Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Best actors still working? 
Post Re: Best actors still working?
The Machinist...loved that movie! I never even heard of it until I caught it on HBO or some movie channel a while back.

I agree on Christian Bale, I enjoyed his performances in the Batman movies but there was just too much "hoarse deep voice talking" when he was in superhero mode. My friends and I make fun of that all the time.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:47 pm
Shade wrote:
I should also note that Nic Cage is my favorite actor, hands down.

*ducks for cover*

I absolutely understand why people don't like him and he's certainly in some lousy movies, but I'd put his work in Leaving Las Vegas up against anyone's work, and he's also fantastic in The Weather Man, Matchstick Men, Adaptation, Bringing Out the Dead, and Red Rock West. If nothing else, the dude makes the movies he wants to make and doesn't care about taking risks, and for that I admire him. He also, for better or worse, clearly LOVES acting, and for that I'm thankful too.

It's interesting to see someone say Cage. I agree, he is a really talented actor, I really liked him in all the above roles and Raising Arizona. However, he has become somewhat of a whipping boy because of his choices, not his talent. He makes too many forgettable mindless action films(not that they in and of themselves aren't enjoyable every now and again) like ConAir, Ghost Rider, 8mm, Bangkok Dangerous. He should just learn to say no every once in a while.

As far as others at the top of their game, I would agree with those who have said Daniel Day-Lewis, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Leonardo Dicaprio as the top tier. Denzel hasn't done a whole lot for me since Training Day(I enjoyed American Gangster). Tom Hanks is another guy who is living off his 90's resume a bit. Pacino, Deniro, Nicholson all play over the top versions of themselves these days. Bale is excellent. Pitt doesn't get enough credit. Kevin Spacey could use another good role and we'd all be talking about him again. Sean Penn is nothing short of fantastic but he is a little inconsistent at times. Robert Downey Jr. had a good few years , let's hope he can sustain it and recapture all that promise he once had(check out Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and A Guide to Recognizing your Saints if you only think he arrived again with Iron Man). Guy Pearce could be someone who might explode in the public's eye with the right role. Sames goes for Sam Rockwell. Josh Brolin is on a nice little run. Ed Norton is great but needs to stop having beefs with the directors he works with or just shut up and get behind the camera himself. Javier Bardem hasn't been mentioned enough. Aaron Eckhart is a little underrated, hopefully his turn as Two Face gets him some more screen time. Gary Oldman has settled nicely into the supporting role portion of his career(watch him in The Contender). Bale is talented and intense. I'm sure I have missed others but thats the fun of this forum!

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:05 pm
bob harris wrote:
Shade wrote:
I should also note that Nic Cage is my favorite actor, hands down.

*ducks for cover*

I absolutely understand why people don't like him and he's certainly in some lousy movies, but I'd put his work in Leaving Las Vegas up against anyone's work, and he's also fantastic in The Weather Man, Matchstick Men, Adaptation, Bringing Out the Dead, and Red Rock West. If nothing else, the dude makes the movies he wants to make and doesn't care about taking risks, and for that I admire him. He also, for better or worse, clearly LOVES acting, and for that I'm thankful too.

It's interesting to see someone say Cage. I agree, he is a really talented actor, I really liked him in all the above roles and Raising Arizona. However, he has become somewhat of a whipping boy because of his choices, not his talent. He makes too many forgettable mindless action films(not that they in and of themselves aren't enjoyable every now and again) like ConAir, Ghost Rider, 8mm, Bangkok Dangerous. He should just learn to say no every once in a while.

As far as others at the top of their game, I would agree with those who have said Daniel Day-Lewis, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Leonardo Dicaprio as the top tier. Denzel hasn't done a whole lot for me since Training Day(I enjoyed American Gangster). Tom Hanks is another guy who is living off his 90's resume a bit. Pacino, Deniro, Nicholson all play over the top versions of themselves these days. Bale is excellent. Pitt doesn't get enough credit. Kevin Spacey could use another good role and we'd all be talking about him again. Sean Penn is nothing short of fantastic but he is a little inconsistent at times. Robert Downey Jr. had a good few years , let's hope he can sustain it and recapture all that promise he once had(check out Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and A Guide to Recognizing your Saints if you only think he arrived again with Iron Man). Guy Pearce could be someone who might explode in the public's eye with the right role. Sames goes for Sam Rockwell. Josh Brolin is on a nice little run. Ed Norton is great but needs to stop having beefs with the directors he works with or just shut up and get behind the camera himself. Javier Bardem hasn't been mentioned enough. Aaron Eckhart is a little underrated, hopefully his turn as Two Face gets him some more screen time. Gary Oldman has settled nicely into the supporting role portion of his career(watch him in The Contender). Bale is talented and intense. I'm sure I have missed others but thats the fun of this forum!

Bob

It's hard to disagree with any of this. I would just add that Robert Downey Jr has been a great talent for many years and his finest performance is arguably Chaplin in 1992. It still makes me wonder how he lost to Al Pacino's performance in Scent of a Woman. For years it was uncool to like RDJ.

Rob

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:50 pm
It's hard to disagree with any of this. I would just add that Robert Downey Jr has been a great talent for many years and his finest performance is arguably Chaplin in 1992. It still makes me wonder how he lost to Al Pacino's performance in Scent of a Woman. For years it was uncool to like RDJ.

Rob[/quote]

I agree about it being "uncool" to like Downey Jr. Chaplin was a one man show for him and what a show it was. Pacino got one of those lifetime achievement awards for Scent of a Woman which drives me nuts. I know, the Oscars are what they are but come on, it's supposed to be about the best performance that year. While few actors can talk about a run including GF1 and 2, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, And Justice for All and Crusing, Scent of a Woman was when I started to have a problem with him. Actually, I blame the Academy. They finally award him and its for this movie so he decided to play this role over and over again because that's what he thinks people wanted. Hoo-ha my a**. Back to RDJ. For those of you not all that familar with his resume, check out Home for the Holidays, Wonder Boys, Less than Zero, Two Girls and Guy, A Scanner Darkly, Charlie Bartlet, and of course Zodiac to catch up. I really am pulling for him to find the success I thought he was going to almost 20 years ago.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:18 pm
Two names that immediately pop into my mind:

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Any scene with Tom Hanks and him together in Charlie Wilson's War was ridiculously fun to watch. Great acting. He's great in everything he does, from Mission Impossible to Doubt.

Gary Oldman - His performance as an Illinois Congressman in The Contender might just be my single favorite acting performance. It's certainly up there. Also he managed to take very little screen time in the Harry Potter movies and make Sirius Black someone who the audience really cares about when bad things threaten.

One thing that bugs me about actors sometimes is when they seem to just be playing themselves. Some actors play each role more or less the same: Tom Cruise in a Civil War uniform; Tom Cruise running from aliens; Tom Cruise loving black people. Other actors have the ability to completely convince you of the character. For me it's like when Ebert wrote that he watched the Godfather again in the 90s, and despite his familiarity with Robert Duvall, found himself saying "hey, there's Tom Hagen." Hoffman and Oldman have that ability and do it every time. And without the ACTING!!!! that others, like Sean Penn, seem to fall back on.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:49 am
I get excited when new movies come out starring...

DDL
Dicaprio
Depp
Nicholson
PSH
Penn
RDJ
Jake Gyllenhall (sp?)
Bryan Brown
-----

------ Wait... We're talking males only, right?

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:38 am
Having just watched Hotel Rwanda(and forgiving of his more recent Hotel for Dogs), I would also like to add Don Cheadle to my list.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:33 pm
Daniel Day Lewis and Liam Neeson. Even if the films they appear in are sub-par, they still give great performances.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:35 pm
There are only a few actors that I will go to a movie to see do their work...even if I know the type of movie that they are starring in is a type that I normally avoid. They are so good that they make it watchable...that's real talent, right?

Dicaprio, Bale, Lewis...these guys are just heads and tails above everyone else. Particularly Dicaprio...he could play the shark in Jaws and I'd watch it...and prolly enjoy it. Deniro is still a joy to watch. Norton is a joy to watch. Rockwell, Cheadle, Whitaker, Will Smith...there are many others but these come to mind.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:27 pm