Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Worst Foreign Film Remakes 
Post Re: Worst Foreign Film Remakes
I'll submit to the list the 1996 remake of Diabolique with Sharon Stone. Just awful.

That remake of The Vanishing was the one that immediately popped into my head as well. America sure knows how to take great foreign thrillers and gut the heart and other juicy organs out of them so all that's left is an empty shell of what was worthwhile in the first place.

Also, who the fuck thought it was a good idea to remake Godard's Breathless with Richard Gere? I haven't seen the movie, but is there any chance in hell that it's not completely worthless?

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:06 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
The original version is unusually cynical and depressing -- enough for several movies, really. But it's got a little tiny kernal of hope buried deep down in the final scenes and that's enough to warrant a look. It would have failed miserably had it been faithfully remade. One Missed Call, however, could have been reproduced almost completely without much loss.

The remakes of "j-horror" are usually so awful it's almost tempting to think that the original version has been completely misunderstood -- how, in the Lifetime Channel-worthy The Uninvited they lost some of the acidic commentary on family that A Tale of Two Sisters had is anybody's guess.

I really want to watch Pulse, I just have yet to do it. As for The Uninvited and A Tale of Two Sisters, the answer to that is simple; The Uninvited was remade for younger, American audiences that don't care about acidic commentary on family but about whether or not the twist at the end was a "mindfuck". The Uninvited was enjoyable enough, but it was no A Tale of Two Sisters.

As for One Missed Call, from what of it I saw (had to leave the house I was watching it and On Demand removed it), it was a good enough movie; has no interest in the remake, changed the creepy ass ring tone to a crappy ass one and that was my first sign of where it would be going.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:42 pm
I saw Vanilla Sky before seeing Abre los Ojos. The original is a million times better, but since I had trouble understanding it on first viewing, the remake helped me fill in the blanks. And I liked Kurt Russell's performance.

I'm also going to add Criminal, the crap remake of the masterful Nine Queens. How you manage to make the exact same movie so dull I'll never understand.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:26 pm
Blonde Almond wrote:
Also, who the fuck thought it was a good idea to remake Godard's Breathless with Richard Gere? I haven't seen the movie, but is there any chance in hell that it's not completely worthless?

I'd also like to know. Anyone seen the remake?

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:49 am
Guess i'm the only one who didn't hate The Vanishing remake, though that's probably cause at the time I watched it, I didn't even know that it was a remake, so I saw the film form a completely different perspective then most people did.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:38 pm
Vexer wrote:
Guess i'm the only one who didn't hate The Vanishing remake, though that's probably cause at the time I watched it, I didn't even know that it was a remake, so I saw the film form a completely different perspective then most people did.

Did you end up checking the original out, Vex?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:26 am
To be honest...I can't say that I watch many remakes at all.

If I know that they are remakes...like Ed said, I try to make it a point to see the original.

Since remakes, the majority of the time, suck, I try to avoid them.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:30 am
ram1312 wrote:
To be honest...I can't say that I watch many remakes at all.

If I know that they are remakes...like Ed said, I try to make it a point to see the original.

Since remakes, the majority of the time, suck, I try to avoid them.

Me too. I went looking for foreign language remakes so I could add to this thread. Vanilla Sky/Abre Los Ojos was one of the very few where I saw both the original and the remake.

Wikipedia has a list on English-language remakes of foreign films. Might be of some interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English-language_films_based_on_foreign-language_films

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:12 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Vexer wrote:

No, never really had the urge to do so.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:15 pm
Critic

Vexer wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Fool

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:47 pm
Vexer wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Blah. Ignore JamesKunz; you wouldn't like the original at all.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:33 pm
Yeah I know, after I learned about the whole remake thing, I read about the original on Wikipedia and found about the changed ending, for the most part I REALLY don't care for ultra-depressing and downbeat endings, so unlike most people I wasn't the least bit angry about the ending being changed, in fact I was extremely glad, same goes for the changed ending to The Descent(especially since there's now a sequel to the Descent that continues after the new ending) Some people may not like that reasoning, but I feel that way because I already get depresed enough just reading the daily news headlines, so I really don't feel the need to get even more depressed watching a film.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 pm
I look at it the other way. If I start to feel down, I'll watch Once Were Warriors, Dancer in the Dark, or listen to some Smiths, Cure, or the whole of Pink Floyd's The Wall. After I see/hear that stuff, I think, "Damn, my life's not so bad after all!"

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:09 am
Oh geezus...Le Cercle Rouge is getting a remake.

According to Wikipedia:

Orlando Bloom is set to play the Alain Delon character Corey in the remake to be directed by Johnnie To. The film is already in pre-production with Bloom learning different martial art techniques to be used in the film. The Red Circle is set to start filming in Hong Kong in 2009. According to IMDb, Chow Yun-Fat, Liam Neeson, and Alain Delon are tentative co-stars.[2]

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:06 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Oh geezus...Le Cercle Rouge is getting a remake.

According to Wikipedia:

Orlando Bloom is set to play the Alain Delon character Corey in the remake to be directed by Johnnie To. The film is already in pre-production with Bloom learning different martial art techniques to be used in the film. The Red Circle is set to start filming in Hong Kong in 2009. According to IMDb, Chow Yun-Fat, Liam Neeson, and Alain Delon are tentative co-stars.[2]

As the original and already perfect version is 40 years old in 2010, I'm hoping a restored 35mm is going to get a release. As for the remake? I wish they would... fuck me, I keep saying this... start shooting some original screenplays instead of screwing with established classics. Are there no intelligent screenwriters left?

And the fuck is up with Bloom boning up on martial arts? Oh, I get it. They've done a Bold Rewrite in order to update the story. Maybe it'll be an ultra-rare copy of an early hardcore video with Betty White and not jewelry. Fuck you, Hollywood.

The original, it must be said, is 95% attitude and style, 5% story. There have been countless heist movies over the past decade and all of them have sprung from Le Cercle rouge's overcoat. It's weird to think that the latest heist movie was influenced by itself.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:44 pm
I wonder if we should only be talking about Hollywood remakes of foreign flicks. If not, then I will submit an example of a bad case of Bollywood plagiarism: Zinda, the godawful ripoff of Oldboy.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:55 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I wonder if we should only be talking about Hollywood remakes of
foreign flicks. If not, then I will submit an example of a bad case of
Bollywood plagiarism: Zinda, the godawful ripoff of
Oldboy.

Which reminds me: has anyone here seen a foreign-language remake of an English-language film? Does such a thing exist?

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:59 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Oldboy.

Which reminds me: has anyone here seen a foreign-language remake of an English-language film? Does such a thing exist?

Funny thing you should ask, Me From An Hour Ago, as 'Stork Day' is an Italian-language remake of the Bill Murray comedy 'Groundhog Day'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374358/

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:41 pm
Producer

Historical note: In the early days of sound, studios would often make the same film in several languages. For instance "One Hour with You" was also made as "Une heure près de toi," and "The Merry Widow" is "La veuve joyeuse." The stars are Jeanette MacDonald and Maurice Chevalier in both versions of each film, but supporting casts are different.

Greta Garbo did an English and a German version of "Anna Christie." I understand the German is better; but the best thing in the English version is Marie Dressler, who is not in the German version. To tell the truth, Dressler was usually the best thing in any of her films.

There was also a Spanish "Dracula" made as an alternate version of the English version. The Spanish one does not have Bela Lugosi.

To go one better, Karl Hartl directed three versions of "F. P. 1 Doesn't Answer," one each in English, French and German. The stars, respectively, were Conrad Veidt, Charles Boyer and Hans Albers. My late friend saw all three, but I don't remember which she preferred.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:29 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Oldboy.

Well, Bollywood has also ripped off films from the UK and US. One particularly notorious example is Fool N Final, a ripoff of Snatch- check out the following clip of the film's opening scene:

Opening scene of Fool N Final

It's almost a shot-for-shot ripoff.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:46 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next