Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
"Classics" that you dislike 
Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
The Shining Wizard wrote:
I either hate or am indifferent toward most Stanley Kubrick films.

I loathe "City of God."

Some other films I dislike:

Alien
Children of Men
Pan's Labyrinth
Life is Beautiful
Donnie Darko

Probably some more but I can't think of any more atm.

Wiz, I figure those you can't think of are on my non-existent favourite movie list since your taste is the complete opposite to mine. When I heard "Aliens is way, way better" I nearly fainted.

Evenflow8112 wrote:
Just a quick drop-off before class:

'Breathless'. How can 90% of film critics be so blind? This is pretentious, snide garbage with zero entertainment value with the exception of some interesting dialogue. It's impact may be unimpeachable, but I also find its artistic merits to be severely lacking.

I love this film totally. The "pretentious" label is something I just don't get for this one. However, I find your "zero entertainment" criticism far more puzzling. If you forget the highbrow, Breathless remains one cool gangster film. Belmondo is doubly cool and influential. I'd argue that Bonnie and Clyde wouldn't exist if it wasn't for this film.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:41 am
I have this thing for Pulp Fiction and I'm kind of glad to read here that I am not the only one :)
But most probably I just didn't get the point (if there was any?) and/or maybe it has something to do with my general dislike in scenes where there's blood exposed (or at least this way as it was done there).

And Casablanca - here certainly no dislike, but rather not getting the hype - after all the praise I was expecting something extraordinary, breathtaking. Maybe I should give it another try...

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Wiz, I figure those you can't think of are on my non-existent favourite movie list since your taste is the complete opposite to mine. When I heard "Aliens is way, way better" I nearly fainted.

Lol you should make a top 10 or something, and see if I like or dislike any of those movies. Could be interesting.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:16 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Just a quick drop-off before class:

'Breathless'. How can 90% of film critics be so blind? This is pretentious, snide garbage with zero entertainment value with the exception of some interesting dialogue. It's impact may be unimpeachable, but I also find its artistic merits to be severely lacking.

Oh give me a small, tiny, little, itsy-bitsy fucking break. It has artistic merit to spare -- the viewer is in the position of siding with a Bogart-obsessed murderer or wanting his lunatic, hideously-damaged girlfriend to seize the day. It may be snide and it is definitely pretentious but it's also challenging, thought-provoking and an altogether new take on a love story. The entertainment value is through-the-roof: how far can these self-absorbed jerks go before learning their lessons? I would be tempted (if I were properly sloshed) to call it a thriller for all the investment required to see these people through to the end.

But it's your opinion and I love you like a milkshake, my little prince.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:50 am
These aren't necessarily films I dislike. They are more films where I had a 'meh' reaction. I also wanted to say that if this makes my taste in films terrible then so be it...just know that I said it first.
'Breathless' and 'Pierrot Le Fou'(Well I'm not sure if this one counts...)-These films scream 'Look how cool I am.I'm Jean-Luc Goddard. You better love my films!'

'Vertigo'-.....It's my least favorite Hitchcock film I've seen. I like Lifeboat and Rope more than Vertigo.....

'Citizen Kane'- I know what your thinking. This is a popular choice and I know absolutely nothing about film etc etc. I think from a technical standpoint the film is great but I wasn't blown away by the story itself.I couldn't feel sorry for the main character.

'The 400 Blows' I get it but I guess I don't at the same time.

'Apocalypse Now','The Godfather' and 'The Godfather Part II'- Pretty much the same way I feel about 'Citizen Kane'. These films are technically great but that's about it for me.

'Raging Bull','Taxi Driver' and to a lesser extent 'Goodfellas'-The same way I feel about 'Citizen Kane' and Coppola's work above. All 3 are technically great and well acted but I wasn't super blown away like everyone else is by them.

For reference, here are 'classics' that met the hype for me and then some.
2001:A Space Odyssey
Annie Hall
Ikiru
Psycho
Lawrence Of Arabia

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:16 pm
floatingworld wrote:
These aren't necessarily films I dislike. They are more films where I had a 'meh' reaction. I also wanted to say that if this makes my taste in films terrible then so be it...just know that I said it first.
'Breathless' and 'Pierrot Le Fou'(Well I'm not sure if this one counts...)-These films scream 'Look how cool I am.I'm Jean-Luc Goddard. You better love my films!'

'Vertigo'-.....It's my least favorite Hitchcock film I've seen. I like Lifeboat and Rope more than Vertigo.....

'Citizen Kane'- I know what your thinking. This is a popular choice and I know absolutely nothing about film etc etc. I think from a technical standpoint the film is great but I wasn't blown away by the story itself.I couldn't feel sorry for the main character.

'The 400 Blows' I get it but I guess I don't at the same time.

'Apocalypse Now','The Godfather' and 'The Godfather Part II'- Pretty much the same way I feel about 'Citizen Kane'. These films are technically great but that's about it for me.

'Raging Bull','Taxi Driver' and to a lesser extent 'Goodfellas'-The same way I feel about 'Citizen Kane' and Coppola's work above. All 3 are technically great and well acted but I wasn't super blown away like everyone else is by them.

For reference, here are 'classics' that met the hype for me and then some.
2001:A Space Odyssey
Annie Hall
Ikiru
Psycho
Lawrence Of Arabia

Cool post even if I disagree with most of your choices. You've not exactly slaughtered the sacred cows -- you just didn't find in them what you thought you might. That's okay in my book. Perhaps if you had called The Godfather incompetent (same goes for everything but the Godard) I would be posting something different.

But I suspect you're right about Godard, Breathless aside. While I liked Alphaville and Breathless, Godard remains my greatest disappointment in my dive into film. So much of what he did gets the Honor Treatment but he was just about the most shallow and arrogant filmmaker I encountered on my way through French cinema. I believe his films, aside from Breathless and Alphaville, deserve reconsideration in order to unmount them as 'great'. A fresh look would reveal him as a minor curiosity.

But, then again, he hasn't done anything considered relevant for a couple of decades so maybe Godard himself has helped my cause.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:50 pm
There are certain films for which you need to have had certain experiences in your life, or you're not going to appreciate them. For those films, it's not a matter of feeling sorry for a character, so much as it's seeing more of yourself in the character than you'd like to admit.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:34 pm
Ken wrote:
There are certain films for which you need to have had certain experiences in your life, or you're not going to appreciate them. For those films, it's not a matter of feeling sorry for a character, so much as it's seeing more of yourself in the character than you'd like to admit.

Ken, I really like and agree with your posts and all but couldn't you cite examples when you post something like this? Rather than suspect you mean 'Taxi Driver' it would be better if you actually wrote something like that. You've, in this case, offered a speech bubble without any reason.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:46 pm
It applies to several of the films just mentioned, including Taxi Driver, but the remark about feeling sorry for the character was a sidelong reference to Citizen Kane.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:48 pm
Ken wrote:
It applies to several of the films just mentioned, including Taxi Driver, but the remark about feeling sorry for the character was a sidelong reference to Citizen Kane.

I guess I can understand that. In general though,I thought his performance was good in the film(Citizen Kane) but it didn't move me like it has many people. It didn't wow me either.The entire film left me cold. Again if my film taste is terrible because of this then so be it.
Maybe years down the road I will fall in love with it(and all the films I listed) but for now it's just 'good' to me instead of amazing.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:04 pm
Director

floatingworld wrote:

Yes, agree 100% with you. I watched it without knowing anything about it, and came out thinking John Dall outacted Jimmy Stewart. The filming technique was brilliant, with the "one-take" look, even though it wasn't techincally possible back then. I also admired the fact Hitchcock made the day pass by with the background of the city being lit up different way throughout.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:40 am
I have only seen three of Kubrick's films (2001, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket). One I love. That one being FMJ, considered to be on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of Kubrick's films by most. I guess it may have something to do with my partiality towards war films.

The other two I just don't like. 2001 was atrociously dull up to the point when we actually are on the spaceship. Even then I didn't really like it. I tried to like it, I want to like it, but I don't. I had high hopes for A Clockwork Orange. Everyone besides Ebert loves it. It was never boring, but it just didn't do it for me. In both films there is some sort of separation between the viewer and the film. They are cold films that don't really present any connection or emotion. Don't get me wrong, they are incredibly well directed. They have great ideas and themes, and I see why people believe they are masterpieces. But I just don't.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:46 pm
I don't want to sound like a turd here, but... Did anyone actually learn anything from Ikiru? Did anyone not find everything said within exceedingly obvious? I suppose not (how else could it have been made?), but I mean... Come on people! Of course you should work for good and get a job doing something useful that you enjoy and not waste your life and embrace love and be selfless! It's just all so clear! Why do we need a film about it?!

Also, not a Throne of Blood fan. Just don't enjoy the Noh style I guess.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 pm
Here's the problem

Appreciating classics for many is an age thing

I had zero interest pre 30 and the suddenly I became curious

21 years later it's the only way :-)

Maybe it's all about mortality?

Rob

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:10 am
majoraphasia wrote:
But I suspect you're right about Godard, Breathless aside. While I liked Alphaville and Breathless, Godard remains my greatest disappointment in my dive into film. So much of what he did gets the Honor Treatment but he was just about the most shallow and arrogant filmmaker I encountered on my way through French cinema. I believe his films, aside from Breathless and Alphaville, deserve reconsideration in order to unmount them as 'great'. A fresh look would reveal him as a minor curiosity.

But, then again, he hasn't done anything considered relevant for a couple of decades so maybe Godard himself has helped my cause.

I think Jean-Luc Godard's importance is severely misunderstood by a lot of posters in this forum. I won't claim to be an expert at all - I've just seen three Godard movies in total (Breathless, Alphaville, Weekend) -, but I believe it is fairly obvious that Godard's movies of the 1960ies were more about themselves (or film as such) than what might pass off as their subject matter on the surface. This radical self-referential quality (characters breaking the fourth wall, characters admitting they are characters in a movie etc.) was groundbreaking in the 1960ies and has had an enormous influence on other filmmakers. Take Quentin Tarantino, for instance: He uses a lot of the same techniques Godard employed, sometimes even referencing Godard or other French New Wave filmmakers (Tarantino named his production company after Godard's 'Bande à part', for instance).

I'll readily admit, that 'influence' doesn't necessarily equate 'joy to watch'. In fact, I think Godard made some films deliberately difficult or even unpleasant to watch. But he can't be dismissed as an important filmmaker.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:42 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Here's the problem

Rob

That may be the case but it's not completely for me. I love 2001:A Space Odyssey and many other classics such as Bicycle Thieves,Ikiru,Annie Hall,The Battle Of Algiers etc and I'm 22 years old. Then again there are other classics that I think are extremely well made but I wouldn't consider them part of my favorite films like-Citizen Kane,The Godfather(I and II),Apocalypse Now,Taxi Driver,Raging Bull etc.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:30 pm
floatingworld wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Here's the problem

Rob

That may be the case but it's not completely for me. I love 2001:A Space Odyssey and many other classics such as Bicycle Thieves,Ikiru,Annie Hall,The Battle Of Algiers etc and I'm 22 years old. Then again there are other classics that I think are extremely well made but I wouldn't consider them part of my favorite films like-Citizen Kane,The Godfather(I and II),Apocalypse Now,Taxi Driver,Raging Bull etc.

You are indeed rare!
Most 22 year olds I know have never even heard of these movies
Let alone seen them :-(
Rob

Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:00 am
I still have yet to find someone who appreciates The Mirror. There's a classic I dislike. Not with a passion, of course. I just don't get. I love Tarkovsky but man does The Mirror not do it for me.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:07 am
Pedro wrote:
I still have yet to find someone who appreciates The Mirror. There's a classic I dislike. Not with a passion, of course. I just don't get. I love Tarkovsky but man does The Mirror not do it for me.

I think someone here lists that as their favourite movie. I'd do a search, but I'm far too lazy.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:51 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
floatingworld wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Here's the problem

Rob

You are indeed rare!
Most 22 year olds I know have never even heard of these movies
Let alone seen them :-(
Rob

It sucks that I'm rare! I have my local library,the criterion collection and my trip to europe in high school to thank.I went in the summer of 2005 and was determined to seek out foreign films and films in general. I haven't looked back since! I don't go to the theater's that often because there is so much crap out there as you can imagine.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:48 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next