Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:35 am

Signs That The Movie Is Going To Suck 
Post Re: Signs That The Movie Is Going To Suck
Yeah I saw Gladiator, and it was also a pretty terrible film, but I wouldn't exactly call it worse then Crash, because at the very least Gladiator didn't have an incredibly overbearing message about "racism" that it felt the need to drive home with all the subtelty of a jackhammer :roll:

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:02 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
Yeah I saw Gladiator, and it was also a pretty terrible film, but I wouldn't exactly call it worse then Crash, because at the very least Gladiator didn't have an incredibly overbearing message about "racism" that it felt the need to drive home with all the subtelty of a jackhammer :roll:

I still fail to see why everyone is so scandalized by this. Brokeback Mountain had a "message" too, as do a ton of Oscar wannabes.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:21 pm
What makes Crash especially guilty is that it stoops to exploitation in order to deliver its message. That, above many others, is the sign of a sucky movie.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:54 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Because sometimes you know that peril awaits you.

Robin Williams in a dramatic role, for example. (Patch Adams)

If the previews have an old woman saying something sassy or hip? Careful! (The Runaway Bride)

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson + children's movie.

You didn't like Good Will Hunting? I thought that Williams was easily the best thing about that film, apart from the writing which, while admittedly overrated, was still pretty good. As for all this hate on inspirational sports films, I have to admit that I can appreciate some of them from time to time such as Remember the Titans, The Blind Side and Miracle. Not great cinema but entertaining nonetheless.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:38 pm
Ken wrote:
What makes Crash especially guilty is that it stoops to exploitation in order to deliver its message. That, above many others, is the sign of a sucky movie.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, if your going include a message in a film like that, it should be subtle and not over-the-top and heavy-handed to the extreme.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, if your going include a message in a film like that, it should be subtle and not over-the-top and heavy-handed to the extreme.

I understood what you meant, I just disagree. I don't think Crash is particularly heavy-handed. I think Crash paints a picture where every character is racist to some degree or another, which might be a little hard to swallow but is well within the established bounds of movie exaggeration. Why is it more heavy-handed than, say, American classic The Grapes of Wrath, which features numerous speeches to get its message across?

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:20 pm
Producer

Inspirational sports movies (actually inspirational movies in general) are a genre and some of them can be fine indeed. Seabiscuit, for instance, had several interesting stories to tell, a fine sense of time and place, interesting personalities, and good acting, especially by Jeff Bridges and Chris Cooper. (The book is much better, and contains enough material for several other movies just as good.) Cinderella Man tried to do the same thing for the boxer James Braddock and was less successful.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:21 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Ken wrote:

I understood what you meant, I just disagree. I don't think Crash is particularly heavy-handed. I think Crash paints a picture where every character is racist to some degree or another, which might be a little hard to swallow but is well within the established bounds of movie exaggeration. Why is it more heavy-handed than, say, American classic The Grapes of Wrath, which features numerous speeches to get its message across?

Well I never Grapes Of Wrath so I can't make comparisons to it, but to me the characterization in Crash just felt really forced and artificial and I just couldn't buy it.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:25 pm
With rare exceptions, if it's a PG-13 horror, it'll suck badly.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:54 am
oafolay wrote:

bonus points if it's a remake of an Asian horror movie

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:02 am
Patrick wrote:
oafolay wrote:

bonus points if it's a remake of an Asian horror movie

Ain't that the truth! That upcoming remake of Let The Right One In ( which is calleds Let Me In, which has to be one of the WORST movie titles ever :roll: ) looks especially awful.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:51 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Quote:
Ratel said: With the exception of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, if a movie is set in or connected to Arthurian England, it’s a sign it’s going to suck.

So no love for Excalibur or Merlin?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:50 pm
Raf wrote:
Quote:
Ratel said: With the exception of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, if a movie is set in or connected to Arthurian England, it’s a sign it’s going to suck.

So no love for Excalibur or Merlin?

I’m afraid I’ve never seen Merlin. And I find Excalibur to be staggeringly unpleasant, so overwrought and so pretentious. I mean Wagner? With no sense of irony? Really?

I also feel I should point out that the Sorcerer's Apprentice has Arthurian connections, and judging by the reviews, seems to conform to my rule.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:05 pm