Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:48 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
"Classics" that you dislike 
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
Manos, the Hands of Fate.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:03 pm
Gone with the Wind.

I have tried many, many times.

Unfortunately for me, I read the book first in high school. I was flying to Australia and wanted a long book to read--so I decided to pack Gone with the Wind. I love the book so much, I just expected to love the movie. I was sadly disappointed. But everyone gets affronted when I say I don't like the movie. The book was just so much better than the movie would ever be.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:30 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
I think 2001 could potentially pop up often...it's either fervently loved or fervently hated. I know a lot of people who cannot even get past the apes ("Why is this taking so long?!") Luckily, I fall into the former category. In fact, I saw a 70mm blowup of 2001 back in 2001 at the birthplace of HAL: Urbana, IL, at Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival. When you see a 70mm print of 2001, eighth row center, on a screen that is about, oh, 50 feet tall...you will never discount the impact of this film again.

Erik :)

Erik

Looks like we've had similar reactions and experiences!! The 70mm experience is something else, eh?

2001 is a struggle though. The combination of a very ambiguous storyline and an opening sequence lasting 20 minutes where "nothing happens".

and for me...

I don't know of any image in cinema that makes my nerves tingle more than the planetary alignment and the opening title to some little heard piece of classical music.

Rob
When I first recognized film as something more substansial then something to pass the time, which was at about 13 or so, "2001" was my favorite movie. Now I can't see it as anything more than a creative interpretation of Nietzsches ubermensch idea.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:34 pm
I'll be the first to mention "Citizen Kane". It may be an "important" movie, but that doesn't make it good.
Also "Some Like it Hot". I suppose dressing up like a woman was high comedy back in the day. I'll take "The Appartment" this any day.
Also "Reservoir Dogs" (though Steve Buscemi was great). I much prefer "Pulp Fiction".

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:27 pm
2001 and Gone With the Wind for me.

And while I like Citizen Kane it would be nowhere near my top 100.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:55 pm
DAR wrote:
2001 and Gone With the Wind for me.

And while I like Citizen Kane it would be nowhere near my top 100.

Grrrr

I have instructed evil space machines to hover over your dwelling and zap you to oblivion. Your only escape is to keep watching Citizen Kane on a continuous loop until you can tell them that it's your favorite film of all time :-)

Rob

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:10 am
I also dislike "The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie". Actually I dislike almost everything Bunuel has made.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:07 am
Quintaros wrote:
laylowmoe wrote:
Oh, and the scene where HAL kills Poole is an SFX epic fail.

What's your problem with the SFX when HAL kills Poole? It's off-screen.

Precisely because it's off-screen. It needed a shot of what exactly the pod did to Poole - collide into him, cut his lifeline, pick him up and throw him, or whatever. All we got is a menacing shot of the pod moving towards camera, and suddenly Poole is spinning off into space.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:19 am
Pulp Fiction - what was so good, or even decent about this? There was absolutely no plot-it was nothing more than watching a 2 hour MTV video.

Raging Bull - it just didn't even come close to punching me in the gut, alot like Scorcese's Goodfellas did.

Borat - no different from your typical Eddie Murphy movie-even a 6 year old could have come up with all this humor. Only difference being that critics would have clobbered Murphy.

French Connection - to be frank, the sequel was THE classic. I thought this was just OK, at best. Even Hackman's performance in the sequel, not the original, was the Oscar worthy one.

Lord of the Rings - OK, I know I'm getting to get laughed at for this, but I *hated* this movie. I wanted to walk out after the first 30 minutes, and I actually wished I had afterwards.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:42 am
TunaFanForever wrote:
Pulp Fiction - what was so good, or even decent about this? There was absolutely no plot-it was nothing more than watching a 2 hour MTV video.

Raging Bull - it just didn't even come close to punching me in the gut, alot like Scorcese's Goodfellas did.

Borat - no different from your typical Eddie Murphy movie-even a 6 year old could have come up with all this humor. Only difference being that critics would have clobbered Murphy.

French Connection - to be frank, the sequel was THE classic. I thought this was just OK, at best. Even Hackman's performance in the sequel, not the original, was the Oscar worthy one.

Lord of the Rings - OK, I know I'm getting to get laughed at for this, but I *hated* this movie. I wanted to walk out after the first 30 minutes, and I actually wished I had afterwards.

My question would be:

What drew you to JB's website?

-I'm not attacking you for your likes, please don't take it as such, BUT the movies that you don't like would seem to place you out-of-step enough with JB's likes/dislikes that it would seem you haven't found your 'critic match" yet.

I believe that most of us were drawn to this forum because we'd enjoyed movies that JB had enjoyed and did not enjoy what he did not enjoy and sought his advice for movie-going guideance.

Thoughts??

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:33 am
TunaFanForever wrote:

:cry: LOTR shaped my childhood!
Honestly though, what do you dislike about these movies? I can understand not LOVING them but...there's nothing repugnant about them. Aside from the running length what are your qualms?

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:49 am
Quote:
Also "Some Like it Hot". I suppose dressing up like a woman was high comedy back in the day.

I'll second this one. I don't find it funny at all, and it mystifies me that it keeps showing up on lists of the top comedies of all time.

Another supposed comedy classic that I loathe is Bringing Up Baby.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:52 am
I'll throw in Rushmore and The Usual Suspects to my original list.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:53 am
Goubot wrote:

I don't know if you can quite call Rushmore a "Classic", you might have to preface it with "Cult"

Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:57 am
thewatcher wrote:
Goubot wrote:

I don't know if you can quite call Rushmore a "Classic", you might have to preface it with "Cult"

I dunno. It has a Criterion (which doesn't mean anything by itself) and seems to find its way to a lot of favorite movie lists. You are probably right, though.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:06 am
laylowmoe wrote:
Quintaros wrote:
laylowmoe wrote:
Oh, and the scene where HAL kills Poole is an SFX epic fail.

What's your problem with the SFX when HAL kills Poole? It's off-screen.

Precisely because it's off-screen. It needed a shot of what exactly the pod did to Poole - collide into him, cut his lifeline, pick him up and throw him, or whatever. All we got is a menacing shot of the pod moving towards camera, and suddenly Poole is spinning off into space.

I’ve never read anywhere that that was due to an inadequacy of the special effects crew to depict the sequence. I always thought it was a directorial decision. And it’s always worked for me.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:49 am
Goubot wrote:
thewatcher wrote:
Goubot wrote:

I dunno. It has a Criterion (which doesn't mean anything by itself) and seems to find its way to a lot of favorite movie lists. You are probably right, though.

Armageddon has a Criterion and it sucked, what's your point?

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:55 am
"Grand Hotel" (1932). There were a few good moments, but overall it's not an experience I want to re-live.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:11 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
What drew you to JB's website?

-I'm not attacking you for your likes, please don't take it as such, BUT the movies that you don't like would seem to place you out-of-step enough with JB's likes/dislikes that it would seem you haven't found your 'critic match" yet.

I believe that most of us were drawn to this forum because we'd enjoyed movies that JB had enjoyed and did not enjoy what he did not enjoy and sought his advice for movie-going guideance.

Thoughts??

My favorite critics tend to be the ones who's WRITINGS I get drawn into, not so much how much I agree or lack thereof with them. JB writes with such a passion, which is why I've been a fan of his reviews for years. Plus reading critics' reviews that agree with me at least 90% of the time gets boring b/c I don't get to read different POVs.

BTW-like James, I hated The Sixth Sense as well.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:32 pm
thewatcher wrote:
:cry: LOTR shaped my childhood!
Honestly though, what do you dislike about these movies? I can understand not LOVING them but...there's nothing repugnant about them. Aside from the running length what are your qualms?

For some reason, it was just excruciatingly boring. There just wasn't one thing to enjoy about it. After Fellowship, I didn't even bother to see the other 2.

I know it was well loved by the masses, but oddly, the couple that sat next to me in the theater that day ended up doing what I wanted to do-walked out frustratingly after the 1st 30 minutes or so.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:36 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next