Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:35 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Best "Awesomely Bad" Movies 
Post Re: Best "Awesomely Bad" Movies
Three Patrick Swayze Movies immediately come to mind for me...

Red Dawn
Point Break
RoadHouse...

All pretty much ridiculous movies but once you start watching them you cant't stop till it's over...I mean come on...High School Kids defeating the Russian Army..Surfing FBI Agents...and a Bar Bouncer that is known nationwide for being a tough hombre.....only in Hollywood!!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:01 pm
TunaFanForever wrote:
Carlito's Way-for the majority of the movie, you just had NO idea what was going on. It was as if the script, director, and the actors were either sleepwalking or just going through the motions. However-the last 30 minutes REALLY kicked the movie into high gear and made it a very entertaining one.

Seriously don't get where you're coming from with this. The ending is great, but the rest is very good also. I suppose there is an "Awesomely Bad" moment in there though in the guise of Viggo Mortensen. "...I can't walk, I can't hump..." Classic.

I was at a friend's place with a group of mates a couple of years back and we didn't know what to watch. We started with The Matrix but then someone got out a copy of The Myth, with Jackie Chan. It was a great experience. It wasn't that bad but we spent the entire time just ripping into it, it was awesome. One of the very few times where I've enjoyed a film without really concentrating on the plot.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:58 pm
derangedperson wrote:
JamesBond007 wrote:

That movie's not awesomely bad. It's just BAD.

As I say, I'm somewhat masochistic.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:53 pm
I have to agree with Road House. Such a wonderful movie.

The evil capitalist. The world famous bouncer. Sam Elliot. Any movie with Sam Elliot is automatically awesome. And monster trucks. You just know the producers thought: "This movie has everything....except a monster truck! Brilliant!"

Creeping Terror ain't no slouch, either.

Peace.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:25 pm
Oh, man. How could I forget about Redline? This is the most awesome bad movie ever. The cars, the acting, the crazed villain, Tim Matheson (!), etc... The list goes on. So much fun in this movie. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor...

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:59 pm
I love the French series of Taxi movies...ever since I lived in Holland and saw the first one on Canal+ I was hooked...

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:28 pm
Colin wrote:
I love the French series of Taxi movies...ever since I lived in Holland and saw the first one on Canal+ I was hooked...

Just hasn't been the same since we lost Latka, :(.

;).

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:59 pm
Exorcist II: The Heretic. Entertaining and unintentionally funny, with some of the oddest nonsensical plot elements I've seen in a film.

A particularly memorable part:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
James Earl Jones in cheesy locust suit. Not looking too happy about it, either.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:40 am
I can't believe I forgot about these classics.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:55 am
Brian wrote:
Riki-Oh (The Story Of Riki) - Remember when Craig Kilborn hosted The Daily Show and before his "Five Questions" they showed a clip of a head being smashed by two fists in a funny, over the top way? That's from this movie. A karate master Riki-oh is incarcerated at a prison run by corrupt officials, and he has to get out! Over the top Kung Fu and gore ensue, and I have to say one thing that makes the film so funny is that it takes itself to seriously. Even when, with no explanation whatsoever, the head jail warden turns into a monster.

OMG, someone else has seen The Story of Ricky! That is certainly one of the best awesomely bad movies, although my memory of the single viewing of this film is blurred due to the use of recreational herbs at the time. If you are of a sound mind, though, do not watch this film. If I remember correctly, the hero chops a dog in half with his bare hands and isn't even called Ricky but Lee Wong or so.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:23 am
Freeze Gopher wrote:
Three Patrick Swayze Movies immediately come to mind for me...

Red Dawn
Point Break
RoadHouse...

All pretty much ridiculous movies but once you start watching them you cant't stop till it's over...I mean come on...High School Kids defeating the Russian Army..Surfing FBI Agents...and a Bar Bouncer that is known nationwide for being a tough hombre.....only in Hollywood!!

Priceless. Doesn't PS supposedly have have a degree in philosophy in Road House? I suddenly need to watch this again.

Also, I'd also like to add my awesomely bad nominee: Showgirls. This movie is hysterical.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:00 pm
Unke wrote:
Brian wrote:
Riki-Oh (The Story Of Riki) - Remember when Craig Kilborn hosted The Daily Show and before his "Five Questions" they showed a clip of a head being smashed by two fists in a funny, over the top way? That's from this movie. A karate master Riki-oh is incarcerated at a prison run by corrupt officials, and he has to get out! Over the top Kung Fu and gore ensue, and I have to say one thing that makes the film so funny is that it takes itself to seriously. Even when, with no explanation whatsoever, the head jail warden turns into a monster.

OMG, someone else has seen The Story of Ricky! That is certainly one of the best awesomely bad movies, although my memory of the single viewing of this film is blurred due to the use of recreational herbs at the time. If you are of a sound mind, though, do not watch this film. If I remember correctly, the hero chops a dog in half with his bare hands and isn't even called Ricky but Lee Wong or so.

I saw this movie last night! :shock:
My opinion is this: The acting is a pirce of shit. Calling the plot a skeleton is an insult to bone itself. The music makes the soundtracks of Rocky movies sound restrained. This is the worst movie I have ever seen.

...But it has Riki disemboweling a guy with his FISTS! And one guy CUTS OPEN HIS STOMACH AND TRIES TO STRANGLE RIKI WITH HIS GUTS! And in the end Riki FALCON PUNCHES A WALL!

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:59 pm
Director

El Duderino wrote:
I highly recommend Batman '66, the one with Adam West and Burt Ward. For most of the movie you think they're in on the joke, but you're always left with that faint feeling that perhaps they're not. It's absolutely hilarious.

I believe everyone was serious on that movie.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:31 pm
Profile YIM
Assistant Second Unit Director

My most recent guilty pleasure "good trash" film is Taken. Proof that Liam Neeson's charisma can somehow manage to bring some level of respectability to just about anything, no matter how preposterous be the screenplay.

Road House is another classic example of trash done right.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:20 pm
Director

Under Seige 2: Dark Territory

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:14 pm
Profile YIM
Assistant Second Unit Director

corpen11 wrote:

I forgot about that one! I love the line "Is he dead? Don't assume. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups!"

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:26 pm
Director

Tronam wrote:
corpen11 wrote:

I forgot about that one! I love the line "Is he dead? Don't assume. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups!"

This film has a hilarious death scene.

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:15 am
Profile YIM
Director

munroe wrote:
I just watched Machine Girl last night, and I was on the floor laughing. The whole movie was just a riot, from the acting, to the dialogue, to the rubber machine gun that bends when she goes into a role.

And the whole lesbian undertones near the end with the mother were hilarious. And the gore! Monty Python fountains from everything.

And the Special effects look like they were done on a Windows 95 machine.

I had a lot of fun at that movie. I find the "flying guillotine" a bit bewildering; how on earth would you manage to hit the target with that sort of thing? It's like trying to kill someone with one of those claw devices you use to pick up toys at a carnival.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:59 pm
I have seen both Manos: The Hands of Fate and Troll 2 courtesy of the MST3K/Rifftrax guys. Bless their generous hearts.

I've gone on record saying that I don't believe I could rightly call any movie "bad" if I enjoy it enough. But I will acknowledge that there are plenty of movies out there that are so cheesy and silly that I can understand calling them "bad," for lack of a simpler descriptor.

Having said that, my number one pick is Street Fighter: The Movie. You know, the one with Van Damme and Raul Julia. Much like the 1960s Batman franchise, I consider this less an exercise in adaptation and more an exercise in satire, pop art, and absurdity. It's a glorious (and perhaps unintentional) send-up of all things macho in the late '80s/early '90s.

Just check out this scene from the turning point in the third act:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMV2hnlcmgU

Is that not a perfect reduction of the cliche "inspirational speech" scene that has popped up in countless action movies?

(And I apologize for the fake subtitles. While I appreciate the spirit in which they were applied, they add an unnecessary layer of super-obviousness to the comedy that was obvious enough in the first place.)

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:34 pm
Director

Killer Klowns From Outer Space is obvious.

Escape From LA. It doesn't get much dumber than Kurt Russell and Pam Grier swooping down on Disneyland in hang gliders. But it also doesn't get much more fun.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:15 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next