Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Find positives in the worst movies you've seen 
Post Re: Find positves in the worst movies you've seen
JJoshay wrote:
10,000 B.C. (2008, Roland Emmerich)

There he goes, running dramatically through the field, camera fades in to a closer shot of him running through the field, fades in to a closer shot of him running through the field, one more time... then he falls in a hole. Best. Laugh. Ever.

Awful movie. But, at 2am with a bout of insomnia you could do a lot worse. Also: you could do a lot better. Also: also.

Mon May 24, 2010 9:36 pm
Post Re: Find positives in the worst movies you've seen
You're right, you could do worse: you could follow it up with House of 1000 Corpses. Or you could be stuck in a theater on your best friends birth day a seat away from him while he spends all but two terrible minutes making out with his girlfriend... like I did. He got heat stroke afterwords so we're even.

Mon May 24, 2010 9:55 pm
The worst movie I've seen this year (or at least the fucked me off the most) was Brothers. Natalie Portman was cute and there was one scene, like one, that I thought was dramatic and caught me off gurard. When Tobey straight up asked Jake if he screwed her.

Mon May 24, 2010 10:31 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
There is one glaringly obvious positive in the worst movies I've ever seen: they ended.

Word.

Mon May 24, 2010 10:57 pm
They made me appreciate life without watching them more.

Wed May 26, 2010 7:15 pm
Patrick wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Well, the last movie I saw was The Lovely Bones. Dreadful it may be, but there are positives, or, to be ontopic positves

You SOB, I just now caught that

Don't mind me I kvetch a lot.

Thu May 27, 2010 1:04 pm
Director

In and Out had a good performance by Joan Cusack, who plays about the only character who reacts like a real person would. Matt Dillon has a nice scene with her toward the end.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:24 am
Director

"Wedding Crashers"? I honestly can't think of any. :? I mean, take away the 'in-your-face'-is-an-understatement raunchy 'humor' and you're left with a painfully formulaic rom-com, and vice versa. :|

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:30 pm
H.I. McDonough wrote:
"Wedding Crashers"? I honestly can't think of any. :? I mean, take away the 'in-your-face'-is-an-understatement raunchy 'humor' and you're left with a painfully formulaic rom-com, and vice versa. :|

First, get the unrated version for some fun with Diora Bard. Second Wedding Crashers owned but comedy is incredibly subjective, so i'll stop.

For my entry, In the Name of the King. It has Jason Statham, playing that character that Jason Statham plays, playing a bad ass knight/viking/mad mardigan hybrid. He owns in that movie, but everything he does is completely out of place because the film really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Also, Clerks 2. I found this film just not good, eventhough I generally enjoy Kevin Smith films. Anyway, Rosario Dawson was adorable in this film, and thus its postive.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:34 pm
Comedy is definitely subjective. After watching, I wasn't aware that Wedding Crashers was supposed to be a comedy. Painfully unfunny. The idiotic Will Farrel "Chaz" scene was particularly difficult to watch.

Anyway, positive in that film was Rachel McAdams. Very easy on the eyes.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:40 pm
MunichMan wrote:
Comedy is definitely subjective. After watching, I wasn't aware that Wedding Crashers was supposed to be a comedy. Painfully unfunny. The idiotic Will Farrel "Chaz" scene was particularly difficult to watch.

I just had a similar reaction to The Great Buck Howard. Granted it's not one of "the worst movies" I've seen, but the only parts I really liked were those with Emily Blunt. That woman can act. Yup, that's all I like about her: acting. Nothing else...not even that gorgeous face.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:54 am
Director

MunichMan wrote:

True, that. I didn't laugh once at "Wedding Crashers"... yet I can pretty much laugh my ass off every time I watch something like, say, "Stranger Than Paradise." :|

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:25 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

I just had a similar reaction to The Great Buck Howard. Granted it's not one of "the worst movies" I've seen, but the only parts I really liked were those with Emily Blunt. That woman can act. Yup, that's all I like about her: acting. Nothing else...not even that gorgeous face.

Blunt is also the one really good thing in Dan in Real Life. Dan went for the wrong woman.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:53 am
Syd Henderson wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Blunt is also the one really good thing in Dan in Real Life. Dan went for the wrong woman.

Yes! Her role in Dan is smaller than the one in Buck, but it has even more fire. I hope she brought something to Wolf Man.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:31 pm
Hmm, the worst movies I've ever seen, well I either walked out on those (the least one being Alexander, I walked out after about 30 minutes) or I tried to see if I can sit through some of them on DVD - just for fun, I can't (The Hottie and the Nottie, Without a Paddle....).

Positives (trying hard):

Dumb & Dumber: Jeff Daniels - he is just such a likeable guy, that I kind of pitty him.

Xanadu: Olivia Newton-John: she is talented (even though she lacks true presence), and easy on the eyes; the fact that Michael Beck resembles Barry and Andy Gibb - cracks me up.

Convoy: I was age 17 when this came out, so I thought this was cool. Not anymore.

Showgirls: Gina Gershon, she is badass and the only cast member with acting talent.

Lady in the Water: Paul Giamatti - always good to see him, James Newton Howard's music score, Bryce Dallas Howard - isn't she gorgeous or what?

Color of Night Brad Dourif - he can play nutcases so convincingly; Rubén Blades - again: always good to see him.

Zardoz: this is truly awful, but Sean Connery in a post-apocalyptic (or whatever) epic: that's more than enough to make me watch the flick.

Gothika: ridiculously bad, but at least the filmmakers got that dark "ghost-story" mood somehow right.

The Haunting: overwrought, overblown cheesefest, but I like stories with a group of people in a big old mansion. Perhaps because there are some good examples of that...(pale) shades of Hitchcock maybe?

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:02 am
1998's "The Avengers." Bad beyond belief, but I liked the imagery of the occasional stroll across a pond in those giant hamster-balls.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:55 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:

Showgirls: Gina Gershon, she is badass and the only cast member with acting talent.

Showgirls is the kind of movie pleasure that can only suffer at the hands of "acting talent". When it shows up it highlights the lack of anything good in the rest of the movie. Fun movie that is too watchable to be healthy.
Threeperf35 wrote:

Gothika: ridiculously bad, but at least the filmmakers got that dark "ghost-story" mood somehow right.

It was bad but you're right about the mood -- keep the atmosphere and clean up the rest. A handful of postive notices for this one were understandable.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:52 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Showgirls is the kind of movie pleasure that can only suffer at the hands of "acting talent". When it shows up it highlights the lack of anything good in the rest of the movie. Fun movie that is too watchable to be healthy.

Yep, never thought of it this way but it's so true. The movie looks rather O.K.ish and glossy, but all the "acting" can only be described as amateur hour. It's so incredibly bad, ranging from dull to trashy, it's brilliant. Some parts are just unbelievable, like Rodert Davi, playing a sleazy club owner - his face is blank all the time, the very definition of non-acting, only topped by my secret "worst actor of all time": David Janssen, the original "fugitive".
Gina Gershon (not saying she is great, but she can act) basically is just talking to herself in all scenes she's in, since noone else can act or even re-act...

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:32 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrQ1GLajGCU

How can you not love a movie that features a terrible delivery of ONE SINGLE WORD!?!?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:41 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrQ1GLajGCU

How can you not love a movie that features a terrible delivery of ONE SINGLE WORD!?!?

Absolutely!!!

Another movie I simply find awful, horrible, bad, unsatisfying, boring and uninteresting beyond belief: Earthquake. Chuck Heston, showing his 50+ -ish out of shape upper body, has an affair with Genevieve Bujold? Yeah sure! His wife's father looks the exact same age as him and both wear terrible toupees. All the stories - ALL! - are as uninteresting as they get. Special effects are ridiculous even for the time: the shaking camera, the high rise building in a flexible mirror is only topped by the animated 'blood splatter' elevator scene (I was age 14, bypassing the rating by lying about my age, when I first saw this in a movie theater with Sensurround - and very easily impressed, but the stories and not-so-special-FX ruined everything for me).

Positives: Richard Roundtree is always cool, Walter Matthau as a heavy drinker in a bar - so drunk, he doesn't even notice the Earthquake - is priceless, John Williams: his music score sounds - of course - as if it belongs in a way, way better movie, George Kennedy, there is some dignity in that man which can't be destroyed, even in movies like Bolero which is as close to: 'so bad that it's bad' as it gets (I forgot: Uwe Boll can top it) - that indeed only George Kennedy is the single positive element.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:44 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next