Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:46 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
"Classics" that you dislike 
Author Message
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
ilovemovies wrote:
Patrick wrote:
I'll say this about West Side Story...it is the manliest musical ever made.


I would strongly disagree with you there. There is absolutely NOTHING manly about that movie whatsoever.
Yeah no kidding! I'll stick my tongue in an electrical socket before I EVER see that piece of garbage again!


Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:31 pm
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
Patrick wrote:
Think of another musical that has brawls and knife fights.
Conversely, think of another movie that has taken something as inherently badass as the brawl or the knife fight and turned it into a supreme exercise in sissiness. OH SNAP.


Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:34 pm
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
Ken wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Think of another musical that has brawls and knife fights.
Conversely, think of another movie that has taken something as inherently badass as the brawl or the knife fight and turned it into a supreme exercise in sissiness. OH SNAP.


My words may be a bit misleading and even though West Side Story isn't that manly on its own. Compared to every other musical it is the manliest musical ever made even if everyone prances like fairies.


Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:02 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 1904
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
Patrick wrote:
Oh, Repo doesn't count for the simple fact that I haven't seen it.


Repo's one of those musicals that took a lot of guts to make. Not to mention brains, kidneys, livers... I didn't check to see if it was manly as well.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:36 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
"A Clockwork Orange", "Taxi Driver", and "Blue Velvet" I didn't find to be "classic" worthy. All are okay movies to me, but 'Orange' got to carried away at points, 'Driver''s character breaking out I didn't find to be as alarming as everyone thought, and 'Velvet' started out great then got pretentious and messy during its second half. That said, I have plans to see all three movies again at some point, probably 3-5 years down the line or so, maybe my opinion will change.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 1904
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
A few more: I never much cared for Sunset Boulevard. However, whenever I see an actress or character chewing the scenery, I say she's on the way to Norma Desmondhood. See Christine Baranski's actress character in Bowfinger, who's at least halfway there.

I also don't like Double Indemnity because I strongly dislike Stanwyck's performance. Strange, because I usually love her. I will say, though, that Edward G. Robinson is outstanding in his supporting role. It may be his best performance.

Little Caesar, on the other hand, is a really badly made film, with an awful Robinson performance and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath with gangster classics like Public Enemy and Scarface: The Shame of a Nation.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:25 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1144
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
While I wouldn't say I dislike any of these films, I definitely don't understand all the hype surrounding them:

"GoodFellas"
"Titanic"
"Schindler's List"
"Saving Private Ryan"
"The Usual Suspects"
"The Matrix"
"Chicago"
"Rocky"
"Gone with the Wind"
"Some Like It Hot"
"Vertigo"
"Psycho"

On a side note, it seems really hard to truly love many Old Hollywood movies (i.e. pre-60s) if you don't see them until later in your life -- mostly because you've likely already seen several subsequent movies that were inspired by/derived from them, and, thus, lose a good deal of their impact. :?


Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:52 pm
Profile
Director

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 1902
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
I agree with you on Some Like It Hot. I didn't find that movie to be remotely funny. I mean, it wasn't dreadful to sit through, I just didn't find it to be funny.


Add the Evil Dead movies to the list for me. I really hate those two movies. Haven't seen Army of Darkness. Don't think I care to anymore. I've had enough of Ash and the book of the dead.


Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:32 pm
Profile
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
Patrick wrote:
Ken wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Think of another musical that has brawls and knife fights.
Conversely, think of another movie that has taken something as inherently badass as the brawl or the knife fight and turned it into a supreme exercise in sissiness. OH SNAP.


My words may be a bit misleading and even though West Side Story isn't that manly on its own. Compared to every other musical it is the manliest musical ever made even if everyone prances like fairies.


http://www.cracked.com/article_15165_8-manliest-musicals.html


Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:07 pm
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
ShrunkenHead wrote:
Patrick wrote:

My words may be a bit misleading and even though West Side Story isn't that manly on its own. Compared to every other musical it is the manliest musical ever made even if everyone prances like fairies.


http://www.cracked.com/article_15165_8-manliest-musicals.html


That list has the abortions called Grease and Sweeney Todd...FAIL!


Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:29 pm
Director

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 1902
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
Wait, you mean I'm actually not the only who didn't like Sweeney Todd?

BTW, even though I didn't like it, Sweeney Todd is definitely a manlier musical than West Side Story.


Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:12 am
Profile
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
ilovemovies wrote:
Wait, you mean I'm actually not the only who didn't like Sweeney Todd?

BTW, even though I didn't like it, Sweeney Todd is definitely a manlier musical than West Side Story.


Eh, abortion was too much for Sweeney Todd but I gave up on Tim Burton making a good movie ever again or at least one with Johnny Depp.

And no, it wasn't manlier at all, it was just more emo than some people equate to manliness.


Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:44 am
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
SHANE!!! My God, what is so great about this cheesy movie? I have no desire to sit through two hours of that little annoying kid ever again. Good final shot, but that's about it. Come to think of it, anything by George Stevens is worthy of some measure of dislike. His work is just too dated compared to the other big directors of his time. I might say the same thing about Kazan. Seriously, what's so masterful about On the Waterfront?


Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:20 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1144
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
ilovemovies wrote:
I agree with you on Some Like It Hot. I didn't find that movie to be remotely funny. I mean, it wasn't dreadful to sit through, I just didn't find it to be funny.


It's well-made and amusing and everything, but it's hardly 'laugh-out-loud-nearly-all-the-way-through' hilarious like "This Is Spinal Tap" or any Monty Python film.


Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:07 pm
Profile
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
MGamesCook wrote:
SHANE!!! My God, what is so great about this cheesy movie? I have no desire to sit through two hours of that little annoying kid ever again. Good final shot, but that's about it. Come to think of it, anything by George Stevens is worthy of some measure of dislike. His work is just too dated compared to the other big directors of his time. I might say the same thing about Kazan. Seriously, what's so masterful about On the Waterfront?
The acting.

In other words, Kazan is a strong director, but Brando deserves the lion's share of the credit for On the Waterfront. It's his movie.


Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:21 pm
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
1. The Third Man. I found it to be kind of boring until the chase in the sewers and I don't get it whatsoever.

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey. I tried to like it but I just don't, its just pure boring in my mind. Though the second half is better than the first half.

3. City Lights. I Hate Charlie Chaplin. His movies are in my opinion terribly unfunny and dumb.

4. Children of Men. I know this is nowhere near a classic, but considering the praise that has been heaped upon this movie in this forum I thought I would just add this to show that I disagree.


Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:59 pm
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
Meatloaf wrote:
1. The Third Man. I found it to be kind of boring until the chase in the sewers and I don't get it whatsoever.

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey. I tried to like it but I just don't, its just pure boring in my mind. Though the second half is better than the first half.

3. City Lights. I Hate Charlie Chaplin. His movies are in my opinion terribly unfunny and dumb.

4. Children of Men. I know this is nowhere near a classic, but considering the praise that has been heaped upon this movie in this forum I thought I would just add this to show that I disagree.
Agree with you on both 2001 and Children Of Men, the former is coma-inducingly dull, and the latter just isn't that memorable IMO.


Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:41 pm
Director

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 1902
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
I think 2001 is overrated but not because I find it boring. I actually didn't find it boring. No the reason for me is because the last 20 minutes, while pleasing to the eyes, made no sense whatsoever. I defy anyone to tell me what that was all about.

I mean, I've heard that if you read the book the ending makes more sense, but IMO, movies should stand on their own. If you have to read the book to understand the ending, then the movie failed IMO.


Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:27 pm
Profile
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
ilovemovies wrote:
I think 2001 is overrated but not because I find it boring. I actually didn't find it boring. No the reason for me is because the last 20 minutes, while pleasing to the eyes, made no sense whatsoever. I defy anyone to tell me what that was all about.

I mean, I've heard that if you read the book the ending makes more sense, but IMO, movies should stand on their own. If you have to read the book to understand the ending, then the movie failed IMO.


There are some attempts to make heads and/or tails of 2001's conclusion right here:

HERE: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1275

2001 has an ending that may be differently interpreted by 6000 people, all claiming they've got the symbolism down.


Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:14 am
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
ilovemovies wrote:
I think 2001 is overrated but not because I find it boring. I actually didn't find it boring. No the reason for me is because the last 20 minutes, while pleasing to the eyes, made no sense whatsoever. I defy anyone to tell me what that was all about.

I mean, I've heard that if you read the book the ending makes more sense, but IMO, movies should stand on their own. If you have to read the book to understand the ending, then the movie failed IMO.


Well first off, the book and the screenplay were written in tandem with Kubrick going to Clarke for help and vice-versa. Secondly, Clarke has gone on record saying that if you understood 2001, they failed. They wanted to raise more questions than answers.


Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:55 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr