
My Joy
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Certified Copy
Enter the Void
Valhalla Rising (Currently Numero Uno on this list. DVD on the first, according to Amazon)
The Last Train Home
The American
Tuesday, After Christmas
Machete
Wild Grass
Fish Tank
Essential Killing
The Fighter
Promises Written in Water
Road to Nowhere
Carlos
Hahaha / Oki's Movie
Meek's Cutoff
Aurora

And probably some other stuff. Chances are about 1/3 of that list will be watched and another 3rd of that list will be replaced by a bunch of wide releases that I'll actually have access to. The other 3rd is fucked till DVD.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:37 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Pedro

Rob

I've actually been a member of Netflix since 2000. (It's technically my mother's account, but she never uses it.) I have four DVDs out at a time; grandfathered plan. :D It's $16.99 per month, but I get choices regarding what I watch at home. It was a godsend before Instant came around. Now it's just kind of convenient at times, mostly when I'm in a marathon kind of mood.

Those four movies in question are already in my instant queue, which is somewhat massive at the moment. I'll get around to them when I get around to them, I'm sure. My last day of work is Halloween; I'm certain my schedule will free up significantly after that.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:42 am
Pedro

Looks like you have a mini film festival looming in November if you're serious about seeing these films in 2010

God bless your mom!

Rob

PSA - Seen nay more of the DVD's?

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:54 am
Good topic, Sir. So good that I decided to break my self-imposed ban from posting in the "List" section. Every weekend I check imdb and RottenTomatoes for interesting films and make note of those I'd like to see. For this year it's:

Exit Through the Gift Shop
Mother
Get Him to the Greek
Cyrus
The Killer Inside Me
The Disappearance of Alice Creed
Tamara Drewe
The American
I'm Still Here
Easy A
The Town
The Social Network

This obviously doesn't factor in movies yet to be released. It's too much of a crapshoot to decide so far in advance so I prefer to wait until they come out.

Robert Holloway wrote:
PSA - Seen nay more of the DVD's?

That's the first time I've come across a Public Service Announcement written in pig latin.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:25 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Get Him to the Greek

I just saw this for a second time and would like to change my stance to "barely favorable" from "don't bother". It's superior to The Hangover and just about as "good" as Sarah Marshall.

ed_metal_head wrote:
Tamara Drewe
The American
I'm Still Here

Me too x4.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:40 pm
Director

For the rest of the year, these are theatrical releases I want to catch. Hopefully, they'll make it up my way.

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest (I saw the other two, so I might as well see this)
Fair Game
127 Hours
True Grit

And one maybe:

Unstoppable (if indications are that it's any good)

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:07 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Get Him to the Greek

I just saw this for a second time and would like to change my stance to "barely favorable" from "don't bother". It's superior to The Hangover and just about as "good" as Sarah Marshall.

ed_metal_head wrote:
Tamara Drewe
The American
I'm Still Here

Me too x4.

...but I really liked Sarah Marshall!

I know you've seen some of the others I mentioned but you snipped out The Killer Inside Me. Not interested? It's sounds very ambitious. It also has the bob harris seal of approval.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:28 am
Director

Morning Glory
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1
True Grit
Exit through the Gift Shop
The Company Men
The Illusionist
No One Knows About Persian Cats

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:30 pm
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
The Girl Who Played With Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Black Swan
127 Hours
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
The Town
Piranha 3D
Let Me In
Salt
Welcome to the Rileys
Paranormal Activity 2
Unstoppable
Winter's Bone
Tron Legacy
Centurion
Harry Brown
The American

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:56 pm
Blace wrote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
The Girl Who Played With Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Black Swan
127 Hours
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
The Town
Piranha 3D
Let Me In
Salt
Welcome to the Rileys
Paranormal Activity 2
Unstoppable
Winter's Bone
Tron Legacy
Centurion
Harry Brown
The American

Three a week - Nice!
Rob

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:34 pm
True Grit
Never Let Me Go
Wall Street 2
Let Me In
Nowhere Boy
Cairo Time
Father of my Children
Heartbreaker
Love and Other Drugs
127 Hours
Black Swan
Harry Potter
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Mesrine

I'm sure there are others..

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:32 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I know you've seen some of the others I mentioned but you snipped out The Killer Inside Me. Not interested? It's sounds very ambitious. It also has the bob harris seal of approval.

bob harris seal of approval or not, there's something about The Killer Inside Me that just begs for me to wait to see it until I can do it for free.

I see Let Me In made it to the Listing Stage. I've seen the movie and can say that it's a good shot at material that was done better only a few short years ago. There was one improvement: no CGI cats. But there was lots of CGI other stuff.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:58 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I see Let Me In made it to the Listing Stage. I've seen the movie and can say that it's a good shot at material that was done better only a few short years ago. There was one improvement: no CGI cats. But there was lots of CGI other stuff.

In other words it's totally superfluous? I suspected as much. Looks like a decent flick but I'm quite satisfied with the original adaptation.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:54 pm