Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Worst Foreign Film Remakes 
Post Re: Worst Foreign Film Remakes
Oldboy sucked as it was, could Zinda really have made it look good?

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:40 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I wonder if we should only be talking about Hollywood remakes of
foreign flicks. If not, then I will submit an example of a bad case of
Bollywood plagiarism: Zinda, the godawful ripoff of
Oldboy.

Which reminds me: has anyone here seen a foreign-language remake of an English-language film? Does such a thing exist?

Studios are actually remaking their own movies for foreign audiences only. This is required reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/movies/22karp.html?_r=1

So far: Sideways, High School Musical (many versions for many countries), Cellular and Ghost. I'm sure that more will follow.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:10 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I wonder if we should only be talking about Hollywood remakes of
foreign flicks. If not, then I will submit an example of a bad case of
Bollywood plagiarism: Zinda, the godawful ripoff of
Oldboy.

Which reminds me: has anyone here seen a foreign-language remake of an English-language film? Does such a thing exist?

Well, Bollywood has also ripped off films from the UK and US. One particularly notorious example is Fool N Final, a ripoff of Snatch- check out the following clip of the film's opening scene:

Opening scene of Fool N Final

It's almost a shot-for-shot ripoff.

Fuck Bollywood. It's even more creatively bankrupt than Hollywood. They took all the bad things from Hollywood and made things worse. Actors are cast for looks, not ability. Virtually every movie is a love story, comedy, action and musical in one. India has good independent cinema. We just don't get to see it.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:12 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Fuck Bollywood. It's even more creatively bankrupt than Hollywood. They took all the bad things from Hollywood and made things worse. Actors are cast for looks, not ability. Virtually every movie is a love story, comedy, action and musical in one. India has good independent cinema. We just don't get to see it.

To be fair, I think that Indian cinema is pretty much where South Korean cinema was at in the 70's and 80's. It wasn't really until the mid 90's that Korean cinema started to turn out original works worth seeing, and it's just in the past decade that Hollywood has started ripping THEM off instead of vice versa.

I think that the development of Indian cinema is intrinsically tied to the development of that nation's economy. The closer India gets to becoming a fully industrialized nation, the higher the quality of its film industry's works will get, IMO.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:17 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Vanilla Sky is a half decent film but nowhere as good as the the Spanish language film Abre los ojos (1997). The latter is highly recommended.

Will see the original ASAP. I know Vanilla Sky inside and out. It's inicial social environment (before the accident happens) is basically about people who are sucessful or savvy in a certain lifestyle, and constantly whacking off about it (peasure delayer etc.) - and: Tom Cruise can't act his way out of a fucking paper bag with a .44 caliber pointed at his head - same goes for Penelope "Da saddas girr I eva saw holdie a Maahdini"- Cruz. "Living the dream!" Yeah!

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:16 pm
Threeperf35 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Vanilla Sky is a half decent film but nowhere as good as the the Spanish language film Abre los ojos (1997). The latter is highly recommended.

Will see the original ASAP. I know Vanilla Sky inside and out. It's inicial social environment (before the accident happens) is basically about people who are sucessful or savvy in a certain lifestyle, and constantly whacking off about it (peasure delayer etc.) - and: Tom Cruise can't act his way out of a fucking paper bag with a .44 caliber pointed at his head - same goes for Penelope "Da saddas girr I eva saw holdie a Maahdini"- Cruz. "Living the dream!" Yeah!

When you put it like that...

Vanilla Sky was a horrifying mess leavened slightly by that excellent first scene: an empty Times Square with "Everything In Its Right Place" squawking over the speakers. It was a steep downhill sprint after that.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:44 am
Threeperf35 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Prepare for more Penelope Cruz. This time En Español. Which really, is the only way Ms. Cruz should be allowed to act.

majoraphasia wrote:

Vanilla Sky was a horrifying mess leavened slightly by that excellent first scene: an empty Times Square with "Everything In Its Right Place" squawking over the speakers. It was a steep downhill sprint after that.

But then "well chosen music" is just about the only good thing in most Cameron Crowe movies.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:43 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:

But then "well chosen music" is just about the only good thing in most Cameron Crowe movies.

I know I'm not the only one who believes that Sophia Coppola and Cameron Crowe, independent of one another, spent a lot of time driving around playing mixtapes. They'll stumble upon a song and turn up the volume, maybe imagine they're on stage performing the song, and think "This is totally end credit music!" or "This would play really well over a montage of a kid on his last day of school." From that point, reducing the mix tape down to 12 or 13 songs, they craft a screenplay that will hit those musical marks just right. Crowe is the more egregious of the two but Coppola made Marie Antoinette for only one reason: two disc set. One of the few movies I've seen that left me feeling really embarassed for the director. That use of "What Ever Happened" by The Strokes? What a bad bad bad bad bad bad bad idea. A frighteningly bad movie.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:21 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I know I'm not the only one who believes that Sophia Coppola and Cameron Crowe, independent of one another, spent a lot of time driving around playing mixtapes. They'll stumble upon a song and turn up the volume, maybe imagine they're on stage performing the song, and think "This is totally end credit music!" or "This would play really well over a montage of a kid on his last day of school." From that point, reducing the mix tape down to 12 or 13 songs, they craft a screenplay that will hit those musical marks just right. Crowe is the more egregious of the two but Coppola made Marie Antoinette for only one reason: two disc set. One of the few movies I've seen that left me feeling really embarassed for the director. That use of "What Ever Happened" by The Strokes? What a bad bad bad bad bad bad bad idea. A frighteningly bad movie.

Thank you for describing the sad truth. Some people are trying to make a living writing music for movies. Directors listening to compilations of trendy pop songs doesn't exactly help people who dedicated their lives perfecting the craft.
A few weeks ago I saw a movie trailer of a high budget war film on the Web (it was so bad, that I didn't even remember it) I thought: I bet my fat ass they will play a U2 song and a Coldplay song. Bingo!!!!!!! I wish I had that much luck in life.....

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:24 am
Threeperf35 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Thank you for describing the sad truth. Some people are trying to make a living writing music for movies. Directors listening to compilations of trendy pop songs doesn't exactly help people who dedicated their lives perfecting the craft.
A few weeks ago I saw a movie trailer of a high budget war film on the Web (it was so bad, that I didn't even remember it) I thought: I bet my fat ass they will play a U2 song and a Coldplay song. Bingo!!!!!!! I wish I had that much luck in life.....

Now hold just a second there. One of the all time great scores is obviously the one Bernard Herrmann (do you like that guy? ;) ) did for Taxi Driver, but I think Scorsese's use of pre-existing songs in movies like Goodfellas is just as memorable. While I agree that modern films should make greater use of a composed score I don't think we should stop using pre-existing tracks altogether (granted you never advocated that).

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:31 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Now hold just a second there. One of the all time great scores is obviously the one Bernard Herrmann (do you like that guy? ;) ) did for Taxi Driver, but I think Scorsese's use of pre-existing songs in movies like Goodfellas is just as memorable. While I agree that modern films should make greater use of a composed score I don't think we should stop using pre-existing tracks altogether (granted you never advocated that).

Given, but "Born to Be Wild" and "Bad to the Bone" are on the permanently barred list

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:55 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Coppola made Marie Antoinette for only one reason: two disc set. One of the few movies I've seen that left me feeling really embarrassed for the director. That use of "What Ever Happened" by The Strokes? What a bad bad bad bad bad bad bad idea. A frighteningly bad movie.

Are Roger Ebert, Peter Travers, Slant Magazine and me the only people who love that movie?

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:40 pm
JJoshay wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Coppola made Marie Antoinette for only one reason: two disc set. One of the few movies I've seen that left me feeling really embarrassed for the director. That use of "What Ever Happened" by The Strokes? What a bad bad bad bad bad bad bad idea. A frighteningly bad movie.

Are Roger Ebert, Peter Travers, Slant Magazine and me the only people who love that movie?

I think it's a very interesting misfire, but don't tell majoraphasia...

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:52 pm
JamesKunz wrote:

Given, but "Born to Be Wild" and "Bad to the Bone" are on the permanently barred list

Yep! Please add to that list: "I feel good".

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:40 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
JJoshay wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I think it's a very interesting misfire, but don't tell majoraphasia...

You know what else was an interesting misfire? The Space Shuttle Challenger.

Yikes. I should try to regrow a soul.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:50 am
New thread idea: "Stop using these songs in movies."

Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:14 pm
Ken wrote:
New thread idea: "Stop using these songs in movies."

Thank you! Not that these songs suck, but as a "safe" choice in so many movies, they suck big hairy beeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:53 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Threeperf35 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

Prepare for more Penelope Cruz. This time En Español. Which really, is the only way Ms. Cruz should be allowed to act.

majoraphasia wrote:

C'mon, Almost Famous is a fantastic film and Say Anything is also great. Jerry McGuire didn't do as much form me as for most, but it is still good. Music is an integral part of those films, especially Almost Famous, and used very effectively but it's not the only positive. If you don't like Almost Famous or Say Anything, you have no soul.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:50 pm
MunichMan wrote:
C'mon, Almost Famous is a fantastic film and Say Anything is also great. Jerry McGuire didn't do as much form me as for most, but it is still good. Music is an integral part of those films, especially Almost Famous, and used very effectively but it's not the only positive. If you don't like Almost Famous or Say Anything, you have no soul.

I like Almost Famous and don't like Say Anything. Does that mean I have half a soul?

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:25 pm
Producer

Zeppelin wrote:
MunichMan wrote:

I like Almost Famous and don't like Say Anything. Does that mean I have half a soul?

Yes. Prepare the sackcloth and ashes.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:13 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next