Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:10 am

Young actors 
Post Re: Young actors
I like the last few names a lot...Breslin, Hirsch really have shown a lot of promise and good reason to key an eye on..

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:08 pm
Well what do you know.........my pick is suddenly going to have the spotlight all over him. Andrew Garfield announced to play Peter Parker/Spider Man...I hope it works for him.

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:54 pm
bob harris wrote:
Well what do you know.........my pick is suddenly going to have the spotlight all over him. Andrew Garfield announced to play Peter Parker/Spider Man...I hope it works for him.

As much as I like him, I don't think he's a good choice. Actually, I don't think anyone would be a good choice. I hate this project even though they haven't started filming.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:19 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
bob harris wrote:

As much as I like him, I don't think he's a good choice. Actually, I don't think anyone would be a good choice. I hate this project even though they haven't started filming.

If they can somehow find a way to jettison the cheesiness of the Toby MacGuire films, I'd be happy with it but my understanding from those of my friends who are more familiar than I with the Spiderman mythos is that the cheesiness is unfortunately an integral part of the back-story so we're probably gonna have to put up with it...again!

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:29 pm
oafolay wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
bob harris wrote:

If they can somehow find a way to jettison the cheesiness of the Toby MacGuire films, I'd be happy with it but my understanding from those of my friends who are more familiar than I with the Spiderman mythos is that the cheesiness is unfortunately an integral part of the back-story so we're probably gonna have to put up with it...again!

.....? You mean the same two Spider-Man movies that are better than any two Batman movies?

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:15 pm
I'm not sure anybody who decries cheesiness in superhero stories is quite in touch with their fundamental appeal.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:26 pm
Great choices, I was going to mention Emile Hirsch and Abigail Breslin as well.

Also add Saoirse Ronan to the list. That little girl was excellent in Atonement.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:17 am
neco82 wrote:
Great choices, I was going to mention Emile Hirsch and Abigail Breslin as well.

Also add Saoirse Ronan to the list. That little girl was excellent in Atonement.

I've got nothing against Saoirse, but being in The Lovely Bones may have set her back a few steps as far as her career goes.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:14 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I've got nothing against Saoirse, but being in The Lovely Bones may have set her back a few steps as far as her career goes.

I haven't seen Lovely Bones yet, but from what I've heard/read, she's the best thing in it. I think she'll be fine.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:00 pm
neco82 wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

I haven't seen Lovely Bones yet, but from what I've heard/read, she's the best thing in it. I think she'll be fine.

Oh, I wasn't referring to Saoirse's own performance, but to any potential stigma that could attach from being in a film that was a critical and box office disappointment. I very much hope that she gets more opportunities in the future.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:19 pm
bob harris wrote:

...and they're paying him $500,000 for the role. I hate this movie more and more.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:08 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
bob harris wrote:

...and they're paying him $500,000 for the role. I hate this movie more and more.

If they plan to base the reboot on the Ultimate Marvel version of Spiderman, then they cast an actor who's too old.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:10 pm
loving some of the names here...hell yeah on gordon lovett, Hirsch, stewart.

and noticing the absence of Ellen Page.

not that im saying she belongs here...just, its noticeable with the the reputation she carried 2 years back(maybe now too, i wouldn't know)....

Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:02 pm
Producer

I like Ellen Page, both in Juno and Smart People. I haven't seen the Roller Derby movie.

Dakota Fanning's kid sister Elle is really good, but she has not "arrived" yet. She may be on this list in a few years.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 pm
For your consideration......Zoe Kazan.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:02 pm
Sad to say I have not seen any of Kazan's work. But you got me thinking Mr. Harris...

What do you guys think about Paul Dano? I've only managed to watch Little Miss Sunshine and There Will Be Blood, but he really impressed me in those two. He's only 26.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:34 pm
ram1312 wrote:
What do you guys think about Paul Dano? I've only managed to watch Little Miss Sunshine and There Will Be Blood, but he really impressed me in those two. He's only 26.

I don't think it's going to happen even though Mr. Dano has the talent. Something about him, perhaps his look, just says "supporting player". He's not a commanding presence. Lou Taylor Pucci is in the same boat: talented but not a lead actor.

Chloe Moretz is a lead actress. So is Emma Watson.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:25 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
I don't think it's going to happen even though Mr. Dano has the talent. Something about him, perhaps his look, just says "supporting player".
When your lead player is Daniel Day-Lewis and you don't get utterly steamrolled by him, you cannot be reasonably described as "just... supporting player."

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:40 pm
Ken wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
I don't think it's going to happen even though Mr. Dano has the talent. Something about him, perhaps his look, just says "supporting player".
When your lead player is Daniel Day-Lewis and you don't get utterly steamrolled by him, you cannot be reasonably described as "just... supporting player."

Sure you can. Try harder. A good supporting player but a fraction of the show.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:30 pm