Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:26 am

Good Movies with a little Pot 
Post Good Movies with a little Pot
I vaguely recall an old thread about movies that are better when you're high. This is different. I'm looking for your favourite (and/or underrated) films where marijuana and/or marijuana culture plays a part. While some of those movies may be more fun under the influence of THC, it is not a requirement for this list.

I'll start with an obvious choice: Pineapple Express isn't necessarily a "stoner movie", but it is a movie about stoners. And a good one at that. Pity that James Franco doesn't get more comedies since. (You totally have my permission to expand on those brief thoughts. Please give this movie its due).

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:13 pm
Critic

Post Re: Good Movies with a little Pot
I haven't seen Pineapple Express (I resist David Gordon Green's move into the mainstream) but doubt I would like it, as my experience with weed is incredibly minimal.

But for a good movie with a little pot in it, I'll contribute Dazed and Confused, which is a perfect answer not only because of its use of marijuana--the monologue on George and Martha Washington fixing up a nice bowl is priceless--but also because it ALSO was mentioned in the "Good Movies with Little Plot" thread.

Oh, and I would be remiss if I neglected to mention Reefer Madness

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:21 pm
Pink Floyd's The Wall, Apocalypse Now, Fantasia...

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:56 pm
Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle is my standard answer as you've probably guessed. I also half-heartedly recommend the inferior sequel -- it's got some great moments but was mostly mediocre.

I liked American Beauty and liked watching Kevin Spacey's descent into what his wife calls "smoking illegal narcotics in the garage."

The first scene of Super Troopers, one of the most memorable five minutes of any recent comedy, has some other drugs thrown into the mix but it's the marijuana that keeps the driver and his shotgun man in such a steady state of mind. Or maybe it was the cops that did that... .

Brad Pitt's marijuana-soaked character in True Romance was one of the last times I responded to anything Mr. Pitt did. Underrated movie, too.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:28 pm
I read ed's post and immediately thought of 3 movies. James and Mark took 2 of them (Dazed and Confused, Roldy and Kuuuuuuumar). The third? The Big Lebowski. I had never heard, or even heard of, Bob Dylan's "The Man in Me" before that movie. Now, it'll be played at my wedding, whenever that may occur. That has nothing at all to do with the stickiest of the icky, but it's one of the many, many reasons I love that movie.

JamesKunz - SEE IT!!!!

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:59 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
I read ed's post and immediately thought of 3 movies. James and Mark took 2 of them (Dazed and Confused, Roldy and Kuuuuuuumar). The third? The Big Lebowski. I had never heard, or even heard of, Bob Dylan's "The Man in Me" before that movie. Now, it'll be played at my wedding, whenever that may occur. That has nothing at all to do with the stickiest of the icky, but it's one of the many, many reasons I love that movie.

JamesKunz - SEE IT!!!!

Ehhhh. I like the Coens, but it's such an internetpeople movie and they tend to be wildly overrated by said internetpeople. Like Fight Club

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:00 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

JamesKunz - SEE IT!!!!

Ehhhh. I like the Coens, but it's such an internetpeople movie and they tend to be wildly overrated by said internetpeople. Like Fight Club

While I agree in regards to Fight Club, your jadedness makes me feel like so: :cry:

Don't be discouraged by the internetpeople hype on this one. You know how you said something like "a great comedy has to be funny and want to say something to be considered great?" That's The Big Lebowski in spades. The hype is warranted for this one.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:10 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

JamesKunz - SEE IT!!!!

While I agree in regards to Fight Club, your jadedness makes me feel like so: :cry:

Don't be discouraged by the internetpeople hype on this one. You know how you said something like "a great comedy has to be funny and want to say something to be considered great?" That's The Big Lebowski in spades. The hype is warranted for this one.

Alright Pete, you've convinced me. It's officially now on my Instant Queue

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:04 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
The first scene of Super Troopers, one of the most memorable five minutes of any recent comedy, has some other drugs thrown into the mix but it's the marijuana that keeps the driver and his shotgun man in such a steady state of mind. Or maybe it was the cops that did that... .

Brad Pitt's marijuana-soaked character in True Romance was one of the last times I responded to anything Mr. Pitt did. Underrated movie, too.

Damn straight! True Romance was a great movie, one of those films that just had me smiling at the end. Super Troopers is funny as hell too.

"I'm freakin' out man!"
"You are freakin' out... MAN!"

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:39 pm
Anyone see Half Baked? It's simultaneously terrible and very funny. I never thought I'd say this, but watch for the Bob Saget cameo.

JamesKunz wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

FWIW, this is one of those that gets better every single time. You might not appreciate its greatness with just one viewing.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:02 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Anyone see Half Baked? It's simultaneously terrible and very funny. I never thought I'd say this, but watch for the Bob Saget cameo.

JamesKunz wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

FWIW, this is one of those that gets better every single time. You might not appreciate its greatness with just one viewing.

I thought Half Baked was hilarious when I was 18. I thought it was terrible when I was 22. So, ed's probably right, it's both.

Lebowski does get better and better every time. Honestly, I thought it was merely alright the first time I saw it. I'm still happy James has decided to check it out, though.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:34 pm
Assistant Director

majoraphasia wrote:

Floyd is hands down Brad Pitt's best character ever. He has the best lines in the film.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:37 am
The Wall, I suppose but I am tired of people saying that you can only understand it with drugs. I can understand it without drugs, even if it did take a few viewings and the fact that I am a hopeless Pink Floyd nerd.

Ralph Bakshi's Wizards is a great movie to watch high. In fact when I first watched it I thought I was high, especially when the rotoscoped purple panzer tank drove by. I'm not a Ralph Bakshi fan, but Wizards is goofy fun and it does have a creative take on a tired premise, and it's as trippy as any of his other films but with less pain.

Naked Lunch! I won't comment on this one. It might as well dispense drugs, sure it's technically anti-drug, but it's hard to tell on your first viewing.

Oh, and The Forbidden Zone. This is a terrible movie if you want to be technical, but its a ton of fun if you like B-Movies. If you don't like B-Movies.... stay away. If you do like B-Movies, hell, I'd take Forbidden Zone over Rocky Horror and seeing as I'm one of those twits that goes to Rocky Horror in costume every year that's saying something. Fun on its own, but watching it with a little ganja though, it'd probably come off as a masterpiece.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:12 pm