Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Signs That The Movie Is Going To Suck 
Director

Post Re: Signs That The Movie Is Going To Suck
When the name Rob Schneider is involved.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:33 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:

I have several names that evoke thoughts of bad fucking films nowadays:

Tom Green
M.Night Shymalan
Lindsay Lohan
Paris Hilton
Rosie O'Donnell
Andy Dick
Rob Schneider - He's further down the list because he really hasn't done a whole lot over the past decade worth noting.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:46 pm
corpen11 wrote:

This is a popular entry and one look at Rob Schneider's filmography reveals why. 55 credits to his name and over 90% must be completely unwatchable.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:05 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
corpen11 wrote:

This is a popular entry and one look at Rob Schneider's filmography reveals why. 55 credits to his name and over 90% must be completely unwatchable.
The same argument could be made for Adam Sandler, personally i'll gladly take a Schneider film over most of Sandler's films ANY day of the week!

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:33 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
corpen11 wrote:

The same argument could be made for Adam Sandler, personally i'll gladly take a Schneider film over most of Sandler's films ANY day of the week!

But Sandler has been in Punch-Drunk Love and Funny People. Even if you don't like them, an argument could be made about their worthiness. What on earth has Schnieder done that's even 2.5 star worthy?

Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:50 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:

But Sandler has been in Punch-Drunk Love and Funny People. Even if you don't like them, an argument could be made about their worthiness. What on earth has Schnieder done that's even 2.5 star worthy?

The closest thing Schneider has come to a "good" movie is The Hot Chick, which, he was absolutely hilarious in despite the movie falling in sucky territory due to...well, many reasons.

I would add the Adam Sander/Kevin James combo team - why people pay to see a bunch of stupid gay jokes over and over again is beyond me. Sandler should've done Inglourious Basterds instead of Funny People - now that's actually a funny movie.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

The closest thing Schneider has come to a "good" movie is The Hot Chick, which, he was absolutely hilarious in despite the movie falling in sucky territory due to...well, many reasons.

I would add the Adam Sander/Kevin James combo team - why people pay to see a bunch of stupid gay jokes over and over again is beyond me. Sandler should've done Inglourious Basterds instead of Funny People - now that's actually a funny movie.

Well I happen to find most of Schneider's films to be pretty entertaining(yes, I even liked European Gigolo, go ahead and ridicule me) I never saw Funny People and don't really have any desire to do so due the fact that i'm honestly not particularly fond of Judd Apatow, and an Apatow film with Sandler in it is VERY low on my priority list, and Punch Drunk Love just didn' do very me, while I do commend Sandler for trying to do something different, but his performance just wasn't very convincing and it seemed like he was trying a little TOO hard IMO and I found it tough to really care about his character and th elakc of chemistry between Sandler and Watson didn't help, ultimately I found Punch Drunk Love to be little more then an interesting failure.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:40 pm
They're both pretty lazy and Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider's names usually indicate rough waters. The difference is that Sandler, at least twice (and so always in theory), has the ability to perform in something that requires a bit of a stretch. Whether Punch Drunk Love worked or not is debatable but the movie is anything but a typical, silly comedy. It required Sandler to build a character. Funny People, too. Sandler's basal performance (Happy Gilmore and so on) is no more watchable than Rob Schneider's.

So most of the time I'd agree: Adam Sandler's name is a good indicator of scary stuff. The fact that he can do convincing dramatic turns leavens this slightly (I haven't seen Reign Over Me but it could be another good example). Once Rob Schneider pulls off a complex character in a P.T. Anderson film I'll be willing to give him some credit.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:07 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
They're both pretty lazy and Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider's names usually indicate rough waters. The difference is that Sandler, at least twice (and so always in theory), has the ability to perform in something that requires a bit of a stretch. Whether Punch Drunk Love worked or not is debatable but the movie is anything but a typical, silly comedy. It required Sandler to build a character. Funny People, too. Sandler's basal performance (Happy Gilmore and so on) is no more watchable than Rob Schneider's.

So most of the time I'd agree: Adam Sandler's name is a good indicator of scary stuff. The fact that he can do convincing dramatic turns leavens this slightly (I haven't seen Reign Over Me but it could be another good example). Once Rob Schneider pulls off a complex character in a P.T. Anderson film I'll be willing to give him some credit.

I thought Sandler was very watchable in Spanglish too. Again another film where he was required to build a character.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:12 pm
wisey wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I thought Sandler was very watchable in Spanglish too. Again another film where he was required to build a character.
Spanglish didn't do much for me either, though my dislike for that film had little to do with Sandler as he was actually decent, I didn't just find it to be a very compelling film and I also felt that the ending was pretty weak.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:59 pm
Vexer wrote:
Spanglish didn't do much for me either, though my dislike for that film had little to do with Sandler as he was actually decent, I didn't just find it to be a very compelling film and I also felt that the ending was pretty weak.

I really liked Spanglish but perhaps I'm just a sucker for James L. Brooks films? I absolutely loved Broadcast News, liked As Good as it Gets and even enjoyed Terms of Endearment which seems to be generally hated by most people (on this forum anyway).

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:28 am
Producer

I'm really fond of 50 First Dates as well as Punch-Drunk Love and Spanglish. Anger Management should have been a good film but just didn't work for me.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:26 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
I'm really fond of 50 First Dates as well as Punch-Drunk Love and Spanglish. Anger Management should have been a good film but just didn't work for me.

50 First Dates was Ok I guess, my main problem with it was that the comedy was mostly uninspired and predictable(and I REALLY could've done without the gross-out humor), and I just didn't buy the romance between Sandler and Barrymore, which made the dramatic elements less effective.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:53 pm
Signs That The Movie Is Going To Suck...

Vexer likes it. ;)

Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:57 pm
Director

MunichMan wrote:

Vexer likes it. ;)

:lol: That's wrong, but yet funny.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:13 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

Vexer likes it. ;)

I didn't already make that joke or anything.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:07 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

Vexer likes it. ;)

I didn't already make that joke or anything.

Maybe Munich just can't read English :lol:

Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:11 pm
Englisch? Was ist das?

Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:52 pm
Critic

MunichMan wrote:
Englisch? Was ist das?

We took your native tongue, threw in some Latin, took out your silly compounding rule, and voila, English

Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:24 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
People hate Crash far too much. Plenty of movies have messages, and plenty more deliver them poorly, but the filmmaking on display in Crash is often very impressive.

I tihnk people hate Crash so much because they're shocked that such an underserving film won Best Picture, i'd say it's probably the WORST film to ever win Best Picture.

Something tells me you haven't seen Around the World in 80 Days, Driving Miss Daisy, or The Greatest Show on Earth.

Or Gladiator

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:30 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next