Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:17 am

Newspaper Movies 
Post Newspaper Movies
I recently read a piece in the NYTimes about "Newspaper Movies". Since the newspaper is dying, let's show it some love and discuss our favourite newspaper pictures.

Mine is All the President's Men which stars Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman as the journalists Woodward and Bernstein who were responsible for exposing the Watergate scandal.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:18 am
Director

Post Re: Newspaper Movies
When I saw the title of this thread All the President's Men immediately came to mind. Fantastic film, definitely the best concerning the newspaper industry. The most recent "newspaper film" to come out was State of Play which was merely good but not great.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
I don't know if it's a newspaper movie per se, but Citizen Kane was an alright show.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:30 pm
Shattered Glass. The only film I've seen where Hayden Christensen is actually good and Peter Sarsgaard is great in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA4N9ex56jA

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:02 pm
Director

An unfortunately now obscure pre-Code, Five Star Final, starring Edward G. Robinson as the editor of a tabloid who, under circulation pressure, decides to do a 20th anniversary followup on a sensational murder case where a girl who was pregnant by her boss shot and killed him, but got off because she was pregnant. Unfortunately, the story breaks just as the girl's daughter is about to get married. Things don't turn out well. Boris Karloff plays an investigative reporter named Isopod who pretends to be the minister for the wedding. It is the absolute slimiest character I ever saw him play. He sets some sort of standard of hypocrisy. It was nominated for Best Picture in 1932 and probably couldn't have been made two years later.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:05 pm
Assistant Director

DunkinDan89 wrote:
When I saw the title of this thread All the President's Men immediately came to mind. Fantastic film, definitely the best concerning the newspaper industry. The most recent "newspaper film" to come out was State of Play which was merely good but not great.

Along with AtPM, "The Paper" came to mind. I remember it being O.K., nothing groundbreaking, other than Michael Keaton slapping Glenn Close around.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:24 am
Shock Corridor took place in a mental hospital, but I suppose the argument could be made that it is a newspaper movie. The only question is, how many people actually like it.

DunkinDan89 wrote:

Did you get a vibe that some scenes from State of Play were inspired by All the President's Men? I certainly did.

ram1312 wrote:
I don't know if it's a newspaper movie per se, but Citizen Kane was an alright show.

I'm not sure that Citizen Kane fits neatly into any genre, but calling it a newspaper movie isn't wrong.

Syd Henderson wrote:
An unfortunately now obscure pre-Code, Five Star Final, starring Edward G. Robinson as the editor of a tabloid who, under circulation pressure, decides to do a 20th anniversary followup on a sensational murder case where a girl who was pregnant by her boss shot and killed him, but got off because she was pregnant. Unfortunately, the story breaks just as the girl's daughter is about to get married. Things don't turn out well. Boris Karloff plays an investigative reporter named Isopod who pretends to be the minister for the wedding. It is the absolute slimiest character I ever saw him play. He sets some sort of standard of hypocrisy. It was nominated for Best Picture in 1932 and probably couldn't have been made two years later.

I'm sold. Hopefully it'll play on my crappy TCM someday.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:12 am
Not really a newspaper movie, but L.A. Confidential had a sleazy tabloid publisher played by Danny DeVito who really figures into the plot. I love that movie. "Off the record, on the Q.T., and very Hush-Hush".

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:03 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:

It's been on a few times, so you have a pretty good chance. They show it sometimes during Oscar season or if they're having an Edward G. Robinson night. Some of the actors in it are still using silent mannerisms, but it's one of Robinson's best roles.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:59 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

It's been on a few times, so you have a pretty good chance. They show it sometimes during Oscar season or if they're having an Edward G. Robinson night. Some of the actors in it are still using silent mannerisms, but it's one of Robinson's best roles.

Emphasis on my TCM. I'm not in the US, so I get the Latin American feed. No silent movies, everything in pan & scan and crappy television series throughout the day. They started showing the occasional foreign film last year. Without subtitles.

Still, thanks for mentioning it. Sounds like a good one.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:11 pm
Missed this topic, but here's 2 older ones that come to mind:

It Happened One Night - I saw this fairly recently and its really good. Its the definitive romantic comedy, but Clark Gable's character is a journalist.

Ace in the Hole - This is the one. Billy Wilder does what he does best. Writes an incredible movie and absolutely skewers the media. See this one. Its great.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:43 am
Not a movie, but the 5th season of the Wire was a fantastic depiction of the newspaper industry and the current troubles it's facing.

Mon May 03, 2010 9:51 pm
The Insider? I mean it doesn't deal mainly with newspapers but that does play a part in things.

Mon May 03, 2010 9:55 pm
Zodiac was very good. Also, not specifically a newspaper movie, but good nonetheless.

Absence of Malice, His Girl Friday, It Happened One Night, Ace in the Hole, Sweet Smell of Success, and, of course, Superman! These are some of my fave newspaper-movies. Or at least, movies in which newspapers play an important, if not crucial role.

Tue May 04, 2010 4:13 am