Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:07 am

Best "Awesomely Bad" Movies 
Post Best "Awesomely Bad" Movies
There was a thread on the worst films of all time, now how about the so-bad-it's-good movies? Honestly, I love them to death, and I would be lying if I said I didn't make this thread to see some "recommendations."

Some of my favorites:
Manos: The Hands of Fate - Some of you probably may have noticed my avatar - that is indeed Torgo from Manos. Everything is great here: The whole movie was redubbed by only three people, the camera could only film 30 seconds at once, the bad acting, and the general incomprehensiveness of the plot (including the couple making out in the car subplot that's inexplicably disconnected.

Plan 9 From Outer Space - You know this one. The most obvious garabge can lid space crafts I've ever seen, and I love the cop pointing the gun the wrong way.

Shark Attack 3 - I give the film a lot credit: they knew it would be a better idea to have stock footage of a shark than use a low budget CGI one... most of the time. Whenever this shark (6 stories long) eats an entire boat or swallow humans, it looks so awesomely fake. Also, little things make the movie magical, for example the lead scientist takes a picture of the shark tooth and a clean white imagine of the tooth automatically loads onto his computer - no wait period, or his hand holding it or the background are in the picture.

Riki-Oh (The Story Of Riki) - Remember when Craig Kilborn hosted The Daily Show and before his "Five Questions" they showed a clip of a head being smashed by two fists in a funny, over the top way? That's from this movie. A karate master Riki-oh is incarcerated at a prison run by corrupt officials, and he has to get out! Over the top Kung Fu and gore ensue, and I have to say one thing that makes the film so funny is that it takes itself to seriously. Even when, with no explanation whatsoever, the head jail warden turns into a monster.

Of course there's more great ones: Glen or Glenda, Anaconda 3... but I'm sick of writing

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:25 pm
Post Re: Best "Awesomely Bad" Movies
Ali G Indahouse. Hands down. It's so purposely bad it's hilarious if you're in the right frame of mind.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:29 pm
Troll 2 is beyond terrible, it's oddly entertaining. The amount of quotable lines are akin to Monty Python in that there are so many of them.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:34 pm
Nilbog..... it's Goblin backwards!!!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:38 pm
There are loads in this category. Any Steven Seagal, Dolph Lundgren or Jean Claude Van Damme flick, the Biggles time travel film, Highlander, Natural Born Killers, the list goes on and on.

The worst part about this is that I own a few films by all the artistes (for want of a better word) and films mentioned...

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:39 pm
The Marine
Hercules in New York
Road House
Johnny Mnemonic

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:13 pm
Hercules in New York is the world champ in this category.

Also:
Attack of the Clones
The Scorpion King
Snakes on a Plane - This one is kind of cheating, because awesomely bad is what they were going for--and that takes away some of the charm. Like how William Shatner's "Rocket Man" wouldn't be as funny if he knew he was being ridiculous.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:20 pm
estefan wrote:
Troll 2 is beyond terrible, it's oddly entertaining. The amount of quotable lines are akin to Monty Python in that there are so many of them.

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! :lol:

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:55 pm
I highly recommend Batman '66, the one with Adam West and Burt Ward. For most of the movie you think they're in on the joke, but you're always left with that faint feeling that perhaps they're not. It's absolutely hilarious.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:09 pm
I've never really seen a bad movie that I really enjoyed. Detour was a spectacularly awfully made movie that has a cult following that strikes me as odd.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:14 pm
Ernest: Scared Silly

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:24 pm
Dead Alive, Blair Witch Project 2 Book of Shadows

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:54 pm
Under Siege 2
The Quest
Mortal Combat
Eurotrip

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:01 pm
El Duderino wrote:
I highly recommend Batman '66, the one with Adam West and Burt Ward. For most of the movie you think they're in on the joke, but you're always left with that faint feeling that perhaps they're not. It's absolutely hilarious.

I'm certain Burt Ward was not in on the joke. Adam West... is harder to tell. But I know the writers were in the joke, and I consider them geniuses. I love that movie without considering it awesomely bad. Also, I loved the TV show.

My favorite exchange ever from the tv show:
Robin [as Catburglars are escaping out a window]: "You won't get away from Batman that easy."
Batman: "'Easily,' Robin. Good grammar is essential. Now let's nab those Catburglars."

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:15 pm
Bones wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

I'm certain Burt Ward was not in on the joke. Adam West... is harder to tell. But I know the writers were in the joke, and I consider them geniuses. I love that movie without considering it awesomely bad. Also, I loved the TV show.

Robin [as Catburglars are escaping out a window]: "You won't get away from Batman that easy."
Batman: "'Easily,' Robin. Good grammar is essential. Now let's nab those Catburglars."

I'm sure you're right, as outlandish as some of that dialogue is, the writers had to know what they were doing. And Adam West's delivery was Shatner-esque before Shatner did it. One of my favorite back-and-forths from the movie:

Batman: [reading a riddle] What has yellow skin and writes?
Robin: A ball-point banana!
Batman: [reads the second riddle] What people are always in a hurry?
Robin: Rushing people... Russians!
Batman: So this means...
Robin: Someone Russian is going to slip on a banana and break their neck!
Batman: Precisely, Robin!

and of course...

Batman: Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:27 pm
El Duderino wrote:
Bones wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

I'm sure you're right, as outlandish as some of that dialogue is, the writers had to know what they were doing. And Adam West's delivery was Shatner-esque before Shatner did it. One of my favorite back-and-forths from the movie:

Batman: [reading a riddle] What has yellow skin and writes?
Robin: A ball-point banana!
Batman: [reads the second riddle] What people are always in a hurry?
Robin: Rushing people... Russians!
Batman: So this means...
Robin: Someone Russian is going to slip on a banana and break their neck!
Batman: Precisely, Robin!

and of course...

Batman: Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!

This Batman discussion needs this critical line of dialogue:

It happened at sea....C for Catwoman!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:31 pm
Patrick wrote:
It happened at sea....C for Catwoman!

And an exploding shark was pulling my leg . . . the Joker!

OK, I could go on forever; need to stop. Clearly this could have it's own thread. If anyone loves campy movies, this should be #1 on the list to see.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:39 pm
Speed 2. The last 45 minutes may be the best unintentional comedy I've ever seen put to film.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:45 pm
The TV movie "Cyber Seduction:His secret life". If you think Reefer Madness was the best hilariously bad piece of propaganda that inadvertently subverts the point it was trying to make, you haven't seen nothing yet. It's not the cringe worthy type of cheesy explotation movie either, this is literally an excellent comedy and a great stress reliever.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:48 pm
I know that I'm opening myself up to ridicule here, but here goes.....

I actually think that Plan 9 is not a bad film. It was created by someone who genuinely cared and was trying his best.

I've seen it several times and really enjoy it. I knew of Ed Wood long before Tim Burton got hold of him. there is a charm and innocence to this movie that somehow makes it really watchable.

It's become fashionable to rag on Ed Wood and his movies. However, they were never boring! The ultimate movie making sin.

My 2c
Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:50 pm