Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Top 20 Animated Features (Phase I: MAKE A LIST) 
Director

Post Re: Top 20 Animated Features (Phase I: MAKE A LIST)
1) Pinocchio (1940)
2) Princess Mononoke (1997)
3) Spirited Away (2001)
4) Aladdin (1992)
5) Toy Story 2 (1999)
6) Persepolis (2007)
7) Toy Story (1995)
8) Little Mermaid (1989)
9) Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926)
10) Incredibles (2004)
11) Paprika (2006)
12) Dumbo (1941)
13) Sita Sings the Blues (2008)
14) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
15) WALL-E (2008)
16) Tarzan (1999)
17) My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
18) Triplets of Belleville (2003)
19) Chicken Run (2000)
20) Waltz with Bashir (2008)

I could easily go on for another twenty movies. I excluded movies that are only partly animated, such as "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and Jan Svankmajer's "Alice," except for #20, since all but the last minute or so of that is animated.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:35 pm
35. The Little Mermaid
34. Ponyo
33. A Bug’s Life
32. Antz
31. Pocahontas
30. Toy Story 2
29. Bambi
28. Fantasia
27. Mulan
26. Hercules
25. Millennium Actress
24. Watership Down
23. Fear(s) of the Dark
22. Ratatouille
21. Shrek
20. Up
19. Waltz With Bashir
18. The Secret of Kells
17. Princess Mononoke
16. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
15. Monsters, Inc.
14. Paprika
13. Pinocchio
12. Nightmare Before Christmas
11. Mary and Max
10. Lion King
9. Finding Nemo
8. Aladdin
7. Persepolis
6. Beauty and the Beast
5. Toy Story
4. WALL-E
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
2. Spirited Away
1. Grave of the Fireflies

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 pm
Quality lists so far. Good to see someone else with as much Pinocchio love as myself.

The Secret Of Kells is currently playing at my local 1 screen art house theater. I plan on making a trip down to see it sometime this week.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:09 am
Unke wrote:
I suppose the list is only supposed to include feature-length movies, isn't it?

The line had to be drawn somewhere, unfortunately. And I say "unfortunately" because I'd put the Wallace & Gromit short The Wrong Trousers up there with the best of them.

ram1312 wrote:
Damnit major...you're gonna make me do this. I don't do lists. Can't do
them. It is seriously hard for me to do them. But damn you major...I'll
do it. Give me a few.

Don't feel pressured, Mr. Ram. Of course now you're more or less obligated to do that list. But take heart: it doesn't have to be 20 titles. You can submit three, 5, 7, 20, 100 or any number you like.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:27 am
So I updated everything and it looks to be a pretty great list -- over 85 unique titles have been submitted thus far -- with some strong competition for the first four slots. It's still anybody's game (I have no plans on finalizing the list for at least a few more weeks) but, if things continue as they've been going... .

Ponyo made the debut on the list landing smack in last place among every title submitted. The respectable showing for Nightmare Before Christmas (which I still haven't seen) has been a little surprising but the real shock is the clear love for Pixar's first Toy Story. I assumed people pushed it aside for newer, shinier objects. Not the case!

As soon as I see Sita Sings The Blues and two others I'll add to the participation. Thanks to those who have submitted something!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:59 am
ram1312 wrote:
Damnit major...you're gonna make me do this. I don't do lists. Can't do them. It is seriously hard for me to do them. But damn you major...I'll do it. Give me a few.

It better be a good list! If it isn't we'll all mock you...forever ;)

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:50 am
My Top 20, sans anything foreign (never seen any):

1. Dumbo
2. Ratatouille
3. Iron Giant, The
4. Up
5. Wall-E
6. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
7. Nightmare Before Christmas, The
8. Lion King, The
9. Monsters, Inc.
10. The Brave Little Toaster
11. Incredibles, The
12. Toy Story
13. Toy Story 2
14. South Park
15. Finding Nemo
16. Beauty and the Beast
17. Little Mermaid, The
18. Pinocchio
19. Shrek
20. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
21. Aladdin

Last edited by PeachyPete on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:06 pm
Director

1. Ratatoullie
2. Beauty and The Beast
3. The Incredibles
4. Finding Nemo
5. Toy Story 2
6. The Iron Giant
7. Toy Story
8. Up
9. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
10. The Lion King
11. Snow White
12. Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heaven's Door
13. Tarzan
14. Kung Fu Panda
15. The Little Mermaid
16. Aladin
17. The Rescurers
18. Robin Hood
19. The Fox and The Hound
20. Shrek

Last edited by corpen11 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:50 pm
Profile YIM
I've seen maybe 5 of the recurring titles on these lists, and not a one of those five is a classic Disney/Disney Renaissance film. I have also seen very few of the infrequent picks. So while I'd be willing to submit something, my intense ignorance requests that perhaps I should not. If you're fairly short of that 20-30 list goal you're aiming for I'll cobble something together, otherwise I'd rather abstain.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:09 pm
RobertPlant4EVAH!!! wrote:
Dear Major Advice,

Recently, my body has been going through an exciting period of "womanly change". My breasts, once the cause of so much embarrassment and teasing, have become full and delightfully perky. I've grown thick, lustrous fur where I'd previously had no fur, too! The boys on the playground have taken notice of these special changes and now, in place of tugging upon my long blonde pigtails, have started whistling at me as I galavant about the four-square court. The feelings that stir within me have been most confusing! Before I would have stuck my tongue out at those naughty boys but now I wonder what it would be like to hug them and perhaps share a malt with one. Time I would normally set aside for watching animated features has all but disappeared and I worry that I my girlfriends won't like me as much if I don't tell them my "faves"! What shall I ever do?

Sincerely,
Zeppelin (aka RobertPlant4EVAH!!!

Dear RobertPlant4EVAH!!!,

The special "womanly changes" you're experiencing are completely normal. As you've invited Satan into your heart, and nethers, you're showing his marks in the form of a Demonic Dleece and Fleshy Beacons. While I can't envy your guaranteed roasting in hell I certainly understand your inability to come up with a list of animated features -- if I were marked by the Devil himself I too would be unable to list even five movies for a crippling anxiety over the fires that await my soul.

See you in Hell (from Heaven),

Major Advice

But seriously, Zeppelin, it's cool. You're still on my Good Guys list. Don't worry about submitting anything if you aren't completely into it.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:06 pm
I am surprised that there hasn't been more 'Heavy Metal' love. I mean who doesn't like huge breasted cartoon nudity, space car chases, and Montrose?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:39 pm
stiefmo wrote:
I am surprised that there hasn't been more 'Heavy Metal' love. I mean who doesn't like huge breasted cartoon nudity, space car chases, and Montrose?

Someone who doesn't like the very stilted animation ie me.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 pm
stiefmo wrote:

There probably haven't been that many people who have seen the movie. Does anyone here remember the magazine from which the movie sprung? It's considered a relic (maybe unfairly) and is exists as a South Park reference for most of the prospective viewers.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:58 pm
Dear Major Advice,

As the kids say, I loled, you genuine motherfucker. Also, relooking over those lists, I've decided I actually will submit something:

1. Iron Giant
2. Perfect Blue
3. Coraline
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Incredibles

I can't tell if including the above entries is an act of spiting or conforming to your desires, but I sincerely hope it is the former. Enjoy!

P.S. I hope you one day find your genitals forcibly removed by a large animal of some kind.

P.P.S. Recently I've felt a strange tingly sensation in my loins. Is this puberty or crabs?

Sincerely,
ThouArtASmartAss

Last edited by Zeppelin on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:52 pm
Zeppelin wrote:

I hope you one day find your genitals forcibly removed by a large animal of some kind.

Me too, weirdly. I didn't know I had that fetish until I read your post.

Zeppelin wrote:
Recently I've felt a strange tingly sensation in my loins. Is this puberty or crabs?

Your crabs have puberty. Pretty soon you'll be celebrating their Bar Mitzvahs and to that, and your Jewish crabs, I say MAZEL TOV!

And on that note, here's my submission:

1. Spirited Away
2. Millenium Actress
3. Allegro Non Troppo
4. Incredibles
5. Grave of the Fireflies
6. Perfect Blue
7. Toy Story
8. Bambi
9. Kiki's Delivery Service
10. My Neighbor Totoro
11. Cinderella
12. Ratatouille
13. Tarzan
14. Finding Nemo
15. Triplets of Belleville
16. Beauty and the Beast
17. Vampire Hunter D
18. Aladdin
19. Emperor's New Groove
20. Mary and Max
21. Toy Story 2
22. Sita Sings The Blues
23. Persepolis
24. Lion King
25. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
26. Dumbo
27. Up
28. Little Mermaid
29. Howl's Moving Castle
30. Paprika

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:36 pm
Updated!

Exciting for me, anyway.

Thanks to corpen11, PeachyPete, JimmyPageIsAFuckingGod909 and myself for their brilliant contributions.

I'm also pleased to tell you, by which I mean me, that Wall-E has had its supremacy threatened by its omission from Zeppelin and my lists. I know I'm just collecting the data but... come on, how is that movie making it into the top five of virtually everyone's lists?! It wasn't that good! 30 brilliant minutes followed by an hour of nothing at all special! I guess I kind of understand. And nobody else likes (or has seen) Kiki's Delivery Service?

The Iron Giant continues its move upward while Fox and the Hound makes a welcome entry, the South Park movie proves an enduring classic and Dumbo threatens to make its presence known to the top of the crop. Stay tuned!

Coming soon: Trevor's list! That should be something to get your bull a-runnin'.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:06 am
Zeppelin wrote:
I've decided I actually will submit something:
2. Perfect Blue

Dammit! I forgot about Perfect Blue. Quality film right there.

Also, I saw The Secret Of Kells today. Wow.

If I could edit my list, I'd throw both of those somewhere on there. But I'd settle for them being included on the bottom:

31. The Secret Of Kells
32. Perfect Blue

I've actually got The Iron Giant and Kiki's Delivery Service sitting at the top of my Netflix queue right now. I love Miyazaki films, but for some reason have never gotten around to viewing that one.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:30 am
Kiki's Delivery Service would make my top 30

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:32 am
Blonde Almond wrote:
Zeppelin wrote:
2. Perfect Blue

If I could edit my list, I'd throw both of those somewhere on there. But I'd settle for them being included on the bottom:

31. The Secret Of Kells
32. Perfect Blue

I've actually got The Iron Giant and Kiki's Delivery Service sitting at the top of my Netflix queue right now. I love Miyazaki films, but for some reason have never gotten around to viewing that one.

You can edit! Who said you couldn't edit? Your recent submissions have been added to the list.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:40 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
Zeppelin wrote:
2. Perfect Blue

31. The Secret Of Kells
32. Perfect Blue

You can edit! Who said you couldn't edit? Your recent submissions have been added to the list.

Oh, ok, cool! Well, in that case, I edited my list to include those at slightly different spots.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:21 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next