Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Best "Awesomely Bad" Movies 
Post Re: Best "Awesomely Bad" Movies
Robert Holloway wrote:
I know that I'm opening myself up to ridicule here, but here goes.....

I actually think that Plan 9 is not a bad film. It was created by someone who genuinely cared and was trying his best.

I've seen it several times and really enjoy it. I knew of Ed Wood long before Tim Burton got hold of him. there is a charm and innocence to this movie that somehow makes it really watchable.

It's become fashionable to rag on Ed Wood and his movies. However, they were never boring! The ultimate movie making sin.

My 2c
Rob

Rob, you kidding me? The Plan from Plan 9 was how to bore movie audiences half-to-death. It's not even that bad! It's just ungodly-boring.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:52 pm
Patrick wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
I know that I'm opening myself up to ridicule here, but here goes.....

I actually think that Plan 9 is not a bad film. It was created by someone who genuinely cared and was trying his best.

I've seen it several times and really enjoy it. I knew of Ed Wood long before Tim Burton got hold of him. there is a charm and innocence to this movie that somehow makes it really watchable.

It's become fashionable to rag on Ed Wood and his movies. However, they were never boring! The ultimate movie making sin.

My 2c
Rob

Rob, you kidding me? The Plan from Plan 9 was how to bore movie audiences half-to-death. It's not even that bad! It's just ungodly-boring.

Patrick,

I have seen this film multiple times and I actually really do like it. My first exposure was on 16mm film at college in a double feature with The Black Scorpion. I own several of the directors films on DVD including Glen or Glenda.

I read a book that covered Ed Wood and also saw a documentary on him and a few others like him. Then of course there was the Tim Burton movie.

I think I identify with him in some strange way. If you've ever started your own company, tried to get funding and survive on nothing....

I am not saying it's a masterpiece. However, I think there is a certain magic within those reels that is plain missing from many films today.

I know you'll be scratching your head at this reply. I love movies for many reasons and this is one that I'm always happy to watch.

One day it will be a Criterion Blu Ray. You read it here first!

Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:32 pm
Well I will say that the plot wasn't inherently bad.Compare the plot to my suggestion and it's practically Orwell.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:36 pm
Dude, Where's My Car?

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:38 pm
I doubt any of you have even heard of it, but when my wife and I were in Hawaii for a wedding (not ours) we turned on the TV and caught part of a movie called Hard Ticket to Hawaii. When we got back to the mainland we instantly ordered it from Amazon and watched the whole thing. So poorly made, such a terrible movie, but so much fun to watch! The best line: "I do my best thinking in the hot tub." In context, and the hot tub scene, make the line the funniest. Check it out. You won't be disappointed. Well, maybe you will. But it won't feel like a waste of time.

And Patrick, since I feel I've gotten to know you fairly well these past few weeks, you might like it. There's plenty of female nudity. Plenty.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:46 am
Jingle All The Way-this Arnie/Sinbad Christmas comedy was garbage-however, I won't lie to you and say I really, really, really laughed by arse off the entire movie.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:22 am
Here goes...

Ax'em--by far the most awsesomely bad movie that I have ever seen.

The Dirt Bike Kid, The Skateboard Kid (1 and 2), Rad, Thrashin, Masters of the Universe, The Little Marines, Monster Squad, The Wizard--All of these movies I adored when I was a kid but now having watched them recently, (you can find most of them on youtube), they are absolutely horrible, but still awesome at the same time.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:19 am
Here's 2 more-

Flashdance...non-existent plot, poor to no character developments, shallow acting(Jennifer Beals has NO depth, and she's a YALE graduate to boot!), and really nothing more than piecing together a bunch of square pegs in round holes. However-the soundtrack somehow SAVED the movie into being a pretty good one. It's one of those movies if you're feeling lonely either at night or sometime during the weekend, it will make a connection with you.

Carlito's Way-for the majority of the movie, you just had NO idea what was going on. It was as if the script, director, and the actors were either sleepwalking or just going through the motions. However-the last 30 minutes REALLY kicked the movie into high gear and made it a very entertaining one.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:25 am
Lets not forget about The Leprechaun series. Sheer genius.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:09 am
Oh wait, last but not least we have Critters!!! Wait, I no I'm going to think of some more in a minute.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:09 am
I just watched Machine Girl last night, and I was on the floor laughing. The whole movie was just a riot, from the acting, to the dialogue, to the rubber machine gun that bends when she goes into a role.

And the whole lesbian undertones near the end with the mother were hilarious. And the gore! Monty Python fountains from everything.

And the Special effects look like they were done on a Windows 95 machine.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:27 am

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:31 am
There's a difference between "Awesomely Bad", and....Batman and Robin. A huge difference. :cry:

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:42 am
Star_Ocean wrote:
There's a difference between "Awesomely Bad", and....Batman and Robin. A huge difference. :cry:

Ah I get a masochistic kick out of it.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:46 am
Those stupid Russian Nightwatch films might fall into this category.

Last edited by Vic on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:50 am
'If we find it, and it's real, it could mean alot. It could mean actual advances in the field of science."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe9Fs10IIk0&fmt=18

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:17 pm
mailedbypostman wrote:
'If we find it, and it's real, it could mean alot. It could mean actual advances in the field of science."

:lol:.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:29 pm
JamesBond007 wrote:
mailedbypostman wrote:

:lol:.

"Aliens, is this one of your EARTH jokes?" :P

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:36 pm
Brian wrote:
Manos: The Hands of Fate - Some of you probably may have noticed my avatar - that is indeed Torgo from Manos. Everything is great here: The whole movie was redubbed by only three people, the camera could only film 30 seconds at once, the bad acting, and the general incomprehensiveness of the plot (including the couple making out in the car subplot that's inexplicably disconnected).

I've only ever seen the MST3Ked rendtition of this movie, which is indeed awesome. Without the snarky commentary, though, I suspect it would fall back from awesomely bad to just plain old terrible.

My nomination for best awesomely bad movie: Road House.

"Pain don't hurt."

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:19 pm
JamesBond007 wrote:

That movie's not awesomely bad. It's just BAD.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:40 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next