Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Favorite Movies Made Before 1939 
Post Re: Favorite Movies Made Before 1939
I know I just watched it but I kind of expected more of you to have seen Un Chien Andalou. It is all of 16 minutes long.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:05 am
JJoshay wrote:
I know I just watched it but I kind of expected more of you to have seen Un Chien Andalou. It is all of 16 minutes long.

I've seen it! It's kind of a baffling film, but always interesting in the way it produces visuals. It certainly doesn't feel like half a century when you watch it.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:06 am
Critic

JJoshay wrote:

Who says more of us haven't seen it? Perhaps we just didn't want to add a 15 minute surrealist montage to our favorite movies?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:34 am
JamesKunz wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

Who says more of us haven't seen it? Perhaps we just didn't want to add a 15 minute surrealist montage to our favorite movies?

Or maybe we just wanted to put real movies on our lists? Nothing against Chien but it's more of a weird short than a movie.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:53 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
I see Syd gave a shout out to Sunrise. That was cool because FW Murnau was the fucking bomb. Imho his worst movie was also his last: Tabu. I still gave that one an 8 though.

They should make a biography about the man. At 7 feet tall he must hold the record for world's tallest homosexual. Of course, he passed on via the car accident route. Turns out that having your 14 year old Filipino lover drive is a bad idea.

This post... this post was delightful!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:39 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
JJoshay wrote:

Eh, fair enough.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:36 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I see Syd gave a shout out to Sunrise. That was cool because FW Murnau was the fucking bomb. Imho his worst movie was also his last: Tabu. I still gave that one an 8 though.

They should make a biography about the man. At 7 feet tall he must hold the record for world's tallest homosexual. Of course, he passed on via the car accident route. Turns out that having your 14 year old Filipino lover drive is a bad idea.

Me and my Filipino lover thank you.

Hey! JB should get on this thread...wait...was that wrong of me?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:53 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Me and my Filipino lover thank you.

Hey! JB should get on this thread...wait...was that wrong of me?

If it was wrong Ed, then I don't want to be right

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:16 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Ugh I hated The General. What a sad day that was when I watched it and the laughs never came...

How could you hate The General? I simply don't understand. :cry:

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:40 am
Critic

JJoshay wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Ugh I hated The General. What a sad day that was when I watched it and the laughs never came...

How could you hate The General? I simply don't understand. :cry:

Because it was so overlong (I saw the 107 minute version) and it. was. not. funny. This movie is billed as a comedy and there's nothing remotely funny about it. So agonizing

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:59 am
Director

This is a good question. Ones that immediately come to mind:

Duck Soup
The Gold Rush
Grand Illusion
King Kong
Metropolis
Nosferatu
Potemkin
Scarface
The 39 Steps

Potemkin and Metropolis are among my favorite films, and so is King Kong. Duck Soup is one of my all-time favorite comedies...but I'm not sure where I'd put it on a favorite films list.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:32 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
This is a good question. Ones that immediately come to mind:

Duck Soup
The Gold Rush
Grand Illusion
King Kong
Metropolis
Nosferatu
Potemkin
Scarface
The 39 Steps

Potemkin and Metropolis are among my favorite films, and so is King Kong. Duck Soup is one of my all-time favorite comedies...but I'm not sure where I'd put it on a favorite films list.

Great list and...Metropolis. Yum. Gorgeous too. Someone should take a still from that movie and make an awesome forum avatar.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:12 am
JamesKunz wrote:
I wish I could say differently, but they [movies from the silent or semi silent era] bore me. No matter how accomplished they are, for some reason they just feel dull. I can feel Roger Ebert's heart breaking as I say this, but I can't help it. I saw Strike and Man with a Video Camera in theaters and I almost fell asleep. I'm so sorry Roger!

I'm with you here. A few months ago a 25 year woman told me she is unable to watch movies from the 80s and older and even being mad a bout that, the pacing is too uneven and they drag. ADHD might be part of it - but I fully understand: movies cut/edited the old way on Moviolas and Steenbecks simply can't have the tight and even pacing of a modern movie edited on Final Cut Pro software.
Sure there are many other aspects involved such as lighting, image composition, the gradual shift away from stageplays (in some movies from the 1970s actors are still yelling through the entire dialog as if they were talking to a crowd rather than to each other) and simple as that: taste. I myself have a lot of trouble taking people in white pancake-face makeup, making extremely wild gestures and ridiculous facial expressions while the camera remains static as a rock, seriously. That's most likely why comedy from the silen era works way better.

I have seen the German version of "The Blue Angel (1930)" many times. Once I get over the yelling and overacting I find it very good. It may even be excellent, but this is is harder and harder to judge as the way movies are made is changing. Anyway: Emil Jannings is simply brilliant in this, great (very) old school character acting. I have yet to see the Engish language version - I read it is somehow different.

The following movies I like have all been mentioned before. Whenever I have the patience, I watch them without fast forwarding:

Fritz Lang's M (1931)
City Lights (1931)
The Gold Rush full 1925 version
Metropolis (1927) looking forward to seeing the recently re-inserted footage
Nosferatu (1922) even though I can't take it 100% seriously
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 1937 (no patience needed, this is perfect)
King Kong (1933) - I also like the epic 2005 version a lot
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) even though Cary Elwes ruined it for me 8-)
All Quiet at the Western Front (1930) years ahead of its time
Frankenstein (1931)
Freaks (1932)

Not exactly extensive or original ... there are still many films from that period I never saw in its entire length. Didn't find the patience it takes...

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:24 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
The following movies I like have all been mentioned before. Whenever I have the patience, I watch them without fast forwarding:

Fritz Lang's M (1931)
City Lights (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
Freaks (1932)

Not exactly extensive or original ... there are still many films from that period I never saw in its entire length. Didn't find the patience it takes...

Good list, but you already knew that. Why no Bride of Frankenstein though? Not a fan? I think it's one of the few sequels that is better than the original.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:36 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Good list, but you already knew that. Why no Bride of Frankenstein though? Not a fan? I think it's one of the few sequels that is better than the original.

Well I thought about it. A lot. I just didn't think it would be right, since the last time i saw it on tv (and not even alone with attention in its entire length) was decades ago. If I would have seen it more recently, it would definitely be on my list.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:03 pm
Critic

Threeperf35 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
I wish I could say differently, but they [movies from the silent or semi silent era] bore me. No matter how accomplished they are, for some reason they just feel dull. I can feel Roger Ebert's heart breaking as I say this, but I can't help it. I saw Strike and Man with a Video Camera in theaters and I almost fell asleep. I'm so sorry Roger!

I'm with you here. A few months ago a 25 year woman told me she is unable to watch movies from the 80s and older and even being mad a bout that, the pacing is too uneven and they drag. ADHD might be part of it - but I fully understand: movies cut/edited the old way on Moviolas and Steenbecks simply can't have the tight and even pacing of a modern movie edited on Final Cut Pro software.
Sure there are many other aspects involved such as lighting, image composition, the gradual shift away from stageplays (in some movies from the 1970s actors are still yelling through the entire dialog as if they were talking to a crowd rather than to each other) and simple as that: taste. I myself have a lot of trouble taking people in white pancake-face makeup, making extremely wild gestures and ridiculous facial expressions while the camera remains static as a rock, seriously. That's most likely why comedy from the silen era works way better.

Ahh thank God Mr. Perf: when we die, we can share a cell in cinephile Hell together

I have seen the German version of "The Blue Angel (1930)" many times. Once I get over the yelling and overacting I find it very good. It may even be excellent, but this is is harder and harder to judge as the way movies are made is changing. Anyway: Emil Jannings is simply brilliant in this, great (very) old school character acting. I have yet to see the Engish language version - I read it is somehow different.

Fritz Lang's M (1931)
City Lights (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
Freaks (1932)

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:53 pm
Bringing up Baby - I love, love, love this movie. So much fun. This was on the cusp of this list's cut off date methinks (1938) but I'm hoping it still counts. It's a really funny movie and it's proof that old comedies can have a timeless charm. I've shown this one to a lot of people who watch modern comedies and they still get a laugh.

The Adventures of Prince Achmed - I'm an artist and when my husband entered film school, I decided I would start studying animation and help him animate one of his films. I was talking to an art professor at the local university and he asked me if I wanted to see "the first feature length animated movie ever made" and I said sure; even though like a lot of people I know at least I was told that was Snow White; and he showed me this gem. This is an absolutely breathtaking feature. I believe it was made in 1926, and it's all done with silhouettes and stop motion. The art design is fantastic - drawing heavily from Persian and Arabian mythology. The story does as well and the film is undeniably an homage to 1,001 Arabian Nights. This movie absolutely entranced me, it has a very sensual feel to it - especially during the scene where Achmed meets a group of women with the ability to transform into winged creatures inside of a pool of water, there is a gorgeous blue tint and strangely enough the water effects are some of the most impressive - it looks realistic in its flow and motion, but one has to think of the fact that it was all done with paper. This is very much worth a look.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - I love this one for its style. I don't know why but the crooked angles and surreal tone really appeals to me. The story and art design are fascinating and inventive, and the movie has a very dream like feel and is rather creepy at times. Not quite a nightmare but a very bizarre dream.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:30 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Ahh thank God Mr. Perf: when we die, we can share a cell in cinephile Hell together

Fritz Lang's M (1931)
City Lights (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
Freaks (1932)

Cinephile Hell is right. Yes, there are a lot of differences between then and now as far as movies go, but I think a lot of those differences (especially a difference in pacing) are just in your mind.

Other good ones that haven't been mentioned much: The Old Dark House, The Scarlet Empress, Angels With Dirty Faces, Footlight Parade, and Stage Door.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:25 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Pedro wrote:
From my recently updated top 150:

26. City Lights (1931)
33. M (1931)
46. Chelovek s kino-apparatom (1929)
76. Bronenosets Potyomkin (1925)
85. Modern Times (1936)
86. Nosferatu: Eine symphonie des grauens (1922)
102. Duck Soup (1933)

I'm surprised to see Man with a Video Camera on here. While it's a marvelous film from a cinematography standpoint, I think of it more of a film to admire than embrace.

Unke wrote:
I particularly like The General (Keaton)

Huh? Just saw Movie camera at the SF Silent Film Festival - marvelous and exhilarating!
Rob

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:52 pm
My favorite films released before 1939

39 Steps, The (1935)
Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Battleship Potemkin (1925)
City Lights (1931)
Gold Rush, The (1925)
Grande Illusion, The (19437)
Intolerance (1916)
King Kong (1933)
Man With A Movie Camera, The (1929)
Nosferatu The Vampyre (1922)
Passion Of Joan Of Arc, The (1928)
Sunrise : A Song Of Two Humans (1927)

Special mention to "Greed" (1924) - maybe the best ending of any movie - period!

Rob

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:56 pm