Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:23 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Movies you wish James would review? 
Author Message
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
Why doesn't JB like Japanese animation?

Also: Fiddler On the Roof
and yes, Infernal Affairs


Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:58 pm
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
CHW wrote:
Why doesn't JB like Japanese animation?

Also: Fiddler On the Roof
and yes, Infernal Affairs


Ta da.

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/f/fiddler.html


Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:00 pm
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
Grave of the Fireflies - It's not a well-known anime flick, and I've heard of JB's disdain for anime. However, it is by the same studio that Hayao Miyazaki did his work in, and it's one of the most powerful films I've ever seen, animated or otherwise.

Ran - For me, this represents the pinnacle of Kurosawa's work as a director. I also feel it's the best adaptation of Shakespeare to film ever (King Lear).

Richard III - On the subject of adapting Shakespeare to film, I'd like to see what JB thinks of this work by Ian McKellen as both director and star.


Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:25 pm
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
1."Floating Weeds" and it's inspiration "A Story of Floating Weeds".
2. "Battleship Potemkin"
3. James Batman :D


Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:30 pm
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
Brief Encounter, The 39 Steps (1935), Great Expectations (1946), Kind Hearts and Coronets, Kes, Don't Look Now, The Red Shoes, If...., The Ladykillers (1955), Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Brighton Rock, Get Carter (1971), The Lavender Hill Mob, Henry V (1944), A Matter of Life and Death, The Long Good Friday, The Servant, Whisky Galore!, Withnail & I, Gregory's Girl, Zulu, Room at the Top, Alfie (1966), Gandhi, The Lady Vanishes (1938), The Italian Job (1969), The Commitments, A Man for All Seasons, Black Narcissus, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Oliver Twist (1948), I'm All Right Jack, Performance, My Beautiful Laundrette, Tom Jones, This Sporting Life, My Left Foot, A Taste of Honey, The Go-Between, The Man in the White Suit, The Ipcress File, Blowup, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Passport to Pimlico, Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Railway Children, The Dam Busters, Hamlet (1948), Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939), A Room with a View, The Day of the Jackal, The Cruel Sea, Billy Liar, Oliver!, Peeping Tom, Far from the Madding Crowd, The Draughtsman's Contract, Distant Voices, Still Lives, Darling, Educating Rita, Genevieve, Women in Love, A Hard Day's Night, Fires Were Started, Hope and Glory, In Which We Serve, Caravaggio, The Belles of St. Trinian's, Life Is Sweet, and The Killing Fields.


Last edited by JamesBond007 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:33 pm
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
JamesBond007 wrote:
He seems to be a fan of Hayao Miyazaki though.


Who wouldn't be? My choice for a review would be "Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy"


Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 pm
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
Waltz with Bashir

or did he? I can't find it.


Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:58 am
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
JamesBond007 wrote:
Brief Encounter, The 39 Steps (1935), Great Expectations (1946), Kind Hearts and Coronets, Kes, Don't Look Now, The Red Shoes, If...., The Ladykillers (1955), Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Brighton Rock, Get Carter (1971), The Lavender Hill Mob, Henry V (1944), A Matter of Life and Death, The Long Good Friday, The Servant, Whisky Galore!, Withnail & I, Gregory's Girl, Zulu, Room at the Top, Alfie (1966), Gandhi, The Lady Vanishes (1938), The Italian Job (1969), The Commitments, A Man for All Seasons, Black Narcissus, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Oliver Twist (1948), I'm All Right Jack, Performance, My Beautiful Laundrette, Tom Jones, This Sporting Life, My Left Foot, A Taste of Honey, The Go-Between, The Man in the White Suit, The Ipcress File, Blowup, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Passport to Pimlico, Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Railway Children, The Dam Busters, Hamlet (1948), Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939), A Room with a View, The Day of the Jackal, The Cruel Sea, Billy Liar, Oliver!, Peeping Tom, Far from the Madding Crowd, The Draughtsman's Contract, Distant Voices, Still Lives, Darling, Educating Rita, Genevieve, Women in Love, A Hard Day's Night, Fires Were Started, Hope and Glory, In Which We Serve, Caravaggio, The Belles of St. Trinian's, Life Is Sweet, The Wicker Man (1973), and The Killing Fields.


Behold.

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/w/wicker_man.html


Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:26 am
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
BrianB wrote:
JamesBond007 wrote:
Brief Encounter, The 39 Steps (1935), Great Expectations (1946), Kind Hearts and Coronets, Kes, Don't Look Now, The Red Shoes, If...., The Ladykillers (1955), Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Brighton Rock, Get Carter (1971), The Lavender Hill Mob, Henry V (1944), A Matter of Life and Death, The Long Good Friday, The Servant, Whisky Galore!, Withnail & I, Gregory's Girl, Zulu, Room at the Top, Alfie (1966), Gandhi, The Lady Vanishes (1938), The Italian Job (1969), The Commitments, A Man for All Seasons, Black Narcissus, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Oliver Twist (1948), I'm All Right Jack, Performance, My Beautiful Laundrette, Tom Jones, This Sporting Life, My Left Foot, A Taste of Honey, The Go-Between, The Man in the White Suit, The Ipcress File, Blowup, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Passport to Pimlico, Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Railway Children, The Dam Busters, Hamlet (1948), Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939), A Room with a View, The Day of the Jackal, The Cruel Sea, Billy Liar, Oliver!, Peeping Tom, Far from the Madding Crowd, The Draughtsman's Contract, Distant Voices, Still Lives, Darling, Educating Rita, Genevieve, Women in Love, A Hard Day's Night, Fires Were Started, Hope and Glory, In Which We Serve, Caravaggio, The Belles of St. Trinian's, Life Is Sweet, The Wicker Man (1973), and The Killing Fields.


Behold.

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/w/wicker_man.html


I stand corrected, :).


Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:33 am
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
While I know in my mind I long for many movies to be reviewed , the most inmediate that comes to my mind is Terry Gilliams , Adventures of Baron Munchausen. I hope someday he could share his thoughts on this movie , which in my humble opinion , is one of the most underrated films of all time.

Regards,
Ederol


Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:30 am
Post 5 Films I want JB to review.
1.Cruising - I would find it interesting to read what James thinks of this once controversial film.
2.Thief - James is not a big fan of Michael Mann or especially Heat so it would be interesting to see what he makes of this blueprint for the 1995 film.
3.To Live and Die in LA - An underrated cult film in my opinion.
4.Less Than Zero - To see how he rates it in comparison to the other adaptations of BEE work.
5.Mysterious Skin - A controversial film that divides a number of people.

What are your opinions of these films and what do you think James would make of them?


Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:49 pm
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
Brick, and Spiral.


Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:15 am
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
State of Grace. With Sean Penn about to collect his second Oscar tonight, I would like to see James review this one that may have been looked upon more kindly had it not appeared the same year as Goodfellas. Besides Penn, it showcases Gary Oldman, Ed Harris and John C Reilly. One of my favorite films that never even comes us in great crime films discussions.


Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:15 pm
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZiti9RhYlw


Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:39 pm
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
full metal jacket, night of the hunter, blood simple, and mean streets.


Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:00 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1350
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
Every film by the following filmmakers:

Stanley Kubrick
Robert Altman
John Cassavetes
Martin Scorsese
Roman Polanski
David Lynch
Tim Burton
Steven Spielberg
George Lucas
Robert Zemeckis
Woody Allen
Lawrence Kasdan
James Cameron
Peter Jackson
David Cronenberg
James L. Brooks
Robert Benton
Richard Lester
Richard Donner
Terrence Malick
Terry Gilliam
Peter Weir
Alan Parker
Ridley Scott
Sidney Lumet
Arthur Penn
Richard Linklater
Todd Solondz
Todd Haynes
Brad Anderson
Wes Anderson
Noah Baumbach
David O. Russell
David Gordon Green
Marc Forster
Darren Aronofsky
Gus Van Sant
Atom Egoyan
Jim Jarmusch
Alan Rudolph
Stephen Frears
Cameron Crowe
Milos Forman
Sam Mendes (where's "Road to Perdition"?)
Barry Levinson
Steven Soderbergh
Francois Truffaut
Jean-Luc Godard (actually, just his '60s films, i.e. his good ones ;) )
Luis Bunuel (his films from "The Young One" on, anyway)
Federico Fellini
Michelangelo Antonioni


Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:55 am
Profile
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Sam Mendes (where's "Road to Perdition"?)


Road to Perdition is at his old site you incredibly demanding person :D

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/r/road_perdition.html


Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:30 am
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
Jesus of Nazareth (1977)


From IMDB:

The eye makeup for 'Robert Powell (I)' consisted of a thin line of dark blue eyeliner on the upper lid of the eye, and a thin line of white eyeliner on the lower lid. This had the effect of highlighting the piercing blue of the actor's eyes, thus giving him a penetrating stare, when combined with very little blinking, made the character appear surreal and supernatural.

Franco Zeffirelli considered both Dustin Hoffman and Al Pacino for the part of Jesus and Robert Powell to play Judas.


Yorgo Voyagis, who plays Joseph (Mary's husband), can be seen speaking in English, but his voice is dubbed by an uncredited actor. Voyagis' real voice can be heard in the Diane Keaton film The Little Drummer Girl (1984). Franco Zeffirelli also used this technique with a few of the actors in his film version of Romeo and Juliet (1968/I).


Banned in Egypt after religious leaders objected to its content.


Rarely during the movie do any of the actors portraying Jesus blink their eyes. Director 'Franco Zeffirelli' decided on this as a means of creating a subconscious visual mystique about the character that not only differentiated him from all other characters, and is eerily effective. The boy Jesus in the Temple blinks twice in the Temple, and the adult Jesus blinks only once on film.


The eye makeup for 'Robert Powell (I)' consisted of a thin line of dark blue eyeliner on the upper lid of the eye, and a thin line of white eyeliner on the lower lid. This had the effect of highlighting the piercing blue of the actor's eyes, thus giving him a penetrating stare, when combined with very little blinking, made the character appear surreal and supernatural.


Peter O'Toole was cast as Judas, but had to back out of the project due to illness.


Factual errors: The movie scripting refers to Pontius Pilate as a "procurator", a specific post that differs from the one that the Gospels imply that he held - prefect or governor. Historically, Pontius Pilate's title was thought to have been procurator but an inscription on a limestone block - apparently a dedication to Tiberius Caesar Augustus - that was discovered in 1961 in the ruins of an amphitheater called Caesarea Maritima refers to Pilate as "prefect of Judeaea". Archaeologists believe it to be genuine. In this instance, the Gospel account is supported by archaeology, since the surviving inscription discovered at Caeserae states that Pilate was prefect and the movie should have followed also as it is based on Gospel accounts.


Anachronisms: Full-immersion baptism, not sprinkling baptism, was in use at the time of Christ.


Continuity: When Jesus visits Jerusalem as a young boy, his family walks past the outer wall and travels past the crucifixion site where Jesus would be killed later in the movie. In this early scene, the crosses and scaffolding have already been set up with the same Roman guards who appear later in the film (set 30 years in the future) already posted by the crucifixion hill.


Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When Jesus' body is taken down off the cross and laid on the floor, one of his eyes blinks slightly.


Anachronisms: The celebration of becoming a Bar Mitzvah, which Jesus is shown participating in, was not developed until medieval times.


Factual errors: The movie scripting refers to Pontius Pilate as a "procurator", a specific post that differs from the one that the Gospels imply that he held - prefect or governor. Historically, Pontius Pilate's title was thought to have been procurator but an inscription on a limestone block - apparently a dedication to Tiberius Caesar Augustus - that was discovered in 1961 in the ruins of an amphitheater called Caesarea Maritima refers to Pilate as "prefect of Judeaea". Archaeologists believe it to be genuine. In this instance, the Gospel account is supported by archaeology, since the surviving inscription discovered at Caeserae states that Pilate was prefect and the movie should have followed also as it is based on Gospel accounts.


Revealing mistakes: Just after Jesus is baptized by John, in one scene it shows him walking up the hill with the lower 1/4 of his clothes still wet from him bowing down in the water. The camera shifts to view John watching Jesus walking away and then comes back to Jesus, but this time his clothes are completely dry!


Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:41 pm
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
The movies of Federico Fellini and Marcello Mastroianni.


Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:36 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr