Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Reelviews Greatest Film Poll 
Post Re: The Reelviews Greatest Film Poll
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Psycho
4. Touch of Evil
5. Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:48 pm
Director

(1) The Decalogue (voted for above)
(2) The Maltese Falcon (Huston version, obviously)
(3) Singin' in the Rain
(4) All About Eve
(5) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:35 pm
1. Citizen Kane
3. The Decalogue
4. Seven Samurai
5. Vertigo

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:14 pm
Director

1. Vertigo
2. Seven Samurai
3. Passion of Joan of Arc
4. The Godfather
5. Wild Strawberries

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:06 pm
Of course I could not resist

For 20+ years Citizen Kane ruled the roost in my pantheon - then my girlfriend sabotaged me.

We marched down to an amazing independent theater and watched "Vertigo"

Suddenly everything changed. I'd always revered this movie but never seen it on a big screen with a packed audience. From the moment the first bars of the score hit my ears till we walked out I was hypnotized. I was caught in the charm of not only Hitchcock's but all of cinema's greatest work. I've since rewatched the DVD and it just reinforces my view.

Citizen Kane is a great movie we all know that. Why is is no.2. It's not got that magical final third that takes you to other places. It's does not play with your mind.

and then what?

2001 - you don't need more about this film. I was lucky enough to see a 70mm performance in 6 track Dolby Stereo

I have only seen, out of over 10,000 films, 38 perfect movies.

As for 4 and 5, I'd give you Double Indemnity and Tokyo Story

But I could switch on these any day
Rob

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:47 am
Pedro wrote:
1. Citizen Kane
3. The Decalogue
4. Seven Samurai
5. Vertigo

Hey Pedro!
Makes complete sense - Hard to argue here! 3 of my top 5 are here!
Rob

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:49 am
calvero wrote:
1. Vertigo
2. Seven Samurai
3. Passion of Joan of Arc
4. The Godfather
5. Wild Strawberries

Wow!

My fave Hitch, Bergman, Kurosawa and that awesome silent masterpiece, how to argue?

Rob

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:51 am
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I know there will probably be no one who thinks that it's the best movie ever made, but my vote goes to Sean Penn's beautiful Into the Wild. Maybe it's because when I watched it I was going through a tough time personally, and after seeing how the story unfolded and being reminded how much relationships with others matter, I instantly made contact with a person I hadn't spoken to in months to repair the relationship. It also contains one of my favorite quotes, which is, "Happiness is only real when shared", spoken by it's chief character, Christopher McCandless.

Here's my mini-review of the film you can find in my Top 100 List:

This is my all-time favorite film. It took four viewings of this movie for me to finally say, without question, that this is the one movie that I would want to watch over and over again if I only had one movie in the world to watch. The plot, based on a true story, is about the life of Christopher McCandless, a young man who rebelled against the norms of society and instead chose to pursue the ultimate adventure – a cross-country trip in which Alaska was his ultimate destination. Along the way, he meets some incredible people, including a loving, hippie couple (played beautifully by the very likable Catherine Keener and first-time actor Brian Dierker), a partying redneck farmer (played to perfection by a subdued Vince Vaughn), a lonely old man (played by Hal Holbrook, who gives the best supporting performance I’ve ever seen in a film - he will bring you to tears), and an attractive young musician (Kristen Stewart, before her Twilight fame). It’s ironic that this film is directed by Sean Penn, who has not been shy in his personal life blasting America and its many faults. Here, he shows everything that is beautiful about this country, the majestic mountains, the peaceful fields, and the haunting, chilling, beauty of Alaska in particular. The characters are rich and detailed expertly, Penn makes you care for each character McCandless runs into. I can’t say enough about the lead performance by Emile Hirsch. He embodies Chris. There’s not one moment in the film where you say “hey it’s Emile Hirsch”, you truly believe that he IS Christopher McCandless, and that you are with Chris as he encounters massive obstacles, including his final one – Alaska. Eddie Vedder’s soundtrack is also quiet, but unmistakably powerful. Yes, it’s long, yes, it’s very artsy and expects its viewer to have a love for settings and a story driven by character development. In every aspect however, this is a perfect movie, my favorite movie, and without question, the best film of this decade.

This film is one of only 2 perfect films IMHO from the last decade (add Wall-E)

I have such an emotional resonance - It's far more than acting, cinematography or directing. It's a life feeling, and one that goes beyond movies.

Rob

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:58 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Of course I could not resist

For 20+ years Citizen Kane ruled the roost in my pantheon - then my girlfriend sabotaged me.

We marched down to an amazing independent theater and watched "Vertigo"

Suddenly everything changed. I'd always revered this movie but never seen it on a big screen with a packed audience. From the moment the first bars of the score hit my ears till we walked out I was hypnotized. I was caught in the charm of not only Hitchcock's but all of cinema's greatest work. I've since rewatched the DVD and it just reinforces my view.

Citizen Kane is a great movie we all know that. Why is is no.2. It's not got that magical final third that takes you to other places. It's does not play with your mind.

and then what?

2001 - you don't need more about this film. I was lucky enough to see a 70mm performance in 6 track Dolby Stereo

I have only seen, out of over 10,000 films, 38 perfect movies.

As for 4 and 5, I'd give you Double Indemnity and Tokyo Story

But I could switch on these any day
Rob

Thanks Rob, and every one else who's voted up until now. I still haven't seen Double Indemnity, although I pretty much love your other choices.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:58 am
I've been giving this some thought and I'm a bit at a loss on how to judge the best films ever made. I figure they do not necessarily need to be milestone movies, which have changed the way films are made or perceived, but they must make the most out of the medium as such, i.e. provide an experience, which only a film can deliver. I believe that, if you want to, you can find a flaw in any movie, so they do not need to be perfect. Anyway, that's my list:

1. 2001 - A Space Odyssey: Perhaps the boldest storyline of all - the evolution of man from ape to transcendend starchild. Perfect use of sound and music as well as special effects to serve the movie rather than being an end in itself. It helps that sci-fi is one of my favourite genres.
2. Psycho: No other film toys with the audience as successfully as Psycho. Also, it is hard to find a movie which is more radical in breaking with narrative movie traditions. My main reason for including Psycho is that even after having seen it numerous times, it still gives me the shivers.
3. Nosferatu: I once saw it when it was accompanied by a 90 year old silent movie piano player. The most atmospheric movie watching experience ever. It was almost like a dream.
4. The Lord of the Rings - the Fellowship: One reason for me to watch movies is to experience places I've never been to before - be they real or imagined. The Middle Earth created by Peter Jackson may well be the most spectacular and convincing of these places. It helps that I love the books and was initially sceptical about whether they could be made into a movie at all. Jackson delivered.
5. The Godfather: A perfect blend of great direction, cinematography, music, editing and acting. At its heart, it's a story about family issues (do you follow in your father's footsteps or are you your own man) wrapped in an epic genre saga.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:32 am
5. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
4. Ordet
3. Apocalypse Now
2. 8 1/2
1. Andrei Rublev

Well, my choices are going to get creamed. If you're curious, M, Juliet of the Spirits, The Enigma of Kasper Hauser, The Spirit of the Beehive and Persona all could have ended up in the bottom 2 of the list.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:43 am
Director

My top 5:

#5. The Godfather
#4. Schindler's List
#3. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (if I had to pick one - 'King' gets my vote)
#2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
#1. Into the Wild

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Robert Holloway wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:
I know there will probably be no one who thinks that it's the best movie ever made, but my vote goes to Sean Penn's beautiful Into the Wild. Maybe it's because when I watched it I was going through a tough time personally, and after seeing how the story unfolded and being reminded how much relationships with others matter, I instantly made contact with a person I hadn't spoken to in months to repair the relationship. It also contains one of my favorite quotes, which is, "Happiness is only real when shared", spoken by it's chief character, Christopher McCandless.

Here's my mini-review of the film you can find in my Top 100 List:

This is my all-time favorite film. It took four viewings of this movie for me to finally say, without question, that this is the one movie that I would want to watch over and over again if I only had one movie in the world to watch. The plot, based on a true story, is about the life of Christopher McCandless, a young man who rebelled against the norms of society and instead chose to pursue the ultimate adventure – a cross-country trip in which Alaska was his ultimate destination. Along the way, he meets some incredible people, including a loving, hippie couple (played beautifully by the very likable Catherine Keener and first-time actor Brian Dierker), a partying redneck farmer (played to perfection by a subdued Vince Vaughn), a lonely old man (played by Hal Holbrook, who gives the best supporting performance I’ve ever seen in a film - he will bring you to tears), and an attractive young musician (Kristen Stewart, before her Twilight fame). It’s ironic that this film is directed by Sean Penn, who has not been shy in his personal life blasting America and its many faults. Here, he shows everything that is beautiful about this country, the majestic mountains, the peaceful fields, and the haunting, chilling, beauty of Alaska in particular. The characters are rich and detailed expertly, Penn makes you care for each character McCandless runs into. I can’t say enough about the lead performance by Emile Hirsch. He embodies Chris. There’s not one moment in the film where you say “hey it’s Emile Hirsch”, you truly believe that he IS Christopher McCandless, and that you are with Chris as he encounters massive obstacles, including his final one – Alaska. Eddie Vedder’s soundtrack is also quiet, but unmistakably powerful. Yes, it’s long, yes, it’s very artsy and expects its viewer to have a love for settings and a story driven by character development. In every aspect however, this is a perfect movie, my favorite movie, and without question, the best film of this decade.

This film is one of only 2 perfect films IMHO from the last decade (add Wall-E)

I have such an emotional resonance - It's far more than acting, cinematography or directing. It's a life feeling, and one that goes beyond movies.

Rob

That's exactly how I feel as well. Well said.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
I have a hard time with the greatest/favorite distinction. I used to think I had it down, but then I would think "um, can I really say that I think Apocalypse Now is the greater film when I love Rocky so very much more? There has to be something great in Rocky to make me love it so much. Maybe I should just trust my gut reaction to the movies."

1. The Godfather - It's about as perfect as I think a movie can get. It's clear what it's trying to accomplish, and it accomplishes it pretty much without flaw.

2. Shawshank Redemption - There's nothing at all I don't like about it. Even its supposed flaws--"why no racism?" "how come all these murderers are deep-down nice guys except Boggs and his friends?"--don't bother me. It's a great fairy tale.

3. Rocky - My favorite movie. The acting is pretty much perfect, the direction is excellent, and this was the movie that invented the steady-cam. So, whoa. Also, the greatest ending of all time. The ending is just perfect. As Stallone said in an interview, they managed to end the movie with a freeze frame at the exact greatest moment of the main character's life. That's something.

4. Almost Famous - I can't think of anything about it I don't love. I'm even one of the staunch defenders of the "Tiny Dancer" scene.

5. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - There's just nothing about it I don't like. And most of it I love.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:31 pm
So we have a few films that are leading the polls, but instead of posting those I decided to post the five lowest voted films for this update.

Casablanca (1942, Michael Curtiz)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966, Sergio Leone)
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975, Chantel Akerman)
Tokyo Story (1953, Yasujiro Ozu)
Wild Strawberries (1957, Ingmar Bergman)

At least one of these films being so low on the poll is a surprise to me, I'm also surprised by a few of the films that thus far have been left off of peoples lists. Still no end date for the poll, it won't be too far off. When the poll is done I'll post the results and I'll also post my top five (which will have no bearing on the poll). I ask again for you all to post you're reasons for your votes; I pretty happy with the results so far.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:52 pm
Bones wrote:
I have a hard time with the greatest/favorite distinction. I used to think I had it down, but then I would think "um, can I really say that I think Apocalypse Now is the greater film when I love Rocky so very much more? There has to be something great in Rocky to make me love it so much. Maybe I should just trust my gut reaction to the movies."
What I'm about to say might be heresy for movie buffs, but like I give a crap.

When push comes to shove, trust your gut reaction. When a movie is "great," typically that means that it excels in the areas that people overall tend to value in movies. When a movie is a "favorite," typically that means that it excels in the areas that YOU tend to value. Perhaps they're not values that you've intellectualized--as you say, it's a gut reaction--but they CAN be intellectualized. Criticism, if nothing else, is analyzing a movie to find out why it has the effect on you that it does.

Any nimrod can go on IMDB and find out why a movie is "great" based on the things that a bunch of different people value. But frankly, I don't see why people should use anybody else's opinions for any reason other than to enrich their own.

That's not to say that you should turn off your brain when watching movies. I'm saying that your brain and your gut should be evaluating the movie in tandem with one another. The things that are predetermined to be "great" should be a marginal concern at best.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 pm
Zeppelin wrote:
5. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

Now there's a great movie -- 200 minutes and I could have happily watched another 200. A strange case of a movie that moves at a glaciar's pace, about nothing short of the being of being human, being not just hypnotic but improbably exciting.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:52 pm
Director

You know that The Searchers is my number one film. Here's two-five:

2. From Russia With Love
3. Lawrence of Arabia
4. L.A. Confidential
5. Ratatouille

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:32 am
Profile YIM
For 25 plus years I would have jumped to the defense of Charles Foster Kane and then I was caught in the spell of Carlotta Valdes.

I could have put many from my 37 great movies in this list.

Zeppelin - I have Jeanne Dielman almost a top my queue at Netflix. I lived for two years at 1080 Bruxelles as well! Your choices are awesome, no cream from me!

Dunkin - Gotta love Into The Wild - I always cry.

Rob

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:55 am
Director

1. Citizen Kane
2. 2001 - A Space Odyssey
3. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
4. Dark City
5. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next