Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
"Classics" that you dislike 
Auteur

Post Re: "Classics" that you dislike
Panos75 wrote:
A few months ago I finally watched the Princess Bride. And I still try to understand how this OK movie became such a critically acclaimed sacred cow.
Shrek achieved the same goals considerably better and I would take any day Eddie Murphy's hilarious donkey over Wallace Shawn's irritating Vizzini (not to mention that Michael Myers and Cameron Diaz make for a much more appealing couple than Cary Elwes and Robin Wright).

Agreed.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:11 pm
Assistant Director

MGamesCook wrote:
SHANE!!! My God, what is so great about this cheesy movie? I have no desire to sit through two hours of that little annoying kid ever again. Good final shot, but that's about it. Come to think of it, anything by George Stevens is worthy of some measure of dislike. His work is just too dated compared to the other big directors of his time. I might say the same thing about Kazan. Seriously, what's so masterful about On the Waterfront?

THANK YOU! This. Movie. Sucked. BALLS! Jean Arthur was horrible, and that damn kid was so fucking irritating! He's one of those precocious kids in classic movies who asks obvious questions to be cute and endearing! AS IF! Shane would have done everyone a favor by shooting them all and then riding off in the sunset!

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

And while people here have debated the merits of calling his films classics, I can't resist the opportunity to totally rip into Wes Anderson. I swear to God, there is no one in Hollywood who is more in love with himself than Anderson. "Ooh! Look at me! Look at how quirky and not mainstream I am! Look at how I reject the mass consumerism of Michael Bay's pablum in favor of the artistic sensibilities of some hack with an auteur-sounding name that no one has heard of (and for good reason)! Look at how I'm saving the human race from a destiny of Jerry Springer-inspired crap like "Borat!"

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

moviemkr7 wrote:
And while people here have debated the merits of calling his films classics, I can't resist the opportunity to totally rip into Wes Anderson. I swear to God, there is no one in Hollywood who is more in love with himself than Anderson. "Ooh! Look at me! Look at how quirky and not mainstream I am! Look at how I reject the mass consumerism of Michael Bay's pablum in favor of the artistic sensibilities of some hack with an auteur-sounding name that no one has heard of (and for good reason)! Look at how I'm saving the human race from a destiny of Jerry Springer-inspired crap like "Borat!"

I used to hate Wes Anderson, but the one-two punch of Moonrise Kingdom and (especially) Grand Budapest Hotel have made me into a bit more of a believer

Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:19 pm
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:

I used to hate Wes Anderson, but the one-two punch of Moonrise Kingdom and (especially) Grand Budapest Hotel have made me into a bit more of a believer

Anderson's films I find very "meh", I don't strongly hate or strongly dislike them, I just find them very average at best.

One director who filmography I never liked one bit is Frank Capra, he wallows in sentimentality far too much for my tastes.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:44 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10