Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Musical Performances in-Movie 
Post Musical Performances in-Movie
We've had various topics about soundtracks and music used in movies. I'm looking for something a little different here. What are your favourite in-movie musical performances? The movie doesn't necessarily have to be a musical. Think the 5 6 7 8's performance of Woohoo-oo-oo-oo in Kill Bill. Of course, musicals are fine. I like Gene Kelly's Singin' in the Rain too.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:45 am
Post Re: Musical Performances in-Movie
I'm one of the few that loved Prairie Home Companion and loved two performances in particular.

Lindsay Lohan's nervous, uncertain take on "Frankie and Johnny" was excellent -- real enthusiastic delivery, had a real charm. My favorite moment in the movie.

I also loved the corny duet with Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly - "Bad Jokes". Corny, as I said, and all kinds of nice. That movie was just so nice.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:59 am
I liked Viggo Mortensen's singing of that elvish hymn (or whatever) during the coronation scene in Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. It added something to that scene to have him singing rather than dubbing it over with another person's voice, IMO.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:26 pm
Back for more.

You can catch Hedwig and the Angry Inch if you've got exanded cable (or Netflix or an internet connection) -- the first 1/2 of the of the movie is particularly inventive with a great stand-alone scene at a Shoney's that has the band performing for buffet-loving local folks, all of whom are more or less indifferent to (and unquestioning of) the band's song and dance. Hilarious and the song is pretty good, too. All of the songs are pretty good.

Although Slumdog Millionaire isn't the the most popular movie on this forum it's got a nice, pleasantly calculated dance at the very end. But you likely know that.

Although it wasn't very good -- very melodramatic, cliche-bulleted and unevenly acted -- Camp had an excellent opening scene, a staged musical number with somber-faced youth singing right into the camera. It starts the movie off on a serious-as-hell note that is abandoned once the credits roll two or so minutes later.

Love Almost Famous and give a free pass to the this-shouldn't-be-happening impromptu singing of Elton John's "Tiny Dancer". In 99.999% of movies that would try something like this it would fail and have me screaming, pointing at the screen. Not here.

Superbad has Michael Cera perform a bad version of "These Eyes" by Guess Who. It wins over the cokeheads at the party.

Whomever puts A Clockwork Orange and Alex's version of "Singing in the Rain" should be arrested immediately. Since I've already been arrested (twice -- ah, youthful political shenanigans) I feel free to put it down in electronic ink.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:00 pm
Ugh. If I have a film-related pet peeve, it's when characters in a movie spontaneously break into song. I can forgive select instances when the plot and the characters absolutely justify it, but I find other instances so outlandish that I just can't buy into them.

That said, that scene in Wayne's World when Garth breaks into "Foxy Lady" is pretty righteous.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:27 pm
Human Traffic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szCD7nGDDf4

Beautiful Girls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_NTx_cTL8

The Deer Hunter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HWEBE0F1FQ

Walk the Line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jix3xOKJKs4

Get him to the Greek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J3zClnL_Ho

Death Proof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfXtmnxhtTY

From Dusk til Dawn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=albIAvi6zag

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:28 am
I actually agree with you Ken....but in 500 Days of Summer...I surprisingly enough enjoyed the weird spontaneous song. No idea what it was called lol.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:38 am
Critic

majoraphasia wrote:
I also loved the corny duet with Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly - "Bad Jokes". Corny, as I said, and all kinds of nice. That movie was just so nice.

I liked this too. Wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but liked the idea of these two guys unwilling to relinquish the stage for the last time and rattling off corny jokes as long as they could.

But of course, my favorite would have to be the duelling songs scene in Zulu. Watch it if you haven't: the editing is truly masterful and the music is great too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrZbUS0MaY4

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:55 am
Inspiration for the thread came after I looked at Jules and Jim. There's a scene where the lady performs a song she's been working on. I can't put my finger on what I like about the song but I've been listening to it on youtube since.

Have a look. There aren't any movie spoilers if you're concerned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h5nVrmypog

I wouldn't normally count lip-synching, but damn, that was fun to see again ;)

Colin wrote:
I actually agree with you Ken....but in 500 Days of Summer...I surprisingly enough enjoyed the weird spontaneous song. No idea what it was called lol.

I can't remember this scene at all. Anyone have a linky to a clip?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:35 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Colin wrote:

I can't remember this scene at all. Anyone have a linky to a clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2seAJsrtIbQ

I guess it's more of a dance sequence...my bad...or is that still OK for this topic? lol

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:39 pm
I know it's a TV show, but the first season of TREME is filled with fantastic performances, Simon made sure that all the music shown on screen was filmed live and was really being played. It's a great touch that adds a lot of energy, realism, and depth to the show.

I also loved the Tiny Dancer scene in Almost Famous.

I know it gets flamed alot but I thought Step Brothers was hilarious and "Por Ti Volare" by Ferrell and Reily at the FUCKING Catalina Wine Mixer, was gut busting.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:54 pm
stiefmo wrote:

I know it gets flamed alot but I thought Step Brothers was hilarious and "Por Ti Volare" by Ferrell and Reily at the FUCKING Catalina Wine Mixer, was gut busting.

Two for one: "Sweet Child O' Mine" also had an unusual performance in that movie.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:23 pm
Director

"I'm Easy" by Keith Carradine in Nashville. One of the best moments of the movie.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:56 am
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
"I'm Easy" by Keith Carradine in Nashville. One of the best moments of the movie.

Excellent submission. The song is great and the performance is every bit as good as rumor has it.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:19 am
Southland Tales, with Justin Timberlake singing "All These Things That I've Done," is pretty good.

The entirety of Repo: The Genetic Opera is sheer bliss for me too, but does it count since it's technically an opera?

Lastly, Dr. No's Honey Ryder singing "Underneath The Mango Tree" is adorable.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:59 am
Producer

Oh there's just too many to list. From the opposite ends of time:

"Isn't She Romantic" from Love Me Tonight. It starts out with Maurice Chevalier singing the cheerfully sexist lyrics in his tailor shop, is picked up by a customer, handed off to a troop of soldiers, etc., until it's finally picked up by Jeanette MacDonald as she's trying to control her horse.

At the other end of time, "That's How You Know," from Enchanted, beginning with the princess singing in the park and by the end all of Central Park is singing and dancing around her dumbfounded beau. It's one thing to see this in numbers like "Under the Sea" from The Little Mermaid, but to do it live-action is priceless.

The "Zydrate Anatomy" number in Repo: The Genetic Opera is a classic of sorts, as is "Rock Me, Sexy Jesus" from Hamlet 2.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:08 am
One word - Stonehenge!

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:31 am
MunichMan wrote:
One word - Stonehenge!
We are now best friends.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:48 pm
Ken wrote:
MunichMan wrote:
One word - Stonehenge!
We are now best friends.

:D

Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:20 pm
My first band was called Hellhole, after the Spinal Tap song. Our singer used to recite the opening monologue to "Stonehenge" before segueing into an unrelated song.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:04 pm