Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:49 am

The Reelviews Greatest Film Poll 
Post The Reelviews Greatest Film Poll
Here's the deal. I'm making a list; everyone gets to vote for FIVE film, not necessarily their favorite but what are, in their opinion, the best films ever made. Five films, endless options. Since I am compiling the list I'll exclude myself from the vote. The end list will include the ten highest voted films, or more if we get enough votes. If you think Citizen Kane is the greatest film ever made, vote or it, In the Mood for Love, vote for it, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, we'll all judge you but go ahead and vote for it. To keep it interesting go ahead and state why you voted for your films of choice and I'll either write up a general consensus or ask someone who voted for said films to eloquently state their love. You all have till August 10, 2010, go!

Last edited by JJoshay on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:21 pm
Post Re: The Reelviews Greatest Film Poll
The best?! Of ALL genres? Gee, fella... that changes from day to day.

I really don't know. Sansho the Bailiff is pretty incredible: technically outstanding and with performances and script that say more about the human condition than a lot of other random films combined. It's stayed with me for a long, long time and improves upon each subsequent viewing. The best, though? It's an arbitrary pick since my definition of "best" is dynamic and unreliable.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Director

I know there will probably be no one who thinks that it's the best movie ever made, but my vote goes to Sean Penn's beautiful Into the Wild. Maybe it's because when I watched it I was going through a tough time personally, and after seeing how the story unfolded and being reminded how much relationships with others matter, I instantly made contact with a person I hadn't spoken to in months to repair the relationship. It also contains one of my favorite quotes, which is, "Happiness is only real when shared", spoken by it's chief character, Christopher McCandless.

Here's my mini-review of the film you can find in my Top 100 List:

This is my all-time favorite film. It took four viewings of this movie for me to finally say, without question, that this is the one movie that I would want to watch over and over again if I only had one movie in the world to watch. The plot, based on a true story, is about the life of Christopher McCandless, a young man who rebelled against the norms of society and instead chose to pursue the ultimate adventure – a cross-country trip in which Alaska was his ultimate destination. Along the way, he meets some incredible people, including a loving, hippie couple (played beautifully by the very likable Catherine Keener and first-time actor Brian Dierker), a partying redneck farmer (played to perfection by a subdued Vince Vaughn), a lonely old man (played by Hal Holbrook, who gives the best supporting performance I’ve ever seen in a film - he will bring you to tears), and an attractive young musician (Kristen Stewart, before her Twilight fame). It’s ironic that this film is directed by Sean Penn, who has not been shy in his personal life blasting America and its many faults. Here, he shows everything that is beautiful about this country, the majestic mountains, the peaceful fields, and the haunting, chilling, beauty of Alaska in particular. The characters are rich and detailed expertly, Penn makes you care for each character McCandless runs into. I can’t say enough about the lead performance by Emile Hirsch. He embodies Chris. There’s not one moment in the film where you say “hey it’s Emile Hirsch”, you truly believe that he IS Christopher McCandless, and that you are with Chris as he encounters massive obstacles, including his final one – Alaska. Eddie Vedder’s soundtrack is also quiet, but unmistakably powerful. Yes, it’s long, yes, it’s very artsy and expects its viewer to have a love for settings and a story driven by character development. In every aspect however, this is a perfect movie, my favorite movie, and without question, the best film of this decade.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Last edited by DunkinDan89 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:20 am
Profile WWW
Wow, I’m not even certain what “the best” means in the context of this discussion. Various films are “the best” at various aspects of filmmaking. I can probably tell you if one film is better than another, but best film of all time is a pretty tall order. In any case, I’m sure I’m not at all qualified to tell anyone what “the best” movie ever made is. Now, I can tell you that of every film I’ve ever seen, Modern Times is my personal favorite; but does that imply that Modern Times is the best film ever made? Hardly.

Anyhow, I’m voting for Citizen Kane. I have two reasons for doing so. Primus: It’s a genuinely great film that truly could compete for the honor. Plus, unlike many of the other contenders to that claim, say Modern Times, it has tradition behind it. Secundus: when Kane inevitably does well in a poll such as this, people seem to get angry. Phrases such as “overrated” and “does nothing for me” are thrown about as if those were actually good arguments. There is much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments, generally. So Citizen Kane. Because I’m an asshole.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:00 am
Director

The Searchers: John Ford's and John Wayne's best movie. A tale about a man named Ethan who returns home after the Civil War to visit his brother and his brother's family. After an Indian raid that killed Ethan's brother and his family, Ethan and Martin, his nephew, embarks on a search that takes years and years to search for Debbie, the only remaining survior of the attack. We witness the racism that is instilled in Ethan as he searches high and low to find Debbie and kill Scar, the leader of the tribe that has decided to make her one of his many wives. If anyone didn't get it, we are against Ethan's racist attitudes-I say this if anyone thought Ford was glorifying Ethan's actions- because Ford showed how one man's hatred for a specific race or a minority can bring nothing but evil and inhumane actions-shooting both eyeballs of a dead Indian- on Earth. Wayne gave his best performance of his career to a character that had to be real. He he went over-the-top or tried to make the charcter sypmathetic without trying to earn our understanding of the character, then Ethan would have been a two-dimentional charcter at best and would have been long forgotten.

I've chosen this film from all of the films I've seen. I need to see Citizen Kane soon.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:50 am
Profile YIM
This topics reception is exhilarating.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:26 am
Oh, Citizen Kane. Easy. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a close second. But it's second.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:29 am
Producer

If "Dekalog" counts as a single film, that's it.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:36 pm
I'm casting a vote for Pulp Fiction simply because no other film has held me in the grip of awe quite like that one.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:18 pm
Taxi Driver.

This movie sums up lessons carefully learned from at least two generations of master directors, while still fundamentally being as personally expressive as film gets. It's wild. It's experimental. Yet, there's not an ounce of fat or flummery to it. The excitement of the technique is topped only by its economy. Everything serves a purpose and everything hits its target.

The genius of the script is that it zeroes in precisely on what it means to say, then doesn't say it. With a subject so close to the bone as this one, coming right out and announcing itself would be a mistake. It would put the audience at a distance. Through the use of visual metaphor, the script invites the audience in, allows it to participate, maybe even forces it to. Taxi Driver requires the feeling of visceral experience, rather than the comfort of simply being dictated to.

As far as the acting goes, forget about it. It requires a performance, just one, that understands precisely what it is to be human in these conditions, in this state of mind. Robert De Niro answers the call. It might be the finest acting by the finest performer in movies.

For being such a precisely crafted, accurate, and affecting depiction of the life of the character, for using all of the ammunition it requires, and for putting not even a wisp of gauze between itself and the viewer, Taxi Driver earns my vote.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:35 pm
JJoshay wrote:

Late-summer forum lull, my friend. I'll start answering for people if you'd like.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:00 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

Late-summer forum lull, my friend. I'll start answering for people if you'd like.

Haha, I'm not sure that counts.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:41 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
If "Dekalog" counts as a single film, that's it.

Yes, The Decalogue counts as one film.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:47 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

I'll take you up on that offer. The film is Andrei Rublev. Now I need a justification. GO.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:00 pm
Well okay.

Zeppelin wrote:
I remember it well: October 8, 2008. Perhaps you'll say it aloud as I often do, the perfect rhythmic trip of those syllables playing against the mind's demand that October be of eight, not ten... .

She looked at me like she'd never seen a fully hairless, perfectly waxed teenager before.

"Mom," I began but she stopped my wanton, pathetic explanation when she burst into tears. And then into song. And then into flames.

Her last words taunted me: "Andrei Rubelev! I'm on fire! Rubelev! I'm on fire!"

What could she have meant?

As my gerbil nervously eyed me, completely aware of what perverse journey he was about to take, I started the DVD and told Mr. Gerby that he had exactly 200 minutes to make me sing, make me feel those end credits.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:16 pm
My God! I thought no one else understood! *bursts into tears*

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:24 pm
FORUM EDIT: I have changed the poll so people vote for five films as opposed to one. The votes will be weighted so that the number one film receives five votes, number two four votes and so on till the number five film gets one point. Those who have voted thus far, their number one film will increase by points to the allotted five.

Sorry to make this change, but lack of votes thus far has prompted it. The allotted time for voting will also be extended, I'll post the date change when I decide.

Thus far, Citizen Kane is leading the poll with 10 points.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:46 am
*grumbles*

Lists! Lists! LISTS!! I'll go with 5 movies that I loved and wrote about elsewhere on the forum. I have no top 5, 10 or 20.

The links are in-forum.

Arbitrarily:

5. Casablanca
4. Fanny and Alexander
3. Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters
2. Solaris
1. Sansho The Bailiff

I left off several other movies that I would call The Greatest. Who picks just one?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:41 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
*grumbles*

Lists! Lists! LISTS!! I'll go with 5 movies that I loved and wrote about elsewhere on the forum. I have no top 5, 10 or 20.

The links are in-forum.

Arbitrarily:

5. Casablanca
4. Fanny and Alexander
3. Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters
2. Solaris
1. Sansho The Bailiff

I left off several other movies that I would call The Greatest. Who picks just one?

Thanks for playing along :)

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:55 pm
1. Ran
2. Citizen Kane
3. Taxi Driver
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
5. Pulp Fiction

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:24 pm