Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:45 am

Movies That Make You Cry Uncontrollably 
Post Movies That Make You Cry Uncontrollably
Grave of the Fireflies, watched just a short time ago, does it to me as powerfully every time.

And I know you have movies like that, too. What are they?

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:49 pm
Post Re: Movies That Make You Cry Uncontrollably
There's something about He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (2003) that just gets me right there*sniffs*

Seriously though, while it doesn't quite make me cry, the montage set to 'Nearer My God to Thee' in Titanic where the ship is sinking brings me awfully close to tears.

And at the end of Where the Wild Things Are I actually did, just a little bit.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:01 am
Director

JJoshay wrote:
There's something about He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (2003) that just gets me right there*sniffs*

Seriously though, while it doesn't quite make me cry, the montage set to 'Nearer My God to Thee' in Titanic where the ship is sinking brings me awfully close to tears.

And at the end of Where the Wild Things Are I actually did, just a little bit.

Where The Wild Things Are almost had me at the end. The last 5 minutes wre beautifully to watch.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:28 am
Profile YIM
Where the Wild Things Are definitely almost made me cry, as did Grave of the Fireflies. Titanic didn't have that effect on me, but Avatar did when
[Reveal] Spoiler:
big-ass Neytiri is holding small-ass Jake Sully in her arms.

I don't know; historically, very few films have made me squirt some, let alone uncontrollably. It'd be better to look at the films that significantly moved me to the point where most people would cry a lot. In that class would be In the Mood For Love, Cinema Paradiso, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Bicycle Thief, Pan's Labyrinth, and Umberto D.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:01 pm
Big Fish. Big Fuckin' Fish, everytime I watch the movie, I cry like a 3 year old preschooler with a stolen lollipop. When Billy Crudup is carrying Albert Finney down the hill at the end, I lose it. Without fail, i've seen the movie roughly 7 times and everytime I bawl.... Forrest Gump still gets me and of course Braveheart. I think that's it though.

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:49 pm
Comedy Central just wrapped up an airing of the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark". It doesn't make me feel like crying but the last scene is pretty bittersweet for an animated sci-fi comedy. The song over that scene is from 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg', or so says The Internet. Any good?

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:34 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Comedy Central just wrapped up an airing of the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark". It doesn't make me feel like crying but the last scene is pretty bittersweet for an animated sci-fi comedy. The song over that scene is from 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg', or so says The Internet. Any good?

The movie? I think so. Then again, there's an absurd amount of musical hate on this forum, so maybe I'm not the best person to give an opinion.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:52 am
majoraphasia wrote:

I can't watch Jurassic Bark ever again. It's way too depressing even with the knowledge of Bender's Big Score doesn't make it better.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 am
Critic

There's only one movie in my serious movie-watching days that has made me cry uncontrollably. Oh sure Grave of the Fireflies and Make Way for Tomorrow got me close, but only one made me sob like a little kid...

Au Revoir Les Enfants. If you haven't seen it, I don't want to give anything away, but there's a part when the director's voice comes on screen and we realize that the story has been autobiographical and...I'm not doing it justice. But it's SO SAD

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:52 am
Patrick wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I can't watch Jurassic Bark ever again. It's way too depressing even with the knowledge of Bender's Big Score doesn't make it better.

It's a great episode, really funny ("Know Ye now what it is to be dog God!") but that last scene is really jarring - Futurama has a few episodes like this. "Time Keeps On Slipping" is another one with a sad last moment that colors the rest of the episode.

Also: Louis Malle was great. I'm looking forward to his masterpiece; I've held off for a couple of months because it looks like such a sure thing.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:10 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

"Runaway Train" finale. And I know a couple of other people with the same reaction.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:42 pm
Critic

Freedom_Fryer wrote:
"Runaway Train" finale. And I know a couple of other people with the same reaction.

When Jon Voigt gets all Christy on top of the train? Wow I had no idea.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:47 pm
Marley and Me I have NEVER i repeat NEVER cried that much during a movie...holy cow. Yes I get choked up plenty of times, but this movie...oh god.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:39 pm
When you say cry uncontrollably...do you mean, "I cannot control these tears that are falling" or the sobbing, runny nose, swollen eye type of crying?

Either way...here are some of mine. I'm a little bitch.

-Neverending Story. Those of you 20/30-somethings know what effing part I am talking about.
-Forrest Gump. Specifically when Forrest is talking to Jenny's grave. Tom Hanks...that guy tears me up everytime there.
-Dances With Wolves. The ending. Wind in His Hair is at the top of that mountain yelling to Dunbar.
-Schindler's List. "I didn't do enough!"

And more...I'll come back with more.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:03 pm
ram1312 wrote:
When you say cry uncontrollably...do you mean, "I cannot control these tears that are falling" or the sobbing, runny nose, swollen eye type of crying?

Either way...here are some of mine. I'm a little bitch.

-Neverending Story. Those of you 20/30-somethings know what effing part I am talking about.
-Forrest Gump. Specifically when Forrest is talking to Jenny's grave. Tom Hanks...that guy tears me up everytime there.
-Dances With Wolves. The ending. Wind in His Hair is at the top of that mountain yelling to Dunbar.

And more...I'll come back with more.

The sobbing kind of tears, not the kind that mist up and get whisked away with the corner of a tissue.

Dances With Wolves is among those movies that I've never seen; parts and snippets have crossed my path but never enough to put together threads of a story. The 1994 version, ie the famous one, of The Fugitive is another one I've never seen.

I have, howevah, seen The Neverending Story and know of what rammykins speaks. A fine movie.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:39 pm
Critic

ram1312 wrote:
Dances With Wolves. The ending. Wind in His Hair is at the top of that mountain yelling to Dunbar.

Oh man do I agree with Dances with Wolves. It's a perfect scene, character-wise. First Kicking Bird tells Dunbar, in his quiet way, that he finds him worthy. And then Wind in His Hair, in his loud and chest-thumping way, says the same thing. And my man-tears start flowing

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm
Pedro wrote:
I don't know; historically, very few films have made me squirt some, let alone uncontrollably.

Movies make me squirt all the time ;)

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:56 pm
The Iron Giant, baby. Exactly when the "Superman" scene starts. You know what I'm talking about. Also, was anyone else just not affected by the end of Grave of the Fireflies? It was sad I guess, but it seems to make virtually everyone weep.

Colin wrote:
Marley and Me I have NEVER i repeat NEVER cried that much during a movie...holy cow. Yes I get choked up plenty of times, but this movie...oh god.

Me too. Although that one probably shouldn't count. It was intentionally manipulative and kept heaping on the sadness.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
The Iron Giant, baby. Exactly when the "Superman" scene starts. You know what I'm talking about. Also, was anyone else just not affected by the end of Grave of the Fireflies? It was sad I guess, but it seems to make virtually everyone weep.

Colin wrote:

Me too. Although that one probably shouldn't count. It was intentionally manipulative and kept heaping on the sadness.

The Iron Giant gets me terribly.
Up does the same thing in the scene we analyzed a while back.
I went to see All Dogs Go To Heaven when I was 5 or 6 with my cousin. I cried and cried. It was so bad that when I got home and was telling my mom about the movie and started bawling and couldn't finish telling her the story.
Marley and Me, however, would be my go to answer if I had to pick just one. I took my girlfriend and mom to see the movie and my mom (being older, wiser, and having read the book) brought tissues. We used all that she brought and were still crying. I have a yellow lab and watching that movie felt like watching my dog die a slow death. I refuse to ever watch it again (even though the overall movie wasn't as bad as I expected). I disagree that it shouldn't count, ed. It was intentionally manipulative and did heap on the sadness, but it still made almost everyone I know that has seen it weep like a little bitch. Looking back on the movie, sure it was manipulative, but during the movie I was just incredibly sad.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:18 pm
You see...that's all I hear about Marley and Me. Bawl fest. I don't seek out movies that will make me cry. I don't want to cry.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:01 pm