Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:11 pm

Movies Where the MPAA Assigned the Wrong Rating 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Movies Where the MPAA Assigned the Wrong Rating
God, typing all these out will take months!

But I'll put in my two cents...

The Kite Runner: I was appalled that this received a PG-13 rating.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A child is raped, and women are graphically executed
, and the way the most shocking scene was handled (obviously to get a PG-13 at the behest of the studio) is reprehensible. I've seen movies that are rated NC-17 for less :evil:

Sin City: Rated R, but the level of violence should have warranted an NC-17.

Passion of the Christ: Ditto for "Sin City." If there's a movie that deserves an NC-17 rating for violence, this is it.

Mrs. Henderson Presents: Apparently, the MPAA knows nothing of the word "context." Or maybe they do, they just ignore it because doing so would prove everyone's point that they answer to the one and only James Dobson.

Amadeus: The Director's Cut was rated R for "brief nudity," and I'm thinking that the MPAA saw something that I didn't. I've seen family movies that are more explicit.

Big Night: Same thing for every movie rated R for two f-bombs.

Robin Hood: There wasn't a particularly large amount of violence (relatively speaking), but it was strongly reminiscent of "Braveheart."

Clash of the Titans (2010): Any movie where a creature is ripped in half (even if it's bloodless...which makes absolutely no sense) should be R-rated. End of story.

Black Irish: Another independent film that fell victim to the MPAA's favoritism. It's PG-13 at best.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie: Rated R for "some violent images." Please. There was a small amount of blood, but hardly something that an 8 year old would be terrorized with.

I was so fed up with the MPAA that when I was writing reviews on iMDb, I gave my own ratings.

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll be back for more ranting and raving. Oh, and I neglected to mention "The King's Speech" because that has been said many times and would seem redundant.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
moulton4 wrote:
Lost In Translation features no swearing, no sexual content, and no violence. There's just one scene at a topless bar. PG-13 in my opinion.

As we foreigners all know , American's are scared of the female body
Rob

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:28 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
Lost In Translation features no swearing, no sexual content, and no violence. There's just one scene at a topless bar. PG-13 in my opinion.

Rob

You know, Americans hate the MPAA, too. :lol:

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:41 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

Most Americans still suffer from trace levels of Puritanism, but the MPAA's weird standards are definitely an example of the smallest group having the loudest voice.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:13 pm
Director

H.I. McDonough wrote:
But don't you know hearing the F-bomb more than once in a movie can corrupt an adolescent beyond repair? :lol: :roll:

Totally corrupting. I find myself reminded of something Frank Zappa kept pointing out on a "Crossfire" debate re: rock lyrics (back in the 1980s).

Frank Zappa wrote:
We are talking about words.

Lenny Bruce got in trouble for using the word c***sucker. But why? A c***sucker is a person who thinks that the chicken nuggets at McDonald's are made from real chicken.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:44 pm
That would be from the time period of the PMRC hearings, by all accounts a kangaroo court.

Another golden quote from Zappa during the proceedings (paraphrasing): "There are no words powerful enough to cause the listener to go to hell."

Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:33 pm
Director

moviemkr7 wrote:
Amadeus: The Director's Cut was rated R for "brief nudity," and I'm thinking that the MPAA saw something that I didn't. I've seen family movies that are more explicit.

But don't you know that the sight of bare breasts can cause adolescent boys to do the extremely sinful act of playing with themselves? :lol: :roll:

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:47 pm
Pedro wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
moulton4 wrote:

Rob

You know, Americans hate the MPAA, too. :lol:

Heeeeeyyyy Pedro
How are ya doing these days?
Rob

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:45 am
I'm sorry but the MPAA seems to love the sight of people being slaughtered by guns
But show me the human body and they are into a frenzy

A friend from Norway once said to me about Americans

Stick a knife in her and kill her - PG-13
Stick a dick in her and make love - NC-17

So, basically kids in America get to learn that killing is OK and making love is not
... and you get Columbine

God bless the NRA who I am convinced are behind all this
Rob

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:49 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Heeeeeyyyy Pedro
Rob

I've been better. I'm actually going to fail a class for the first time in my life. I'm excited! Grades don't matter to me anymore. I don't think anyone's going to discredit my degree in screenwriting because I flunked American Literature: 1860-1914. If they do, then they weren't worth my time (or anyone else's) to begin with.

But on the bright side, I was named ride operator of the week at Great America! Oh, the things that keep me going.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:51 am
Pedro wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Heeeeeyyyy Pedro
Rob

I've been better. I'm actually going to fail a class for the first time in my life. I'm excited! Grades don't matter to me anymore. I don't think anyone's going to discredit my degree in screenwriting because I flunked American Literature: 1860-1914. If they do, then they weren't worth my time (or anyone else's) to begin with.

But on the bright side, I was named ride operator of the week at Great America! Oh, the things that keep me going.

American Literature? Holy shit does that sound boring! :shock: I don't blame you one bit for failing that class, I myself have failed several classes that I wasn't passionate about, so I learned to take less classes and only concentrate on the stuff i'm actually interested in(or classes i'm required to take as a prerequisite to the classes i'm interested it)

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:23 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
So, basically kids in America get to learn that killing is OK and making love is not
... and you get Columbine
I wouldn't bet on the logic of these two statements.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm
Well certainly the most recent bit of retardation from the MPAA was The King's Speech.

Just so I'm clear. In Sin City, you see Bruce Willis grab Nich Stahl's genitals and rip them off. In Hannibal, you see dogs eating a guy's face.
In The King's Speech you hear the F-bomb four or five times, in the context of someone overcoming a physical impairment.

Yes. These are all equally offensive.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:10 am
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

Most Americans still suffer from trace levels of Puritanism, but the MPAA's weird standards are definitely an example of the smallest group having the loudest voice.

Exactly! In America, it's not who has the most supporters, it's who bitches the loudest.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
SoundSanity wrote:
Well certainly the most recent bit of retardation from the MPAA was The King's Speech.

Just so I'm clear. In Sin City, you see Bruce Willis grab Nich Stahl's genitals and rip them off. In Hannibal, you see dogs eating a guy's face.
In The King's Speech you hear the F-bomb four or five times, in the context of someone overcoming a physical impairment.

Yes. These are all equally offensive.

Good comparison. To piggyback this post, I just saw the dreadful Dinner for Schmucks rated PG-13. In the movie a deranged woman writes "I'M WET" upon a napkin and passes it to Paul Rudd. There's also a long discussion about a woman's clitoris. Again, this is rated PG-13 whereas a couple of "fucks" in The King's Speech give that movie an "R" rating.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:23 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

"Once" has the same rating as "Hostel."

Inexplicable.

Mon May 09, 2011 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Given how flawed the rating system is, can I just say every movie the MPAA ever assigned a rating to and be done with it?

Please?
-Jeremy

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:08 pm