Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Your favourite "B" grade cult movies & why? 
Post Re: Your favourite "B" grade cult movies & why?
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I love B-movies and exploitation pics.

Some of my favorites: I Spit On Your Grave, Cannibal Holocaust, Pink Flamingos, Fight For Your Life (I'm going to hell just for watching that), classic "big bug" movies, Cannibal! The Musical, Bad Taste, and so on and so forth. I love this stuff.

And then there's Troma films. I think The Toxic Avenger may be the greatest B-movie ever made. I love Tromeo & Juliet. Terror Firmer is hysterical, and has so many funny lines it's impossible to count them all. Some of my favorites:

"We had BAGELS after he RAPED ME!!!!!"
"My Hershey highway is a ONE-WAY STREET!!"
"Oh my God, he's got an Afro!"

How can you go wrong with stuff like that?

I couldn't handle I Spit on your Grave. In fact I found it genuinely putrid. I've seen most of those others. I love Cannibal! The Musical and Bad Taste. I'm mixed on Pink Flamingoes, there were some scenes I felt were either overcooked or undercooked but I love the premise and I love Divine.

Toxic Avenger is awesome! I'll admit I don't know too many of Troma's films, but of course I know of good old Toxie. Any B-movie junkie knows who he is.

Here's one from my home country, Gozu. Takashi Miike is already batshit, but this is the pinnacle of his madness. If any film was responsible for him being put on happy pills so he could churn out mediocre movies like "One Missed Call," it was this one. Gozu is a very Lynchian fever dream that has some pretensions to being an allegory for homosexuality and incest but really I think that's just Miike's excuse to cover up the fact that he painted a glorious shrine to bizarre visuals and themes that break plenty of taboos. It's hilarious and disgusting at the same time and it's definitely self-aware, in fact the final image in the movie is Miike and his ugly mug staring you down and laughing. The only scene I couldn't really stomach was the death scene involving a ladle, a prostate, an anusand an ejaculation.

Another one from my country worth a laugh is Uzumaki(Aka Vortex or "Spral"). I'll actually admit that I think this has some clever cinematography, it does have a very unique look and I like the nice touches like grass curling up or water being comprised of a string of whirl pools and a couple of the death scenes are actually believable and somewhat disturbing. But regardless, the premise is silly (OMG PEOPLE ARE DYING BECAUSE THE TOWN IS CURSED BY.... *reaches into the desperation jar* SPIRALS!) and there are some undeniably hilariously bad scenes. The father is always my favourite. After getting angry because his spiral collection was thrown out, he finally says he no longer needs it because he can make one for himself. He then pops his eyes partially out of their sockets, opposes them, and spins them round and round and grins in a manner that would probably horrify the devil. Then, fittingly, his death involves him getting curled up around a washer spindle and twisting around into a spiral; as physically implausible as that is.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:16 am
Great thread! I'm going to have to second the Troma titles i've seen here. Here's a list of some others I love.

The Evil Dead
The Slumber Party Massacre Series
The Vincent Price/Edgar Allen Poe Films
Leprechaun 2
Witchcraft 1-100
Return of the Living Dead
Braindead
Dead Snow
Starship Troopers
The Monster Squad

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:58 pm
stiefmo wrote:
Great thread! I'm going to have to second the Troma titles i've seen here. Here's a list of some others I love.

The Evil Dead - This is a B-Movie classic!
The Slumber Party Massacre Series - I think I saw one of them, but I don't remember it truth be told.
The Vincent Price/Edgar Allen Poe Films - These are classics! I love 'em.
Leprechaun 2 - Warwick Davis was great as the Leprechaun, but honestly not much other reason to watch this one or it's predecessor. I guess it was better than the others though... *barf.*
Witchcraft 1-100 - Haven't seen any of them.
Return of the Living Dead - SEND MORE PARAMEDICS! :D :D
Braindead - Oh Lionel, your dear mother is home! That giant puppet always gets me, even though the rest of the film is still fantastically twisted and warped.
Dead Snow - Never heard of it.
Starship Troopers - Not a fan. It had moments I guess, but save for RoboCop I detest the Paul Vanderhoven or whatever his name is.
The Monster Squad - I love this movie! One of my childhood favourites. I still love it!

Have I mentioned Re-Animator and its sequels? If I haven't I will. Bride is the weakest, but fun. Beyond Re-Animator was GREAT fun though!! Perfect proof that sequels will be superior to remakes. I hear there is a fourth Re-Animator being made where the president dies and good old Dr. West steps in. Awesome. Much better than hearing of a remake. I will admit that if you've read the novella by H.P. Lovecraft and expect the sophistication of that story.... don't watch these movies. But they are great fun regardless. Beyond Re-Animator really is one of the best horror/comedies of the decade in my opinion. It's disgusting, just like the others, but hilarious. I don't know why but I think my favourite bit involved the rat who stole a poor re-animated fellows penis. The scene where a Serum junkie overdoses on the Re-Animation Serum is also pretty memorable.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:44 am
Love these movies.

I even like the movies of Ed Wood. Yeah, I've seen plan 9, Robot Monster and Glen or Glenda several times. Complete with my angora sweaters.

But....

Please all grab a rental of Bubbha Ho-Tep. One of my true faves.
Elvis and JFK meet in an old people's home that is infested with Egyptian nasties!

Rob

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:02 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Love these movies.

I even like the movies of Ed Wood. Yeah, I've seen plan 9, Robot Monster and Glen or Glenda several times. Complete with my angora sweaters.

But....

Elvis and JFK meet in an old people's home that is infested with Egyptian nasties!

Rob

I haven't seen all of Ed Wood's flicks but I've seen his most notorious ones. Plan 9 is a personal favourite; it always cheers me up.

Bubba Ho-Tep! How could I forget that one!? I feel embarrassed for omitting that one. I love that movie and I love Bruce Campbell, Ossie Davis was great in it as well.

I hesitate to call this a "B" movie because it's a satire and it is successful at it's satire, but it's kitschy tone and style warrants it as one I suppose; but I shall now mention Fido! Another one I can't believe I remembered to mention. I love Fido! It's basically set in the 50s, but a zombie apocalypse forces the few remaining humans to live in a 50s style paradise but their protection comes in the form of collars which can actually turn zombies into domestic servants and even pets. In fact that's pretty much the idea behind the movie.. a boy and his zombie! It's really funny, it isn't typical over the top gory or anything (In fact it just BARELY got an R Rating for a couple dismembmerment scenes, but truthfully it could snag a PG-13 without much problem but in this case it's not a detriment.) but it's a ton of fun and it is a clever premise.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:07 am
Cat People and Kiss Me Deadly are both great.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:26 pm
MGamesCook wrote:

You mean the Cat People with Nastassja Kinski tied naked to a bed, in case she becomes a cat?
Rob

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:28 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:

You mean the Cat People with Nastassja Kinski tied naked to a bed, in case she becomes a cat?
Rob

Nah, the original Jacques Tourneur movie from 1942. Probably the best B movie of the 1940s; certainly no competition from Detour.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:53 pm
Director

Robert Holloway wrote:
But....

Rob

Right on. It's like I've always told people: If you only ever get to see one movie where Elvis Presley and John F. Kennedy team up to fight a voodoo mummy, make it Bubba Ho-Tep.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:14 pm