Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:35 am

The Most Memorable 'President's 
Post The Most Memorable 'President's
What are your favourite movie Presidents? Are there some convincing fictional Presidents you'd like to lead your country? Or, some psycho President you're glad isn't leading your country?

No need to keep this US-only. I use "President" only to signify the Head of State. Other elected (or not so elected) commanders in chief are welcome.

I'll start this off by mentioning Henry Fonda in Fail-Safe. He does take controversial action towards the end of that film, but he's completely convincing as a US President. He's charismatic, well-spoken and not afraid to make the difficult decisions.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:15 pm
Post Re: The Most Memorable 'President's
Lose the apostrophe, dude. ;)

(or at least move it to the other side of the "s" to make 'Presidents' as you intended it)

Now that that's out of the way, Michael Douglas in The American President, and, going to TV, Martin Sheen in The West Wing. Just a couple off the top of my head.

And this thread would not be complete without mentioning President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho from Idiocracy.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:29 pm
Jeff Bridges in The Contender is always my go-to answer. The only movie president I can think of off the top of my head who I would actually vote for. In a heartbeat. He's brilliant, seems like a decent man, and also completely ruthless in politics. To steal the line he steals from Napolean, he is great, and also completely petty. The perfect mix. Also he uses a shark steak sandwich to disarm/intimidate a Congressman into voting his way. Which: awesome.

And I second President Comacho. About as competent as most other movie Presidents seem to be (looking at you, Dave), and also about 100 times more awesome.

And sorta related: I just watched Contact again for the first time in years and it was a little jarring (and pretty cool) that President Clinton was basically a character in the movie. I forgot how much screen time he had. He had more lines than Rob Lowe!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:38 pm
President Harrison Ford anyone?!

If only that scenario could actually happen.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:57 pm
Jack Nicholson had a memorable turn in a pretty bad movie as President Dale in Mars Attacks! and took the 'best' scenes in an otherwise forgettable movie. It's Nicholson ham and he seems to be aware he's in a terrible movie -- he definitely makes the most of it.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:58 pm
Patrick wrote:
He could go head-to-head with Bill Pullman for the "Best Bad Action Movie President" award.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:41 pm
Ken wrote:
Patrick wrote:
He could go head-to-head with Bill Pullman for the "Best Bad Action Movie President" award.

President Bill Pullman is a weakling, he had to have his technology and his fellow men helping him fight off aliens. President Harrison Ford would have flew up to the mother ship, find the leader, say "Get off my planet" and break its neck. And he would do it without a spaceship! Just flying and breathing space air through sheer force of awesome.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:47 pm
Yes, but pit Ford's red, white, 'n' blue bomb-defusing powers against Pullman's epic speech-giving powers and we'll see who explodes whom.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:13 pm
What about Morgan Freeman in Deep Impact?

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:04 pm
Patrick wrote:
Ken wrote:
Patrick wrote:

President Bill Pullman is a weakling, he had to have his technology and his fellow men helping him fight off aliens. President Harrison Ford would have flew up to the mother ship, find the leader, say "Get off my planet" and break its neck. And he would do it without a spaceship! Just flying and breathing space air through sheer force of awesome.

Why you little blasphemous.... Pullman gave one of the best movie speeches in the last 20 years. I still watch that movie and get pumped to go out and house some alien ass. Harrison Ford had get off my plane, Pullman had "Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day! "

BILL PULLMAN FOR THE MOTHER FUCKIN WIN!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:55 pm
I wish I could say that this is the only time I've seen somebody quote that speech today. And it's only 1:40.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:40 am
This may in fact be your independence day Ken. Regardless its off to a great fuckin start.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:47 am
Martin Sheen from The West Wing wins in my book.He is perfect in the role in my opinion.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:24 am
Ken wrote:
Patrick wrote:

President Harrison Ford wins in a walkover. Did you see Harrison Ford's interview with Bruno? All the proof you'll ever need.

floatingworld wrote:
Martin Sheen from The West Wing wins in my book.He is perfect in the role in my opinion.

I didn't originally think of television shows, but I'm glad you brought one up. President David Palmer in 24 was completely convincing. That's obviously down to Dennis Haysbert. If I was in the US I'd purchase All State insurance in a second.

MunichMan wrote:
Lose the apostrophe, dude. ;)

(or at least move it to the other side of the "s" to make 'Presidents' as you intended it)

It is how I intended it. Or was. I made the topic and thought people would list the character name (like "President Bush" or "President Harrison Ford" (thanks, Pat)). In that case 'President's is correct, no? Of course, I realised no-one would do this (but they did :) ) and re-wrote the entire text of my first post.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:41 pm
stiefmo wrote:
Why you little blasphemous.... Pullman gave one of the best movie speeches in the last 20 years. I still watch that movie and get pumped to go out and house some alien ass. Harrison Ford had get off my plane, Pullman had "Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day! "

BILL PULLMAN FOR THE MOTHER FUCKIN WIN!

You wouldn't believe how the whole cinema ausience was groaning after this speech. I was waiting for people to shout 'Ami go home' or at least cheer on the Alien invaders.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:10 pm
Michael Douglas was good at humanizing his character in The American President. Also, there was Danny Glover in 2012, for no other reason than... its Danny fucking Glover getting face punched by the USS Kennedy in front of the White House.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:03 pm
Producer

I'd go with Jeff Bridges in The Contender, but that's because Abe Lincoln in Illinois ends before Abe makes it to Washington. Though Ben Kingsley looks like he'll make a fine president in Dave.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:17 am
Director

The first roles that came to mind were Michael Douglas in The American President and Harrison Ford in Air Force One. I wish HF would have blurted out "Give Me Back My Family" at least once to Gary Oldman.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:27 am
Director

Well...how about Ronald Reagan in real life? :lol:

On a more serious note, Henry Fonda turns in a fine performance in Young Mr. Lincoln.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:18 am
Vexer wrote:
What about Morgan Freeman in Deep Impact?

Thank you!! That's my number one pick. Freeman is so damn likable, I'd vote for him if given the chance.

He was also damn good as Nelson Mandela in Invictus (and really, who else could have played him?). So much, in fact, that whenever Mandela gets mentioned on TV, I half expect to see Freeman in his place.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:46 pm