Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:01 pm

Your 10 "allowed to cheat with" list 
Post Re: Your 10 "allowed to cheat with" list
Awec Bawdwin!!!

And I would like to go on record that I would never consider sucking a marionette's cock.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:47 pm
MunichMan wrote:
And I would like to go on record that I would never consider sucking a marionette's cock.

You're clearly not committed to the team.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:32 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
And Team America is one of the funniest, smartest things I've ever seen. Oh, how I love that movie.

Absolutely! It never picked up the legendary status that South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut did but there are many moments that are just as razor-sharp. I get the feeling that Stone and Parker are two douchebags incapable of taking anything seriously but I'm happy that they can write as they do. Team America was a great comedy -- that it also managed to take down every single political target in its path is a major bonus.

Quote:
Matt Damon!

I don't know what Matt Damon did to those guys, if anything, but damn am I glad they used that joke. I don't even remember Damon being all that political before this past election, but I'm sure he did something to be skewered like that.

That movie also has this, which I like to call film school for dummies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLuOl36vamI

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:59 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
I don't know what Matt Damon did to those guys, if anything, but damn am I glad they used that joke. I don't even remember Damon being all that political before this past election, but I'm sure he did something to be skewered like that.

Why was this song not nominated for Oscar, I wonder. Maybe it has to be a certain length. (Then again, Stu's Song from The Hangover was eligible and was not much longer.)

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:46 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

Well nothing, the Matt Damon puppet came out all stupid-looking and on the spot Parker-Stone made Matt Damon retarded.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:02 pm
Emma Watson
Keira Knightley
Kristen Stewart
Natalie Portman
Zoe Saldana
Rachel McAdams
Anne Hathaway
Kate Beckinsale
Amy Adams
Emily Blunt

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:17 pm
Pedro wrote:
Why was this song not nominated for Oscar, I wonder. Maybe it has to be a certain length. (Then again, Stu's Song from The Hangover was eligible and was not much longer.)

Good question. My answer is purely speculation. The Academy members probably found such clever, edgy humor to be completely unfunny and dumb. They seem pretty out of touch most of the time.

Patrick wrote:
Well nothing, the Matt Damon puppet came out all stupid-looking and on the spot Parker-Stone made Matt Damon retarded.

That makes it even funnier. I wonder how Damon feels about it. He's always seemed to have a pretty good sense of humor, so he probably takes it well.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:51 am
Both Damon and Clooney are good friends with Parker and Stone. Clooney was instrumental with getting South Park to air, and both Clooney and Damon have said they would have been offended if they HADN'T been in the movie.

"I love it. It is gonna plague me. In America, walking down the street I get 'Maaatttt Daaamooon'."
- Matt Damon

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:06 am
Current (in no particular order):

Marion Cotillard
Amy Adams
Zooey Deschanel
Scarlett Johansson
Natalie Portman
Michelle Monaghan
Mila Kunis
Emma Stone
Zoe Saldana
Eva Green

8-)

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:36 pm
I'm going to do my list and my girlfriends list, which we actually talked about with her whole family the other night. Pretty hilarious.

Mine:
Christina Hendricks!!!!!!!!!!
Salma Hayek
Eva Mendes
Kate Winslet
Jeri Ryan

Hers:
Bradley Cooper
Matthew McConaughey
Leonardo Dicarprio
Ryan Reynolds
Ryan Gosling

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:06 pm
O.K. here I go (sorry I'm bad at math, might be more than 10...)

Present:
AmandaPeet
Elizabeth Shue
Mila Kunis
Evangeline Lilly
Rachel McAdams
Freida Pinto
Eva Mendes
Charlize Theron
Uma Thurman
Kate Beckinsale
Franka Potente

Back in their prime (some just a few years ago - others a few years more):
Mädchen Amick
Rita Hayworth
Sherilyn Fenn
Angela Bassett
Michelle Pfeiffer
Nia Long
Catherine Deneuve

Nothing more from the "classic" beauties, because back then "beautiful" meant something slightly different. Like, say, Grace Kelly: stunning beauty in her time, but is she "hot" by today's standards?

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:05 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
And Team America is one of the funniest, smartest things I've ever seen. Oh, how I love that movie.

Absolutely! It never picked up the legendary status that South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut did but there are many moments that are just as razor-sharp. I get the feeling that Stone and Parker are two douchebags incapable of taking anything seriously but I'm happy that they can write as they do. Team America was a great comedy -- that it also managed to take down every single political target in its path is a major bonus.

Quote:
Matt Damon!

Taking this thread back off topic... really? South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut was both relatively smart and consistently funny. Team America was, for the most part, neither. The opening sequence entertainingly riffed on Bay/Bruckheimer trash, but then what did we get? Puppet sex, a conversation about dicks, pussies and assholes, and Michael Moore blowing up Team America's layer. Those are the only funny scenes in the film, and only because they are audacious. The film hardly took down a political target as opposed to made fun of them to no end, purpose or rhyme. Lets chuckle at the foreigners going "Ba durka durka" before we don't know why we're laughing at the same joke over... and over... and over again, haha.

Sorry, I was rather disappointed by that movie.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:00 am
Yeah, Team America didn't do too much for me either, most of the jokes didn't provoke much of a reaction out of me, my hatred for South Park was more personal as the show hadn't appealed in the least either, but with Team America, it just felt like Matt and Trey were trying way too hard to be clever and failed for the most part.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:53 am
JJoshay wrote:
Taking this thread back off topic... really? South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut was both relatively smart and consistently funny. Team America was, for the most part, neither. The opening sequence entertainingly riffed on Bay/Bruckheimer trash, but then what did we get? Puppet sex, a conversation about dicks, pussies and assholes, and Michael Moore blowing up Team America's layer. Those are the only funny scenes in the film, and only because they are audacious. The film hardly took down a political target as opposed to made fun of them to no end, purpose or rhyme. Lets chuckle at the foreigners going "Ba durka durka" before we don't know why we're laughing at the same joke over... and over... and over again, haha.

Sorry, I was rather disappointed by that movie.

Obviously, comedy is incredibly subjective so I won't tell you that you must think the film is funny. To each their own and all that crap. That said, the movie is a pretty scathing political satire. To say "The film hardly took down a political target" is, to me, plain wrong. Sure, the movie is littered with dick jokes, but that's part of it's beauty - discerning between what's just toilet humor and what is genuine satire.

The whole puppet concept stems from people being controlled by governments. Calling out specific actors for their ridiculous political opinions (specifically a guy like Sean Penn - Iraq is so beautiful, those people are so happy!) and having them belong to an organization called F.A.G. is about as harsh as a satire can get. The opening of the film is an absolutely brilliant comment on our military strategy (as well as a riff on the action movies you talked about) ending with the line, "Bonjour, everyone. Don't worry. Everything is bon." The Parisian puppets just had their city destroyed and we're just getting around to saying hello (and halfway trying to use their language) and acting like we fixed everything. Hell, even the title of the film, Team America: World Police, is a shot at the country. That's what America does. We think we are the police of the world. Usually, we just fuck more shit up and make it worse, hence the opening of the film.

Then there's the dicks, pussies, assholes speech. Surely it's audacious, but with the following knowledge in hand, it's fairly easy to see the genius behind that speech:
Dicks = Republicans
Pussies = Democrats
Assholes = Terrorists

If the film has one central message, it is probably in that speech. I'm not sure it does, it seems more interested in just taking down the politcal system as a whole, but if there is one, it's right there. Sometimes you just gotta let the dicks fuck the assholes. Or maybe the point is in Kim Jon Il's line, "Why is everyone so fucking stupid?"

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:16 am
Pete covered most of the ground already but I'd like to add that Team America, much like any political comedy, is rooted in its timeliness moreso than most comedy. In 2004's climate there were so many horrendous figures up to and including condescending top-billed actors that the movie felt like a brief respite from all of the stupidity. Here were these two brazen guys that were openly mocking the government, the American perception of terrorists, terrorists, the so-called war on terrorism, everything in between and doing it all without taking any prisoners. As a satire of American values circa 2004 it was dead-on if undeniably broad. There's value in watching a movie that doubled as a temper tantrum. If you don't find it funny then you don't find it funny.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:36 pm
I know I'm in the minority on this one but I don't think Megan Fox is attractive or 'hot' really at all.Sure she's 'slutty' but so what?She does absolutely nothing for me in the looks department and acting as well.

Mine are in no order
Emma Watson
Natalie Portman(maybe my #1)
Diane Lane
Scarlett Johansson
Kate Winslet
Anna Friel
Audrey Tautou

I have more but those are the obvious ones that come to mind.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:54 pm
floatingworld wrote:
Audrey Tautou

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not may have killed that one for me.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:35 am
Critic

JJoshay wrote:
floatingworld wrote:
Audrey Tautou

Well Amelie made me want to fucking murder her.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:04 am
Some great lists. I could do another 10, easy, but I'll stick with my original. Some that were thisclose to making my top 10 that have been mentioned are Natalie Portman, Emma Watson, Eva Green... nobody mentioned Rhona Mitra, but she was damn close.

As for Team America, it was brilliant. Equal opportunity skewering always gets an extra bonus star in my book. Very smart, high-brow juvenelia. If you don'T get it, you don'T get it, but it was very well done.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:37 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
JJoshay wrote:
floatingworld wrote:
Audrey Tautou

Well Amelie made me want to fucking murder her.

I've tried to stay away from that one.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:23 pm