Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Worst Foreign Film Remakes 
Post Worst Foreign Film Remakes
I thought it might be time to start up a new topic in this particular area of the forums, and thinking about the upcoming remake of Let the Right One got me on the track of crappy Hollywood remakes of foreign films.

I'll start this off by naming one film that I have a particular dislike of: The Grudge- If I ever thought that Sarah Michelle Gellar could have a film career, this film pretty much killed it. I don't think I was ever more bored with a supposed "horror" film than this schlocky pile of crap.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:04 pm
Post Re: Worst Foreign Film Remakes
Yeah THe Grudge was pretty awful, Gellar has been pretty bad at picking movies lately, she was in another foreign rmeake-Possession that was completed back in 2006 but never got released to theaters and was only just released to DVD last month. Anyways Let The Right One In is one remake that I really couldn't care less about, I don't really have any storng feelings for or against it, my vote for Worst foreign remake goes to Shutter, one of the aboslute worst horror films ever made, it makes The Grudge look like Silence Of The Lambs by comparison.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:32 pm
Critic

The modern version of The Vanishing! RUINED THE BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL ENDING OF THE ORIGINAL!

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:42 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
The modern version of The Vanishing! RUINED THE BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL ENDING OF THE ORIGINAL!

Godammit piss crap f*ck! That's what I was going to submit! Don't forget Jeff Bridges playing his role in full Mentally Challenged Mastermind mode.

I guess I'll submit 'City of Angels', the Cage-Ryan romcrap from 1998. It was a loose remake of the profoundly flawed but mostly great 'Wings of Desire'. The remake scraps most of the poetry and reconfigures much of the story but does contain a nice touch: Meg Ryan getting nailed by a car.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:56 pm
JamesKunz wrote:

Totally agree with this- if ever a foreign flick was figuratively castrated, it was this one. Damn you, Hollywood!

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:57 pm
Vexer wrote:
Yeah THe Grudge was pretty awful, Gellar has been pretty bad at picking movies lately, she was in another foreign rmeake-Possession that was completed back in 2006 but never got released to theaters and was only just released to DVD last month. Anyways Let The Right One In is one remake that I really couldn't care less about, I don't really have any storng feelings for or against it, my vote for Worst foreign remake goes to Shutter, one of the aboslute worst horror films ever made, it makes The Grudge look like Silence Of The Lambs by comparison.

The original 'One Missed Call' was great (so was 'Pulse') while the remakes were bankrupt. At this point I won't watch a "j-horror" ever again. Everything but the cinematography quirks are lost in translation.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:01 pm
Director

The up and coming remake of Kurasawa's High and Low.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:10 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:

Enh, yeah it's a remake of a film by one of the greatest directors in cinematic history, but I think it may be best to reserve final judgement until it is release. That doesn't mean that I have any high hopes for it by any means, however. I feel the same way about the upcoming remake of Let the Right One In.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:16 pm
Director

majoraphasia wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Godammit piss crap f*ck! That's what I was going to submit! Don't forget Jeff Bridges playing his role in full Mentally Challenged Mastermind mode.

I guess I'll submit 'City of Angels', the Cage-Ryan romcrap from 1998. It was a loose remake of the profoundly flawed but mostly great 'Wings of Desire'. The remake scraps most of the poetry and reconfigures much of the story but does contain a nice touch: Meg Ryan getting nailed by a car.

These were the first two that came to mind; I also thought of The Grudge and The Ring, bit thought the originals were crappy in their own rights, so crappy remakes were in the cards.

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:32 pm
Vanilla Sky is a half decent film but nowhere as good as the the Spanish language film Abre los ojos (1997). The latter is highly recommended.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:40 pm
Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
corpen11 wrote:

Enh, yeah it's a remake of a film by one of the greatest directors in cinematic history, but I think it may be best to reserve final judgement until it is release. That doesn't mean that I have any high hopes for it by any means, however. I feel the same way about the upcoming remake of Let the Right One In.

Yeah, but still........ :(

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:41 pm
Profile YIM
ed_metal_head wrote:
Vanilla Sky is a half decent film but nowhere as good as the the Spanish language film Abre los ojos (1997). The latter is highly recommended.

This is the first one that came to mind for me, even though I have never seen Vanilla Sky.

I was really angry that it was being remade so soon after the original, with the same actress repeating the same lines, only in English, that I decided to boycott it. I mean, I know there's a significant portion of the population that is illiterate, so I guess it makes sense that they can't watch subtitled films, but come on. The same actress, the same movie basically, just a few years later. What is the point?

Same deal with the Let the Right One In remake, Let Me In, although I will probably end up watching that one.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:49 pm
I'm gonna second the motion on Pulse, even though I have yet to see Kiyoshi Kurosawa's original (it's in my instant queue). Pulse was a terrible movie; a boring, contrived mess of a film. The "style" was obnoxious, the scipt made no sense. How are you supposed to make a chase movie when the characters are being chased by ghosts? How are you supposed to run away from a ghost? WHY CAN'T YOU AT LEAST HAVE A DECENT ENDING??!! :evil:

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:50 pm
JJoshay wrote:
I'm gonna second the motion on Pulse, even though I have yet to see Kiyoshi Kurosawa's original (it's in my instant queue). Pulse was a terrible movie; a boring, contrived mess of a film. The "style" was obnoxious, the scipt made no sense. How are you supposed to make a chase movie when the characters are being chased by ghosts? How are you supposed to run away from a ghost? WHY CAN'T YOU AT LEAST HAVE A DECENT ENDING??!! :evil:

The original version is unusually cynical and depressing -- enough for several movies, really. But it's got a little tiny kernal of hope buried deep down in the final scenes and that's enough to warrant a look. It would have failed miserably had it been faithfully remade. One Missed Call, however, could have been reproduced almost completely without much loss.

The remakes of "j-horror" are usually so awful it's almost tempting to think that the original version has been completely misunderstood -- how, in the Lifetime Channel-worthy The Uninvited they lost some of the acidic commentary on family that A Tale of Two Sisters had is anybody's guess.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:27 pm
Trevor wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

This is the first one that came to mind for me, even though I have never seen Vanilla Sky.

I was really angry that it was being remade so soon after the original, with the same actress repeating the same lines, only in English, that I decided to boycott it. I mean, I know there's a significant portion of the population that is illiterate, so I guess it makes sense that they can't watch subtitled films, but come on. The same actress, the same movie basically, just a few years later. What is the point?

Same deal with the Let the Right One In remake, Let Me In, although I will probably end up watching that one.

First one that came to mind, as well. Like you said Ed...not that Vanilla Sky is a bad film, but not on par with the original.

And Trevor...there are some differences in the films, but it's mostly with the pop references that Crowe throws in. He mentions in the commentary, quite a few times, if I remember correctly, about those references.

I was kind of on a Cameron Crowe high when I bought Vanilla Sky. I'm a huge fan of Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous. I had seen Abre Los Ojos and absolutely loved it. When I found out that Crowe was filming it's remake...I was sold. I didn't get to watch it in the theatres but I blind bought the DVD. I was whatever'd by it.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:12 pm
I'm curious the order in which you guys viewed these movies.

What I mean is, did you watch the original first and then the remake? Or was it the other way around?

For me, I saw the original first, was blown away by it...then watched the remake, knew the story...and was less than impressed by the "retelling".

I don't know if I'm making sense. Watching the original lessened the impact of the remake for me. I'm pretty sure I might have enjoyed Vanilla Sky if I had no clue there was an original.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 pm
ram1312 wrote:
I'm curious the order in which you guys viewed these movies.

What I mean is, did you watch the original first and then the remake? Or was it the other way around?

For me, I saw the original first, was blown away by it...then watched the remake, knew the story...and was less than impressed by the "retelling".

I don't know if I'm making sense. Watching the original lessened the impact of the remake for me. I'm pretty sure I might have enjoyed Vanilla Sky if I had no clue there was an original.

I usually try my best-est to see the original first. In this case, I saw Vanilla Sky before Abre Los Ojos but still preferred the original.

You make a great point though. Imagine someone loved the remake and then looked at the original. How would they feel?

I wonder if Pedro would feel the same way about Infernal Affairs if he saw it before The Departed. However, his reasons for preferring the remake are sound, so I suppose he might think the same. We'll never know though.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:14 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I wonder if Pedro would feel the same way about Infernal Affairs if he saw it before The Departed. However, his reasons for preferring the remake are sound, so I suppose he might think the same. We'll never know though.

I was going to mention those movies there. I have not seen Infernal Affairs and love The Departed. Some day here I'm gonna take my curiousity for a ride.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:57 pm
Critic

The order is indeed incredibly important. Whenever people list remakes they prefer, or movies they prefer to the book, I always ask which they saw first. The truly impressive feat is to see/read the original first, then see a remake or adaptation, and prefer the new version.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:03 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
The order is indeed incredibly important. Whenever people list remakes they prefer, or movies they prefer to the book, I always ask which they saw first. The truly impressive feat is to see/read the original first, then see a remake or adaptation, and prefer the new version.

The first time I did this was watching Yojimbo before watching Last Man Standing. Originally, I liked the latter film more than the first, but with age I've come to know better.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:18 pm