Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:03 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
"Classics" that you dislike 
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
TunaFanForever wrote:
thewatcher wrote:
:cry: LOTR shaped my childhood!
Honestly though, what do you dislike about these movies? I can understand not LOVING them but...there's nothing repugnant about them. Aside from the running length what are your qualms?

For some reason, it was just excruciatingly boring. There just wasn't one thing to enjoy about it. After Fellowship, I didn't even bother to see the other 2.

I know it was well loved by the masses, but oddly, the couple that sat next to me in the theater that day ended up doing what I wanted to do-walked out frustratingly after the 1st 30 minutes or so.

Well, Two Towers and Return of the King are definitely a faster pace than Fellowship, but if you found it full-on boring, I don't know what can be done for you.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:30 pm
thewatcher wrote:
TunaFanForever wrote:
thewatcher wrote:
:cry: LOTR shaped my childhood!
Honestly though, what do you dislike about these movies? I can understand not LOVING them but...there's nothing repugnant about them. Aside from the running length what are your qualms?

For some reason, it was just excruciatingly boring. There just wasn't one thing to enjoy about it. After Fellowship, I didn't even bother to see the other 2.

I know it was well loved by the masses, but oddly, the couple that sat next to me in the theater that day ended up doing what I wanted to do-walked out frustratingly after the 1st 30 minutes or so.

Well, Two Towers and Return of the King are definitely a faster pace than Fellowship, but if you found it full-on boring, I don't know what can be done for you.

Hey, maybe he just has no taste for fantasy.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:45 pm
Chariots of Fire - Most dull and boring sports movie I have ever seen.

2001: A Space Odyssey - It's well made, certainly; but it's so slow moving and dull in spots that I just can't bear to watch it again. That overindulgent "Star Gate" sequence was an endurance test for me.

The Exorcist - Maybe it's a result of having watched too many horror movies, but I didn't find this scary in the least. In fact, I fell asleep halfway through.

The Pink Panther - I thought I was getting Peter Sellers, instead I got a story about a renowned thief that played more like a romantic drama while the Inspector wanders in and out of the film as a supporting character. Really, the most memorable part of the entire series was Clouseau and he's barely in the first film.

My Fair Lady - Bloated, overlong musical with its only saving grace in Audrey Hepburn. You could take out at least half the musical numbers and it wouldn't make a difference.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:07 am
Everyone has a classic they hate, or perhaps a director they dislike. For me it's always been George Stevens. From A Place in the Sun to Shane to Giant I've always found his stuff extremely dated and cheesily melodramatic

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:55 am
Goubot wrote:
Eraserhead - Augh.

Just curious, why?

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:11 pm
I dislike these movies not because I think they are bad but I just could not get the adulation heaped on them

1: Gone With the Wind:
Dragged too long. The first half was way more interesting.

3: Citizen Kane:
Best movie of time my ass. Maybe in the 40s it was a revelation but I did not find anything about the story to be spectacular.

4: Psycho:
Isn't this supposed to be scary? Maybe I'm jaded.

5: Vertigo:
Tried very hard not to fall asleep.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:49 am
Gaffer

Rear Window
Key Largo
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
French Connection
The Matrix
Blade Runner
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Evil Dead 2
Darkman

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:23 am
Producer

I enjoyed 2001: A Space Odyssey until the last 20 minutes. Then the movie lost me. I have no clue what the hell was going on during those last 20 minutes.

I hated Snow White And the Seven Dwarfs. I found it to be insufferable and annoying with the most lousiest animation I have ever seen. And don't use the fact that it came out in 1937 as an excuse. Fantasia came out just 3 years later and the animation in that is stunning.

Some Like It Hot - Sorry didn't find it funny at all. It's not dreadful but it's not funny either.

I didn't hate North by Northwest, infact I actually enjoyed it but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the lead protagonist wasn't so annoying. I guess back in the 50/60's that was what was considered to be charming but I found him to be insufferable. I've always wanted this movie to be remade only remake it into a darker more serious story rather than it having the same tone as a James Bond movie.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:48 am
I dislike many classic films, but none moreso then the aboslute travesty that is THe Sound Of Music, the musical numbers in that film made me ears bleed! Hell i'd rather listen to country music, which I hate with a passion thne have to EVER hear those horrible muscial numbers ever again, I enver liked musicals period actually, the big problem is that a story feels shallow when it's told through musical numbers and it's hard to judge acting in the traditonal sense becasue of that as well, I also didn't care that much for Rear Window when I saw it on TV, I thought it was pretty average at best.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:54 am
Producer

Yeah, I'm not a fan of The Sound of Music either. I don't hate it though. I'll admit the cinematography is very good at times and the acting is okay. But I'm not a fan.

It's not as bad as another classical musical though. I'm talking about West Side Story. Now that IS a movie I hate. I can't stand it. Horrible movie.

I'm not sure if Hello Dolly is considered a classic but if it is, then it's THE worse so called classic of all time. I HATE, HATE, HATE it!

Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:07 am
Vexer wrote:
I dislike many classic films, but none moreso then the aboslute travesty that is THe Sound Of Music, the musical numbers in that film made me ears bleed! Hell i'd rather listen to country music, which I hate with a passion thne have to EVER hear those horrible muscial numbers ever again, I enver liked musicals period actually, the big problem is that a story feels shallow when it's told through musical numbers and it's hard to judge acting in the traditonal sense becasue of that as well, I also didn't care that much for Rear Window when I saw it on TV, I thought it was pretty average at best.

I can't abide musicals much, either. The suspension of disbelief required for so many genres just doesn't exist between myself and the musical film. I thought Moulin Rouge! was grotesque and second your submission of The Sound of Music. It was long, painfully cheerful (at least the first half), and too much to contend with. Not my cup of tea.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:03 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of The Sound of Music either. I don't hate it though. I'll admit the cinematography is very good at times and the acting is okay. But I'm not a fan.

It's not as bad as another classical musical though. I'm talking about West Side Story. Now that IS a movie I hate. I can't stand it. Horrible movie.

I'm not sure if Hello Dolly is considered a classic but if it is, then it's THE worse so called classic of all time. I HATE, HATE, HATE it!

Perhaps I can understand your dislike for West Side Story: the lead actors somehow are miscast. Beymer as Tony is too soft and Wood as Maria has trouble looking even remotely puerto rican and once again: most of her singing is dubbed. That's movie casting for you... Yes, the late 50s street slang is badly dated, daddy-o, and anyone who didn't live throught the 50s might see it as totally unauthentic.
IMHO though: the music and choreography alone are already worth more than the price of admission. Yes it is cheezy and dated, but as a filmed musical it is still one of my all time favorites. Bernstein's score contains not one dull moment. Pure genius.

Yes, Hello Dolly doesn't do much for me either. Babs is great as always, but she was too young for the role. The type of story and the music don't do much for me either....But I don't hate it.

Can't think of any classic I really dislike right now. Perhaps "A Passage to India" - well didn't hate it, but I found it rather boring. Also "Ghandi" - perhaps a great film - and certainly a very important one (someone had to make it)but I found it rather uninteresting and very boring.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:25 pm
Director

The Fireman's Ball

The 400 Blows

I tried multiple times, but have never been able to get through either one of these, even though Ball tops out around 90 minutes or so.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:26 pm
I'll say this about West Side Story...it is the manliest musical ever made.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:26 pm
I dont per se dislike all of these, but some i def dont 'like'/understand the acclaim (to certain extents at least)

Raging Bull
Blade Runner
The Conversation
Citizen Kane
The Poseidon Adventure
The Texas Chainsaw Masacre
And a bunch of the old musicals and Disney films

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 pm
Producer

Terms of Endearment. Manipulative, phony, with unlikeable characters, then tries to make you cry for the death for a character who I couldn't stand. For years afterward, ads tried to get me to see movies by comparing them to "Terms of Endearment" and sent me running in the other direction.

Not fond of Marty, Apocalypse Now or The Sound of Music, either, but not to the point that I actually hate them.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:04 am
I'm not really big on any Coen films, I get why people like them, but they're just not my thing.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:08 am
As I recently stated on the "Last Movie You Watched" thread:

Dr. Strangelove.

It just didn't do anything for me. The satire fell flat, the movie dragged, and Sellers had at least one excruciating performance.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:00 am
Producer

Patrick wrote:

I would strongly disagree with you there. There is absolutely NOTHING manly about that movie whatsoever.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:19 pm
ilovemovies wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I would strongly disagree with you there. There is absolutely NOTHING manly about that movie whatsoever.

Think of another musical that has brawls and knife fights. I'll be waiting.

Oh, Repo doesn't count for the simple fact that I haven't seen it.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:31 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next