Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:24 am

What Films Do You Consider Four-Star Perfect? 
Post Re: What Films Do You Consider Four-Star Perfect?
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Thief

Interesting. As in Michael Mann's Thief? My excitement about this movie club pick just went up a notch.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:37 pm
One observation: I noticed that the two movies that seem to sit firmly on top of the Imdb Top 250 list are not that extremely popular here in this Forum. I don't consider them four star perfect myself. Sure taste has a lot to do with it.

Here is a list of really great movies, I've seen many times which I don't put on my list, because there are elements, parts or aspects I simply don't like that much:

2001, A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange,
Rear Window,
Terminator 1 and 2 (replace Michael Biehn and Edward Furlong respectively and they would be near damn perfect for my taste)
Aliens ("that" close! For some reason Sigourney Weaver's acting is at times very unconvincing, I forgive Michael Biehn because Bill Paxton, who has all the good lines, makes up for him)
Star Wars (part IV) "Empire" walks all over it. Still great!
Back to the Future: great fun, perfect cast - but by its very nature (basically an 80s Billy Wilder type light comedy) it can't have anything resembling depth.
Goodfellas: fantastic movie, yet it just doesn't draw me in...

...just my 2C, I might add some more later.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:02 pm
Critic

Threeperf35 wrote:
Aliens ("that" close! For some reason Sigourney Weaver's acting is at times very unconvincing, I forgive Michael Biehn because Bill Paxton, who has all the good lines, makes up for him)

Yeah Sigourney can overact at times. I think she actually does her best work in the undersung third feature of the tetralogy (no, not "Quadrilogy" you idiot DVD makers) but it doesn't really mar the movie for me. It's an incredible thrill ride and one of the coolest movies ever made (every line, every character, every gun, every scene...is cool) but I would probably shy away from 4 stars even though it's my number 2 of all time.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:51 pm