Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Define your film taste in 10 films or less.... 
Post Re: Define your film taste in 10 films or less....
Oh yeah, that was definitely a great scene, Max von Sydow was great as usual. Did get me teary-eyed.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:02 am
Director

FIVE everyone must see:

Passion of Joan of Arc
Rashomon
Taxi Driver
400 Blows
Vertigo

FIVE that I want others to see and love like I do:

A Matter of Life and Death
Miracle of Morgan's Creek
Bridge on the River Kwai
Out of the Past
Jaws

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:14 pm
When I saw this thread title I thought it was an awesome idea and I have been thinking about this for quite a while now. But then I realized that the original poster was not asking what I thought he was. So, first, to answer the question:
5 everyone should see:
Annie Hall
Blade Runner
Singin' in the Rain
Before Sunrise
La Dolce Vita

Ones I want others to love as much as I do:
Logan's Run
Superbad
Waking Life
My Neighbor Totoro
Lost in Translation

Some of those seem interchangeable, so I donno if I divided it as well as I could. Anyway, what I really thought this thread was about is boiling your specific tastes down to a certain number of movies which can represent you accurately and concisely.
In service of that goal I listed all of the aspects I love in movies (not in any order):
1. Film noir
2. thought-provoking sci-fi
3. musicals
4. self-reflexivity
5. improvised comedy
6. genuine emotional impact
7. cyberpunk
8. camp
9. dystopias
10. anime
11. films which consist of vignettes
12. films which take place during one crazy night
13. brilliant camerawork/long takes
14. epics
and tried to pick as few movies as I could which could encompass all of these things. What I came up with was:
Blade Runner (1,2)
Singin' in the Rain (3,4)
Swingers (5,6)
Logan's Run (8,9)
Ghost in the Shell (10,7)
La Dolce Vita (11,12)
The Thin Red Line (13,14)

There were plenty of other films that I could work in and form different (maybe better) combinations with, but this seemed like the most succinct way.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:51 pm
Trevor wrote:
When I saw this thread title I thought it was an awesome idea and I have been thinking about this for quite a while now. But then I realized that the original poster was not asking what I thought he was. So, first, to answer the question:

Trevor,
Great picks all around, and I appreciate the interest this thread has garnered and your thought behind your posting. I guess what I was looking for was each members five films they feel every movie lover needs to see(because they are true classics, are important for some reason, are powerful, etc) and then five films that that they love, unabashedly and wish others shared that love for them as well(in other words, movies they are quick to recommend, but maybe only to discerning people, hoping beyond hope that after viewing them, that person will understand their love for the film). I don't know if that clears anything up, I hope so.

Joe

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:43 pm
Five Must See:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Halloween (1978)
3. Inglourious Basterds
4. The Wizard of Oz
5. Pan's Labyrinth

Five I Love:

1. Atonement
2. Adventureland
3. Harry Potter 5 or 6
4. Slumdog Millionaire
5. The Matrix

Sorry for my lack of older movies, but I'm not well versed in those quite yet. I'll get there eventually.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:42 pm
Five movies everyone should see:

1. Goodfellas
2. The Bridge on the River Kwai
3. Saving Private Ryan
4. City of God
5. The Silence of the Lambs

FIVE that I want others to see and love like I do:

1. Traffic
2. The Thin Red Line
3. Il Postino
4. Rushmore
5. Crash (2005)

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:26 am
Blace wrote:
Sorry for my lack of older movies, but I'm not well versed in those quite yet. I'll get there eventually.

Aren't you going to start studying film, Blace? I'd advise checking out a few of the classics on your own before you're force-fed in a classroom.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:06 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Blace wrote:

Aren't you going to start studying film, Blace? I'd advise checking out a few of the classics on your own before you're force-fed in a classroom.

Although figuring out which films are classics and which aren't is tricky stuff indeed.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Blace wrote:

I am, and I do plan to, but I have a hard enough time keeping up with new releases. Once things slow down I'll be able to get some more older movies under my belt. I've seen more than most of my friends have, though. Mainly older horror movies.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:13 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
Blace wrote:

Although figuring out which films are classics and which aren't is tricky stuff indeed.

Tee-hee, that made me giggle. Well played, Peter, well played.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:38 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

*giggle*

Blace wrote:

I've decided that you shouldn't apologize for that.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:29 pm
My top 10 based upon my humble impression that they fit together like a puzze box and that I genuinely love them:

Once Upon A Time In The West
12 Angry Men
The Deer Hunter
Taxi Driver
Das Boot
Goodfellas
The Godfather (1)
The Silence of the Lambs
Vertigo
Memento

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:27 pm
Pedro wrote:
Blace wrote:

I've decided that you shouldn't apologize for that.

Haha, well in that case...

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:41 pm
I'm surprised how many people in film majors haven't seen the older classics. I'm taking a class this semester where the professor asked who hadn't seen Chinatown or Blade Runner, both of which really aren't that old, and about 75% of the class raised their hands. :roll:

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:43 pm
Boy, this sure is tough to narrow down, I could more easily do 10/10. Anyway, rules are rules...

5 Must-sees--

Memento - classic status in my book, what a brilliant film with a fantastic performance from, well, everyone, but the underrated Guy Pearce stands out as well as Joe Pantalino. Wasn't sure to put this on or Pulp Fiction, since I wanted at least one film that challenges convention, but Memento wins.

Casablanca - I watched this again recently since I had been watching many older films that simply did not age well. I wanted to reassure myself that it was still as good as I remembered, and it was. This is my "classic" classic.

LOTR- A bit biased since I'm an rabid Tolkien fan (I own a third British edition of, LOTR and a first edition Hobbit). Jackson recreated the spirit of the books (if not the exact detail) and finally realized my vision on the screen. Epic.

Godfather 1&2- Brilliant cast throughout. " I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!"

Princess Bride- I had to have one for the heart. One "fun" film deserves to be on here and there aren't many films simply more entertaining than this one. Is there ANYBODY who has never, at least once in their lives, said the immortal words, "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!" Anybody? INCONCEIVABLE!!

This next list is tough, since there are sooo many I want other people to see. To make this list, they have to be relatively "small" films, not seen by too many people, and simply too good to miss. I could have done 10 in each category I chose, but narrowed it down to 5 total. I wanted to include something funny, an ensemble piece, a documentary (or close enough), a thriller/noir, and at least one foreign (language) film. Here they are...

5 that I want others to see and love like I do:

Kind Hearts and Coronets- This is Ealing Studios best effort, and one of the best (if not the best) black comedies ever made. Alec Guinness plays 8 different roles, all brilliantly, and he isn't even the best thing about the movie. The writing is fantastic and the delivery perfect. It also has one of my favorite endings of any film.

Glengarry Glen Ross You would be hard pressed to find another film that has as talented a cast as this one-- Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, Alan Arkin, Jonathan Pryce, a brilliant cameo by Alec Baldwin, and all of them in top form. Match them with a perfect Mamet screenplay and you get cinematic perfection. This is Jack Lemmon's greatest performance, IMO. The scene with Shelly (Lemmon) in the house of the young couple, when he knows they aren't going to buy and they know he knows, but he keeps trying to sell anyway... Lemmon's eyes, just wow.

Touching the Void- Not a "true" documentary, but certainly close enough for my tastes. This is a powerful film, and certainly puts to rest the "no atheists in foxholes" theory. The cinematography is stunning, but the true story, as incredible and unbelievable as it is, is the real star of this film. When watching this one has to wonder just how much they think they would be capable of in similar circumstances.

Bound- I just watched this again recently and was again blown away. A perfect modern noir. The performances are all pitch perfect and the story is seamless, with every twist and turn -many completely unexpected- perfectly logical and true to each character. Another strong performance from Joe Pantolino, some fantastic cinematography (following the "ring" through the telephone line, blood dissolving in the toilet, blood dripping in the white paint... great!), and let us not forget the hot lesbian sex.

Babette's Feast- One of my favorite films in any genre, this is simply a delight. I love food movies, and this is the best of the bunch. There is so much going on in this movie, but the final dinner scene, when the villagers all are transformed by the incredible food and drink, is brilliant. I just love this film.

That's it from me. Soooo many more films could have, and should have, gone on both lists, but I think they give a pretty good representation of my tastes. Wasn't sure if more "classic" films should have gone on the first list, but I think my modern inclusions stand up against anything.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:03 am
I would really like to see some more input to this thread. I have already put a few films on my list because of recommendations from here, it would be nice to gather a few more.

Also, my egotistic soul craves validation for my own list. ;)

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:41 am
Heh, heh. What can I say? That's the forum for you. Sometimes you get a dozen replies and sometimes you wonder if anyone is reading at all. In your case I suppose it has to do with the fact that discussion for this thread more or less petered out. It happens.

But since you clearly put some time and effort into your list, I'll indulge you. I can't argue with your "Must Sees". The first four are among the few films that I gave a perfect score to in my own convoluted rating system. I don't think that The Princess Bride is of the same quality, but I won't deny that it's one of the better examples of the genre. It doesn't hurt that it's extremely quotable too.

I can't comment too much on your other 5, because I've only seen one of them (the wonderful Glengarry Glen Ross). I suppose that's the point though. The second five are films you want to encourage others to see. Kind Hearts and Coronets has always been on my fictional to see list, but I either was not aware or did not care to see the others. While I haven't made anything a priority you have piqued my interest. For instance, I always assumed Bound wasn't much of a movie. Now I intend to check it out, though I'll probably just look out for it on cable.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:32 am
Critic

Touching the Void was a hell of a film

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:39 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Touching the Void was a hell of a film

And that nameless song by Boney M... it's been a long time since I've seen it but remember the melody. Outstanding movie.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:08 pm
Ed, you won't be disappointed in Bound. Don't be fooled by the cover and the lesbian theme, it's a great thriller. Worth seeking out. Let me know what you think of it when you see it!

I plan on posting when I watch one of the films I've found here on other people's lists. I know I would like feedback from my "want other people to see" list.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:02 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next