Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Top 20 Animated Features (Phase I: MAKE A LIST) 
Post Re: Top 20 Animated Features (Phase I: MAKE A LIST)
majoraphasia wrote:
I'm also pleased to tell you, by which I mean me, that Wall-E has had its supremacy threatened by its omission from Zeppelin and my lists. I know I'm just collecting the data but... come on, how is that movie making it into the top five of virtually everyone's lists?! It wasn't that good! 30 brilliant minutes followed by an hour of nothing at all special! I guess I kind of understand. And nobody else likes (or has seen) Kiki's Delivery Service?

In all fairness to the contributors, only one person placed Wall-E at #1 so things are pretty varied. Actually they're a lot more varied than I would have imagined. Either way, I really liked it. At worst it's still better than Kiki's Delivery Service ;)

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:23 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
I'm also pleased to tell you, by which I mean me, that Wall-E has had its supremacy threatened by its omission from Zeppelin and my lists. I know I'm just collecting the data but... come on, how is that movie making it into the top five of virtually everyone's lists?! It wasn't that good! 30 brilliant minutes followed by an hour of nothing at all special! I guess I kind of understand. And nobody else likes (or has seen) Kiki's Delivery Service?

In all fairness to the contributors, only one person placed Wall-E at #1 so things are pretty varied. Actually they're a lot more varied than I would have imagined. Either way, I really liked it. At worst it's still better than Kiki's Delivery Service ;)

The robot movie appears more frequently in the top five than anything else but it has yet to repeat its #1 listing. Statistics being what they are, it still places ahead of every other animated film... but not by a huge lead. And, cool as it may be, the robot flick ditches most of its wonder when the humans get screen time. I'd still expect it to place high. Kind of surprising that 'Up' didn't take off on the lists but it does go to show how the first scene didn't pay off for most forum contributors.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Man...I don't know how you guys do these lists. I am having a shitty time trying to get this list together. I'm going to come up with something...but I'm not gonna like it.

I'm in bitch mode right now...sorry.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:48 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
My Top 20, sans anything foreign (never seen any):

Any special reason for this Pete or did you just never have the urge?

Blonde Almond wrote:
Also, I saw The Secret Of Kells today. Wow.

Pretty film, huh? Were you aware of the actual book of Kells before? I read up on it afterwards and the movie's plot and art ended up making a lot more sense.

ram1312 wrote:
Man...I don't know how you guys do these lists. I am having a shitty time trying to get this list together. I'm going to come up with something...but I'm not gonna like it.

Just cobble it together and be happy with it. If I tried to differentiate between, say, #17 or #19, I'd get grey hair. Shit, I already see two.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:07 pm
majoraphasia wrote:

Better than 30 minutes of nothing special followed by another hour of nothing special, which is basically what Kiki's Delivery Service is.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:13 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
My Top 20, sans anything foreign (never seen any):

Any special reason for this Pete or did you just never have the urge?

No reason. I've just never been exposed to animated foreign cinema. Hopefully, this thread and the upcoming animated section in the Great Movies thread can get me going.

ed_metal_head wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Just cobble it together and be happy with it. If I tried to differentiate between, say, #17 or #19, I'd get grey hair. Shit, I already see two.

Sound advice. My list took all of 5 minutes for me to come up with. There's no rhyme or reason except for maybe the top 5. I just picked whatever animated movies I liked or loved and typed them in. I looked on other people's lists and said, "Hey! I love that movie!" So, it got a spot. Very scientific stuff, I know.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:17 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

Pretty film, huh? Were you aware of the actual book of Kells before? I read up on it afterwards and the movie's plot and art ended up making a lot more sense.

I wasn't aware of the book; I'll have to look it up and find out some more. Still, a lack of knowledge of the book doesn't detract from the viewing experience. On a side note, it was the first movie I've seen where I had the entire theater to myself, which was kind of surreal, and unfortunate since it's a film definitely worth checking out.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:29 pm
Pedro wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Better than 30 minutes of nothing special followed by another hour of nothing special, which is basically what Kiki's Delivery Service is.

Ouch. But we at least agree 'Millennium Actress' is superior to 'Kiki'.

In defense of the delivery service movie, it's a great big flight of fancy with an earnest, sweet protagonist and has more imagination in the first 15 minutes than the whole of Disney's dread 70s output.

'Wall-E' just couldn't affect me after the hugeness that was Brad Bird's Pixar Double Feature of Excellence. It felt like a step back even if it was the most impressive animation they'd ever put out. There was something joyless in that movie.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:05 pm
Here's me list:

1. Grave of the Fireflies
2. Ghost in the Shell
3. Wall-E
4. Patlabor: The Movie
5. Patlabor 2: The Movie
6. Incredibles, The
7. Up (2009)
8. How to Train Your Dragon
9. Shrek
10. Akira
11. Appleseed (2004)
12. Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
13. Ninja Scroll
14. Finding Nemo
15. Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles
16. Macross Plus: The Movie
17. Battle Angel Alita
18. New Dominion Tank Police
19. Fist of the North Star (1986) [Dubbed version]
20. Barefoot Gen

Last edited by Ragnarok73 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:11 pm
Well fuck it...I gave up, and this is what was on the Word document when I got fed up. I don't know how you guys get a kick out of making these lists. That was seriously painful.

1. Finding Nemo
2. Incredibles
3. Dumbo
4. Toy Story 2
5. Toy Story
6. Lion King
7. Little Mermaid
8. Up
9. Wall-E
10. Monster’s Inc.
11. Iron Giant
12. Ratatouille
13. Ponyo
14. Bambi
15. Pinocchio
16. Kung Fu Panda
17. Grave of the Fireflies
18. Surf’s Up
19. Tarzan
20. My Neighbor Totoro
21. Howl’s Moving Castle
22. Lady and the Tramp
23. Sword in the Stone
24. A Bug’s Life
25. Jungle Book
26. Shrek
27. Fantastic Mr. Fox
28. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
29. Southpark
30. Cars

I'm not entirely happy with it, but there you go major mark daddy. Can't wait to see the final list.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:12 pm
Thanks guys! Great lists, both. Sword and the Stone makes its much-deserved first appearance and Ragnorak's list tells me that the guy is a formidable intelligence when it comes to the greatest kind of animation of all. 'Appleseed' makes a shock debut... wasn't even given a proper theatrical release! Rock on, anime man!

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:23 pm
Something is seriously wrong here - am I really the only one who has listed the Jungle Book? You know, "Bare necessities", a swinging King Louie and all? Balu the Bear is the original dude and has been my role model since the age of 6. Nobody else likes it? I'm surprised!

@Ragnarök73:
You seem to be a fan of animes. Have you seen Steamboy? If not, you should check it out. It's a steampunk story by the guy who did Akira.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:31 am
Unke wrote:
Something is seriously wrong here - am I really the only one who has listed the Jungle Book? You know, "Bare necessities", a swinging King Louie and all? Balu the Bear is the original dude and has been my role model since the age of 6. Nobody else likes it? I'm surprised!

I've got it at 25 on my list Unke. But now you've got me thinking it should have been listed higher. I'm easily swayed...

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:59 am
'Jungle Book' isn't feeling the same kind of love as 'Toy Story' but it's been listed three times (if memory serves) and twice in the top twenty of individuals. 'Black Cauldron', 'The Aristocats', 'An American Tail', 'Rover Dangerfield', 'The Land Before Time', 'Bebe's Kids' and tons of others should only be so lucky. But 'Jungle Book' had some great songs and is among Disney's best during their "decline period".

Still waiting to see a little more Ralph Bakshi action on the list. It will be a long wait.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:22 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:

I wasn't aware of the book; I'll have to look it up and find out some more. Still, a lack of knowledge of the book doesn't detract from the viewing experience. On a side note, it was the first movie I've seen where I had the entire theater to myself, which was kind of surreal, and unfortunate since it's a film definitely worth checking out.

Skim this article. Mostly, look at the pretty pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Kells

Unke wrote:

The Jungle Book is the first film I ever saw in a theatre (it was in Germany!) and for that reason alone I love it. However, I haven't seen it in over 20 years, so I'm not at all comfortable putting it in my list.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:27 am
Unke wrote:

@Ragnarök73:
You seem to be a fan of animes. Have you seen Steamboy? If not, you should check it out. It's a steampunk story by the guy who did Akira.

I'm not a huge fan of Disney's features, mainly because they're aimed exclusively at young children. Yes, I know that many of the recent features are also for kids, but they weren't made to be aimed right at that specific demographic, IMO. If I was 10 years old, I'd imagine that Disney films would be all over my top 20 list.

I like anime primarily because animation is treated as more of a artform in Japan, and I also like that many anime features are aimed at older audiences. There is no way anyone could tell me that Ninja Scroll was made with young children in mind. Then you have a masterpiece like Grave of the Fireflies which wouldn't be popular in North America because it would be something that parents wouldn't take their kids to view, which is a bleeding shame in my book. I haven't seen Steamboy, but I do like steampunk, so I'm going to check it out at some point. Another anime feature that warrants an honorable mention is Perfect Blue, the theme of which deals with the dangers posed to celebrities by obsessed fans (re: stalkers).

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:08 pm
Perfect Blue has a lot to say about celebrity culture in general. Pop idols in America don't even compete, in terms of arriving in a wave of adulation and sputtering out just as quick, with those of Japan.

Perfect Blue charts an idol's rise through the ranks and eventually it looks as if the idol is this hollow cipher for public desire. At some point the idol more or less ceases to be a person, replaced by schemes and self-conscious fantasy. It remains the most brutal excoriation of celebrity ever drawn.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:27 pm
Mr. major,

I'd like to edit my list. I want to add The Brave Little Toaster to mine. I'd like to put it at #10 and bump everything else down a spot. I overlooked it initially. I love that movie. Do I edit my post or do you just make the change? I'll edit my post anyway, just in case.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:55 pm
As long as your list, with any new submissions and/or a reworked order of preference, is edited in your original post it will be the one that is used. I just swap out your old list with the new one and the spreadsheet does the rest.

Speaking of which, when should the first results be posted? The spreadsheet can be updated at any point (I'll eventually upload the file so it can be used by anyone) and so no list has to be final.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:15 pm
Ack, there's one more anime feature that I've been wanting to see but haven't gotten around to yet: Voices of a Distant Star (2002). I've heard so many good things about this sci-fi feature, and it's a point of shame that I haven't made an effort to find and watch it yet. :(

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:13 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next