Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Find positives in the worst movies you've seen 
Post Re: Find positives in the worst movies you've seen
majoraphasia wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrQ1GLajGCU

How can you not love a movie that features a terrible delivery of ONE SINGLE WORD!?!?

After watching that clip I immediately bumped Showgirls up to the very top of my Netflix queue. I feel I will regret this decision, but I don't care. Yi Yi can wait.

On topic, I'd love to find positives in the worst movies I've seen, but there was nothing positive about Star Wars: The Clone Wars, so I can't. No really, nothing. Sorry. Come back next week.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:04 am
I Spit on your Grave - Well, at least the woman in this got some gory revenge including feeding one of the guys into a boat propeller. Yet even then it's not worth sitting through an hour and 10 minutes of a woman getting raped, tortured, and raped again to get to the 20 minute revenge part.

Bloodsucking Freaks - As awful this flick is, I did have a chuckle at the death scene where a man is tied up on stage and is killed by *drumroll please* A Ballet dance. A ballet dancer is forced to perform on stage by the films villain Sardu and he decides to tie up a critic on stage as well who gets in the way of her performance and essentially she kills him by kicking him/hitting him etc. during her dance yet paying no mind to it until he's dead. :lol:

A Troll in Central Park - As godawful as this film is, Don Bluth's talent as a film maker at least remained true in the animation department. This was true with his other 1990's flicks that were so mediocre, they at least had good animation. Not worth sitting through it but you can tell he at least put effort into that part.

Predator 2 - The bit involving the predator and the kid who thinks he saw a ghost (and offered the predator candy) was funny, and it was also funny later when the Predator is about to claim a victim on the subway and uses the kids voice to say "Want some candy?" I'll also admit that Danny Glover calling the predator "Pu**y Mouth" made me chuckle when I noticed how accurate that was. Otherwise this is a terrible film and a terrible sequel.

Kairo - This is one of the most boring movies I've ever sat through, let alone one of the most boring "horror" movies ever made. I'm fine with a slow pace, but this movie is about two and a half hours of nothing happening. Yet there were two things that were genuinely creepy; one was the bit where the main protagonist has a chat with one of the ghosts that has entered our world, the effect on the ghost is creepy and while heavily convoluted the exposition given and the basic idea behind the plot is nonetheless creative. That and I do admit that it was somewhat creepy when we saw a house full of people that died, because when people die in this movie they only leave behind a shadow and the scene inside a house that was filled with death has oscillating shadows and many of them are shadows of people in pain. That was cool.

Uzumaki (It means "Spiral") -OKAY, okay. This is very far from one of the worst movies I've seen, but it is an utterly idiotic poorly written poorly acted film. Yet the visuals are often creative, sticking to the films eponymous theme of spirals. The death scenes are cool and it is nice to see some more subtle effects like grass curling up or water comprised completely of whirlpools. Don't watch this film, but look up some images or YouTube videos to see the more interesting scenes abridged from the otherwise dull and utterly idiotic film.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:47 am
Chie1989 wrote:
I Spit on your Grave - Well, at least the woman in this got some gory revenge including feeding one of the guys into a boat propeller. Yet even then it's not worth sitting through an hour and 10 minutes of a woman getting raped, tortured, and raped again to get to the 20 minute revenge part.

Bloodsucking Freaks - As awful this flick is, I did have a chuckle at the death scene where a man is tied up on stage and is killed by *drumroll please* A Ballet dance. A ballet dancer is forced to perform on stage by the films villain Sardu and he decides to tie up a critic on stage as well who gets in the way of her performance and essentially she kills him by kicking him/hitting him etc. during her dance yet paying no mind to it until he's dead. :lol:

A Troll in Central Park - As godawful as this film is, Don Bluth's talent as a film maker at least remained true in the animation department. This was true with his other 1990's flicks that were so mediocre, they at least had good animation. Not worth sitting through it but you can tell he at least put effort into that part.

Predator 2 - The bit involving the predator and the kid who thinks he saw a ghost (and offered the predator candy) was funny, and it was also funny later when the Predator is about to claim a victim on the subway and uses the kids voice to say "Want some candy?" I'll also admit that Danny Glover calling the predator "Pu**y Mouth" made me chuckle when I noticed how accurate that was. Otherwise this is a terrible film and a terrible sequel.

Kairo - This is one of the most boring movies I've ever sat through, let alone one of the most boring "horror" movies ever made. I'm fine with a slow pace, but this movie is about two and a half hours of nothing happening. Yet there were two things that were genuinely creepy; one was the bit where the main protagonist has a chat with one of the ghosts that has entered our world, the effect on the ghost is creepy and while heavily convoluted the exposition given and the basic idea behind the plot is nonetheless creative. That and I do admit that it was somewhat creepy when we saw a house full of people that died, because when people die in this movie they only leave behind a shadow and the scene inside a house that was filled with death has oscillating shadows and many of them are shadows of people in pain. That was cool.

Uzumaki (It means "Spiral") -OKAY, okay. This is very far from one of the worst movies I've seen, but it is an utterly idiotic poorly written poorly acted film. Yet the visuals are often creative, sticking to the films eponymous theme of spirals. The death scenes are cool and it is nice to see some more subtle effects like grass curling up or water comprised completely of whirlpools. Don't watch this film, but look up some images or YouTube videos to see the more interesting scenes abridged from the otherwise dull and utterly idiotic film.

I actually want to check out the first two at some point. Are they really that bad?

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:11 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Chie1989 wrote:

I actually want to check out the first two at some point. Are they really that bad?

You following the same curious road I took? I'm a sucker for controversy and I'm also a sucker for bad movies and exploitation flicks, which is a pretty dangerous road considering you can get a golden gem of tasteless hilarity or you can get something painfully boring or even offensive. "I Spit on your Grave" is one of the few movies that actually offended and upset me. Save for the last 20 or so minutes, the whole movie is rape/torture/rape/torture/rape in that pattern for over an hour before the revenge bit.. The way they shot said rape/torture scenes is extremely uncompromising and unpleasant. I think that the scenes from the original "Last house on the Left" were pleasant in comparison. I wouldn't recommend it at all, it really is a disgusting film in my opinion.

Bloodsucking Freaks is far more watchable. It's just terribly boring for the most part, and the torture scenes and literal objectification of women comes off like a 14 year old with a defective brain screaming "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!! I'm using women as chairs and having a dentist drink someones brains, ARE YOU OFFENDED YET?!" It was a film that intentionally wants to offend, and unless you are a raging feminist (Hypocrisy: I'm a feminist. Then again it's never a good idea to bring feminism to an exploitation flick...) or can't stand gore that would make Lucio Fulci laugh it's not offensive. I will add one more scene that is kind of funny: The cock sandwich. I do feel sorry though seeing as the cock what was borrowed belonged to a character that was supposed to be a good guy. Bloodsucking freaks is just boring beyond belief, but its far more watchable than I Spit on your Grave.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:46 am
Chie1989 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Chie1989 wrote:

You following the same curious road I took? I'm a sucker for controversy and I'm also a sucker for bad movies and exploitation flicks, which is a pretty dangerous road considering you can get a golden gem of tasteless hilarity or you can get something painfully boring or even offensive. "I Spit on your Grave" is one of the few movies that actually offended and upset me. Save for the last 20 or so minutes, the whole movie is rape/torture/rape/torture/rape in that pattern for over an hour before the revenge bit.. The way they shot said rape/torture scenes is extremely uncompromising and unpleasant. I think that the scenes from the original "Last house on the Left" were pleasant in comparison. I wouldn't recommend it at all, it really is a disgusting film in my opinion.

Bloodsucking Freaks is far more watchable. It's just terribly boring for the most part, and the torture scenes and literal objectification of women comes off like a 14 year old with a defective brain screaming "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!! I'm using women as chairs and having a dentist drink someones brains, ARE YOU OFFENDED YET?!" It was a film that intentionally wants to offend, and unless you are a raging feminist (Hypocrisy: I'm a feminist. Then again it's never a good idea to bring feminism to an exploitation flick...) or can't stand gore that would make Lucio Fulci laugh it's not offensive. I will add one more scene that is kind of funny: The cock sandwich. I do feel sorry though seeing as the cock what was borrowed belonged to a character that was supposed to be a good guy. Bloodsucking freaks is just boring beyond belief, but its far more watchable than I Spit on your Grave.

Hey, thanks for the detailed thoughts. Your post screams "avoid at all costs", but I can't help but be intrigued. I guess the most damning indictment is that they're both...boring. Hadn't expected that.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:42 am
Chie1989 wrote:

I haven't actually seen the film, but shouldn't a film about a woman getting gang-raped generally be uncompromising and unpleasant? Because that's exactly what rape is? I mean, isn't any film that wants to explore the horrors of rape but pussyfoots away from making the rape anything but absolutely brutal generally just full of shit? I sounds like you're calling the film "bad" for succeeding at its goal. I mean, if I could I would go back and unwatch Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer and never for a moment regret it, but that's not going to change the fact that I consider it a masterpiece. If you're going to watch horror and exploitation films, you have to be wary of the fact that occasionally such films take their subject matters seriously. That's just how the game is played.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:23 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
Gothika: ridiculously bad, but at least the filmmakers got that dark "ghost-story" mood somehow right.

Mattieu Kassovitz has a talent for making crappy movies with great atmosphere. He did the same with "The Crimson Rivers", although it was better than Gothika.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:41 pm
All About Steve - The bit with the three-legged girl was actually kind of funny.

Tooth Fairy / Princess Diaries 2 - Julie Andrews radiates happiness and warmth.

New Moon - One scene. The tourists are all taken into the special room and eaten by vampires. The one good scene of the movie.

The Avengers - Huge fan of the TV show, so the Patrick Macnee cameo was good, and the music was good too.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:27 am
Director

jbucksnb wrote:
New Moon - One scene. The tourists are all taken into the special room and eaten by vampires. The one good scene of the movie.

:lol: That's sick, disturbing and awful. :lol:

Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:32 pm
Profile YIM
Anything Ed Wood ever made: It inspired Tim Burton's Ed Wood.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:04 am
moulton4 wrote:
Anything Ed Wood ever made: It inspired Tim Burton's Ed Wood.

That's the truth, but I do admit I found Plan 9 hilarious. His other films were worthy of the condemnation they got, but regardless.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:08 am
Attack of the Clones - um.... um.... I guess that shot of pissy Anakin riding off to get Mom was pretty.

Mission: Impossible II - That Metallica music video was pretty good. Which, the rock climbing scene at the beginning was cool.

The Grinch - Didn't the Burl Ives song make the transition? If so, that's good at least. But literally nothing else about this movie is anything but an awful memory.

Planet of the Apes - The Burton blasphemy, I mean; the original is a masterpiece. The costumes and make-up were pretty cool. And the Charlton Heston cameo.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:59 pm
Throughout the dirt and grime that covered the camera lens in Dune, you could occasionally find a cool shot before Lynch's cinematographer somehow ruined it. Also, you got to see "Jean Luc Picard" run into battle while holding a pug.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:08 pm
JJoshay wrote:
Dune... Also, you got to see "Jean Luc Picard" run into battle while holding a pug.

I just got really excited but then remembered you were talking about Dune. The words "you get to see Jean Luc Picard run into battle while holding a pug", when used in that specific sequence, are very exciting.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
JJoshay wrote:
Dune... Also, you got to see "Jean Luc Picard" run into battle while holding a pug.

I just got really excited but then remembered you were talking about Dune. The words "you get to see Jean Luc Picard run into battle while holding a pug", when used in that specific sequence, are very exciting.

Thank you Major, I was rather proud of my diction on that one.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:22 pm
This is kinda a runaround and this isn't really one of the worst movies I've seen but:

Bad Boys II - Due to Hot Fuzz pointing this out, "Shit just got real" has been added to my lexicon.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 am
Patrick wrote:
This is kinda a runaround and this isn't really one of the worst movies I've seen but:

Bad Boys II - Due to Hot Fuzz pointing this out, "Shit just got real" has been added to my lexicon.

That's from Bad Boys II? I used to say that at work to customers before I got promoted! :lol:

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Trolls 2: The green slime oozing from their faces was creepy, and seemed like it belonged in a much better movie.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:47 pm
Chie1989 wrote:

Oh, someone else saw this.
I was sucked in enough by the concept and the atmosphere to overlook all those. really, I'd never seen a movie quite like it.

other movies:

Zardoz: Some moments may be considered humorous. 99% is boring, pretentious, and....bad.

The Story of Riki: It's really funny if you're stoned or feeling giggly. Also has a good demonstration of what someone with superstrength would *really* do to someone with a punch.

House of Mirth: It has Gillian Anderson in it. She does a good job acting like an arrogant rich kid society girl who alternates from being boring and being irritating.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:53 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrQ1GLajGCU

How can you not love a movie that features a terrible delivery of ONE SINGLE WORD!?!?

Absolutely!!!

Another movie I simply find awful, horrible, bad, unsatisfying, boring and uninteresting beyond belief: Earthquake. Chuck Heston, showing his 50+ -ish out of shape upper body, has an affair with Genevieve Bujold? Yeah sure! His wife's father looks the exact same age as him and both wear terrible toupees. All the stories - ALL! - are as uninteresting as they get. Special effects are ridiculous even for the time: the shaking camera, the high rise building in a flexible mirror is only topped by the animated 'blood splatter' elevator scene (I was age 14, bypassing the rating by lying about my age, when I first saw this in a movie theater with Sensurround - and very easily impressed, but the stories and not-so-special-FX ruined everything for me).

Positives: Richard Roundtree is always cool, Walter Matthau as a heavy drinker in a bar - so drunk, he doesn't even notice the Earthquake - is priceless, John Williams: his music score sounds - of course - as if it belongs in a way, way better movie, George Kennedy, there is some dignity in that man which can't be destroyed, even in movies like Bolero which is as close to: 'so bad that it's bad' as it gets (I forgot: Uwe Boll can top it) - that indeed only George Kennedy is the single positive element.

I saw this in Sensurround in the seventies
Really enjoyed the experience
I worked part time at that cinema and they had one big screen.
Great fun!
Rob

Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:44 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next