Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:13 am

Young actors 
Post Young actors
I've been thinking about this today.....Each decade seems to give us its crop of emerging, talented young actors.
The 50s gave us among others--Brando, Dean
The 60s gave us among others--Nicholson, Hoffman, McQueen, Newman, Redford
The 70s gave us among others--Deniro, Pacino, Hackman, Streep, Walken
The 80s gave us among others--Hanks, Washington,Penn, Cruise, Depp, Day Lewis
The 90s gave us among others--Dicaprio, Del Toro, Pitt, Crowe, Norton, Winslet

I'm sure I missed several people's emergence but you all get my point. What I'm wondering is this.....of the most recent decade that ended, who emerged? Who's career are we looking forward to based on the promise that they showed in the 00s. Also, who do we think may emerge this decade(though chances are, we don't even know some of those names yet)?

For example, I submit:

00s.....Joseph Gordon Levitt, Michael Fassbender(and a darkhorse...Jesse Eisenberg)
10s.....Tahar Rahim, Andrew Garfield

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:52 pm
Director

Post Re: Young actors
For the 2000's - hands down Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The strength of his performances were simply astounding (with his best being Mysterious Skin).

I'd also say to keep an eye on Josh Peck, whose turns in both Mean Creek and The Wackness were very, very impressive.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
For the 2000's - hands down Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The strength of his performances were simply astounding (with his best being Mysterious Skin).

I'd also say to keep an eye on Josh Peck, whose turns in both Mean Creek and The Wackness were very, very impressive.

I didn't see Mean Creak, but you're right, I really liked him in The Wackness

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:23 pm
Assuming we're not restricting this only to male performers, I'd add to the list Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:47 pm
oafolay wrote:
Assuming we're not restricting this only to male performers, I'd add to the list Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning.

No we're not, notice I included Streep and Winslet as examples. Were you a fan of The Runaways?

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:00 pm
bob harris wrote:
oafolay wrote:

No we're not, notice I included Streep and Winslet as examples. Were you a fan of The Runaways?

Couldn't be so sure since all the examples everyone was giving so far were of males; at any rate, no I still haven't seen The Runaways yet although I plan on doing so when I get the chance. I'm basing this on the previous work I've seen from those two actresses.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:23 pm
DunkinDan89 wrote:

Yes, Joseph was also compelling as Dr.Venom/Cobra Commander in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra too, wasn't he? :roll:

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:36 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

Yes, Joseph was also compelling as Dr.Venom/Cobra Commander in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra too, wasn't he? :roll:

Every good actor makes a bad movie once in a while. I can't believe I'm saying this, you should know that.

As far as his 2000's track record goes, Gordon-Levitt excelled in all the movies I saw him in, whether they were great (The Lookout, (500) Days of Summer), good (Brick, Mysterious Skin), decent (Killshot), or not so great (Stop-Loss). I dare you to find an actor around his age with a better track record as far as movies and performances go.

Good mention of Kristen Stewart, she's in my all-time favorite film (Into The Wild) and she was impressive in both Panic Room and Adventureland. Plus, not bad to look at - either.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
Every good actor makes a bad movie once in a while. I can't believe I'm saying this, you should know that.

Career choices are almost as important an indicator of an actor's relevance to his generation as acting ability. I don't respect Joseph's decision to associate himself with such a shitty film, especially if that film was supposed to be the one that raises his profile in Hollywood.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:47 pm
That's definitely a factor, but far from a primary one. Even if good actors (or, more likely, their agents) choose bad projects, their positive accomplishments speak for them.

Or, to put it another way, De Niro can star in a zillion awful Focker movies, and he'll still be my favorite actor. He's earned it.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:02 pm
Ken wrote:
That's definitely a factor, but far from a primary one. Even if good actors (or, more likely, their agents) choose bad projects, their positive accomplishments speak for them.

Or, to put it another way, De Niro can star in a zillion awful Focker movies, and he'll still be my favorite actor. He's earned it.

This is a good point, though it doesn't say anything good about an actor if he's making such poor choices before having established himself. De Niro didn't really start making stinky films until reaching his twilight years.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:31 pm
Dakota Fanning is the only one that seems obvious. Michael Fassbender would be great as would Jean Seberg's semi-double Carey Mulligan. The jury's still out Saoirse Ronan, Zac Efron, and others that I can't name at the moment.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:24 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

Not to mention one of his early "performances" in Angels in the Outfield :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:31 am
bob harris wrote:
10s.....Tahar Rahim, Andrew Garfield

Agree on the latter! I've seen him in a few movies now, but his performance in Boy A alone was enough to convince me.

Ragnarok73 wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

I might get flamed for this, but I thought he was the best thing about that movie. In every single superhero type movie there's always some gimmick where the actor gets to remove their mask so they get "face-time". They even came up with an idea to give Michael Chiklis face time in the Fantastic Four sequel. I can't recall Levitt's face in the film. To top it off, his voice was heavily altered. There's no way people will recognise him from that role so his "profile" wasn't really raised. He still has my respect for burying himself in his character.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:05 pm
Director

oafolay wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

Not to mention one of his early "performances" in Angels in the Outfield :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, that's like the best childhood baseball movie ever made.

I mean, come on, Tony Danza is your lead star and Adrien Brody is the worst guy on the team, with Jay O. Sanders playing a villain named....Ranch Wilder. It can't get much better than that.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
How about Abigail Breslin...

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:11 pm
Director

oafolay wrote:
How about Abigail Breslin...

I liked her in both Signs and Little Miss Sunshine.

Another I'd add is Emile Hirsch, definitely someone to watch out for.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Good call on Emile Hirsch -- he can carry an entire movie and, if he picks better projects than Speed Racer, might be the next leading man in the mode of George Clooney and so forth. Can he do comedy... ?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:51 pm
00's -Ryan Gosling who I thought was fantastic in Lars and the Real Girl and Half Nelson. Also, I think James McAvoy shows a lot of promise and seems to mix in some fantastic films in with his other blockbuster choices.

10's - I'm interested in how the kids from Harry Potter are going to move on from the film series and try to branch out and seperate themselves from their characters. I think Dan Radcliffe has the best chance, but we will see. Also, I think Logan Lerman has alot of promise although he's plagued by several bad movie choices as well.

As far as the ladies go, the only females I can think of that really stood apart from the others for her acting and nothing else were Amy Adams and Emily Blunt, the latter of which I'm going to have to see more of to be sure.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:10 pm
Director

majoraphasia wrote:
Good call on Emile Hirsch -- he can carry an entire movie and, if he picks better projects than Speed Racer, might be the next leading man in the mode of George Clooney and so forth. Can he do comedy... ?

Well, as many problems and excessive vulgarity as a movie like The Girl Next Door had, Hirsch was one of the few bright spots in it. The scene with him getting drugged at that big speech he has to make can either be looked at as cruel and dumb or just downright hilarious. I'm in the latter department.

Excellent call on Gosling, he was fantastic in Lars and the Real Girl, Half-Nelson, and Fracture. He's kinda disappeared the last couple years though, no? I have a feeling we'll be seeing a string of movies from him soon if that's the case, good actors like him don't stay unemployed for long.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:02 pm
Profile WWW