Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:15 am

Best actors still working? 
Post Best actors still working?
Who do you guys think are the best actors that are still making movies?
This is what i think:
Leonardo Dicaprio
Tom Hanks
Matt Damon
Denzel Washington
Daniel Day-Lewis
Johnny Depp

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:59 pm
Post Re: Best actors still working?
Gary Oldman
Daniel Day Lewis
Johnny Depp
Ralph Fiennes
Tom Wilkinson
Christian Bale
Leonardo DiCaprio

I think Sean Penn is a good actor but I rarely get excited about watching him. I feel the same way about Russell Crowe.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:40 pm
Denzel Washington
Christian Bale
Bruce Willis
Johnny Depp when he's not in a Tim Burton movie post-Sleepy Hollow

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:17 am
Patrick wrote:

:) really? why? you don't like the tandem arrangement?

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:43 am
sheryl wrote:
Patrick wrote:

:) really? why? you don't like the tandem arrangement?

I did but they both became lazy when they go work together now, as detailed in a blog accessed by my sig below(Yes, I am not above plugging my blog)

But Depp can still do good things

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:47 am
I don't like huge lists, so this is a tough call for me. It's like picking the best director, you always have to balance those who work less but are more consistent vs those who work more often but are not as consistent. That said, caveats aside, the best working actors right now:

Daniel Day-Lewis. He's never turned in a bad performance, and he's never starred in a bad movie.

Philip Seymour Hoffman. He went from underrated to Oscar winner so quickly that he isn't listed as perhaps the best actor going often enough. He works a lot and isn't always in stunning movies, but he's always fantastic. I'm not convinced there is a better actor alive.

Leonardo DiCaprio. Although he's clearly a better actor, he suffers a big of a Tom Cruise Syndrome: although he doesn't cater to the press and the paparazzi, his perfect looks and public perception often blind people to how good he is. I don't think there's a better actor under 40.

Denzel & Crowe are fantastic as well, although they are a bit pigeon-holed into certain roles now. I think Edward Norton is consistently phenomenal, but he seems to have missed his major leading-man chance and hasn't been in a great movie since 25th Hour.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:21 am
Philip Seymour Hoffman, in my opinion, is only rivaled by Daniel Day-Lewis when it comes to working actors. Both guys are just on another level.

I agree very much with Tom Wilkinson, as well! It's good to see him getting more recognition this past year with big roles in everything from Michael Clayton to RocknRolla.

I'll also say that Paul Giamatti tends to be tremendously consistent, even in bad movies (Lady in the Water). I haven't seen John Adams yet, but I love his work in films like American Splendor and Sideways.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:47 am
Shade wrote:
Leonardo DiCaprio. Although he's clearly a better actor, he suffers a big of a Tom Cruise Syndrome: although he doesn't cater to the press and the paparazzi, his perfect looks and public perception often blind people to how good he is. I don't think there's a better actor under 40.

DiCaprio is tough. He is obviously an immensely talented actor, yet it is so hard to see him as anyone other than Leonardo DiCaprio when I see him on screen. Maybe it is the Titanic effect. Maybe it is his unique looks or voice. I love his acting but find it hard to immerse myself in a film he stars in. The exception might be The Beach. Not a perfect movie obviously, but my perception of him as Leo actually worked quite well for the role of a somewhat whiny American in Asia.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:58 am
Best actors working today:

Daniel Day Lewis
Russell Crowe
Johnny Depp

Just a step below best:

Sean Penn
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Robert Downey Jr.
Edward Norton

Level 3 - one more step down but still very good

Brad Pitt
Christian Bale
Denzel Washington
Morgan Freeman
Leonardo DiCaprio
Hugh Jackman
Viggo Mortensen
Paul Giamatti
Joaquin Phoenix
Liam Neeson
George Clooney
Tom Cruise
Tom Hanks

No longer in their prime but when younger were great:

Robert Dinero
Al Pacino
Robert Duvall

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:09 am
Philip Seymour Hoffman is probably what I consider the best actor still working...I always enjoy seeing whatever role he is in. Whether it's a comedy or a drama...he seems to fit right in regardless and does a stellar job.

Russel Crowe is the one I can't seem to understand everyone loving, i'm not arguing since it's clearly personal preference. Don't get me wrong I love quite a few movies he's been in and he's a good actor, but none of his performances are very memorable to me for being stellar.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:04 am
Christian Bale. I've lost a bit of respect for him after that Terminator 4 tantrum audio leak, but I still think he's an amazing, tremendous actor.

Also, Tony Leung.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:39 pm
Leonardo Dicaprio has the great benefit of being Martin Scorsese's new Robert De Niro. In recent years, he has been in nothing but great movies. His performances in Blood Diamond, The Departed, and Revolutionary Road are nothing short of brilliant. He is personally my favorite actor.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Matt Damon's name should be mentioned with some of these guys. He has great performances in The Departed, Good Will Hunting, and the Bourne Trilogy.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:06 pm
spencerworth34 wrote:
Also, am I the only one who thinks Matt Damon's name should be mentioned with some of these guys. He has great performances in The Departed, Good Will Hunting, and the Bourne Trilogy.

I think Damon is wonderful, but I think he's on the 2nd or third tier of active actors. He's fantastic in Departed, Will Hunting and Ripley, but I don't know that he's great in anything else. I like the Bourne movies, but mostly he just has to look confused.

I personally don't see the love for Depp. Don't get me wrong, I think he's also in that 2nd or 3rd tier with Damon, but I think his best performances (Gilbert Grape, Donnie Brasco) were decades ago. He's funny and quirky, but I never see anything other than Depp. Essentially, he never surprises me, and I don't think he challenges himself.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:47 pm
I also like to add Brad Pitt, I think he's really underrated as an actor and maybe he would've gotten extreme respect and an Oscar if he wasn't so god-damned pretty

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:13 pm
I was surprised how good Dicaprio is in Revolutionary Road (even more surprised by the lack of award recognition). Personally, I preferred his performance over Kate Winslet in the film. Haven't always been a Dicaprio fan but he won me over with consistently good performances and good film choices.

I forgot about Philip Seymour Hoffman! He is awesome too.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:26 pm
I should also note that Nic Cage is my favorite actor, hands down.

*ducks for cover*

I absolutely understand why people don't like him and he's certainly in some lousy movies, but I'd put his work in Leaving Las Vegas up against anyone's work, and he's also fantastic in The Weather Man, Matchstick Men, Adaptation, Bringing Out the Dead, and Red Rock West. If nothing else, the dude makes the movies he wants to make and doesn't care about taking risks, and for that I admire him. He also, for better or worse, clearly LOVES acting, and for that I'm thankful too.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:10 pm
As soon as I saw "Nic Cage", I imagined the rest of your post as a Nic Cage inner monologue.

You do make a strong case, however, I think he's certainly underappreciated. He gets the worst roles, but when he has good material he's very enjoyable.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:26 pm
I think Nicolas Cage is a good actor. Yes, he has been in a number of really bad movies. However, he has also done a number of very good movies:

Raising Arizona
Honeymoon In Vegas
Adaptation
Matchstick Men
Lord Of War

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:18 am
Anthony Hopkins

Ian McKellen

Morgan Freeman

Tom Hanks

Russell Crowe

Christian Bale

Daniel Day-Lewis & Gary Oldman (two of the best and most chameleonic character actors alive)

Edward Norton

Liam Neeson & Ralph Fiennes are (or can be) great as well, but I don't think they've challenged themselves recently. I think Fiennes' best was Schindler's List and Neeson's was Michael Collins (honorable mention to his Schindler performance).

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:23 pm
CHW wrote:
Christian Bale. I've lost a bit of respect for him after that Terminator 4 tantrum audio leak, but I still think he's an amazing, tremendous actor.

Also, Tony Leung.

Hey, that tantrum thing happens more that you might want to believe. His only mistake was allowing it to be recorded.
He's quite intense. I guess you have to be to be in the shape he was for American Psycho and then The Machinist.

Rob

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 pm