Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:45 am

Movies you wish James would review? 
Post Re: Movies you wish James would review?
Oh yeah! Misery and Fatal Attraction I would like to see also, thanks Jim.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:10 pm
BrianB wrote:
Boyz N the Hood
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
Terminator 2
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

Regarding the person above who mentioned Dog Day Afternoon, I seem to remember James telling me in an email long ago that he doesn't think it lives up to its reputation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I actually think Boyz N the Hood and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada have already been reviewed, although not ported over to this site (I may be confusing the former with Menace II Society).

For me, I was thrilled to see him review Friday the 13th. Having read reviews or reelthoughts columns referring it, knowing only that he didn't like it, seeing a full review and star rating gave me a better appreciation for the times wherein the film was referred to. Now that Friday's out of the way, Romero's Dead films are next on my wish list.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:30 pm
PR0METHEU5 wrote:
Three words:

Full

Metal

Jacket

Hey Prometheus and welcome to the forum!

Just to make you jealous :-)

I was invited to the premiere in 1987 and saw this in the presence of the director (who muttered a few words to us before the film started) . I described the event in more detail in the thread about best movie moments.

Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:08 pm
Miller's Crossing, one of my favourite Coen Brothers films.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:11 pm
Infernal Affairs (Hong Kong)..from which 'The Departed' was based on..only because James thinks The Departed is the greatest but....

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:29 pm
Another one I thought of: Batman Returns. James mentions in his Dark Knight review that Returns was the best of the Burton/Schumacher batch of films, and even briefly explores what was done better in his review of Batman (1989). An actual review would be greatly appreciated.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:14 am
Dead Poets Society
Stand by me
Audition
Daughter from Danang

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:24 am
PL1 wrote:
Miller's Crossing, one of my favourite Coen Brothers films.

It'd be nice to see Blood Simple reviewed, too. (Which is weird, consider I haven't seen it. I just have a feeling I'd like it.) I also third Misery.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:46 am
The Abyss - every time I watch this movie, I'm in awe.

JFK - I would like to know his thoughts on Stone's views on this conspiracy, as well as all of the performances in this film, especially Costner's.

Spike Lee's Malcolm X biopic

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:45 am
Daredevil (Director's Cut) - Most people I've talked to agree it's superior to the truncated theatrical cut. I wonder if James agrees.

THX 1138 and American Graffiti - Pre-Star Wars George Lucas

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:44 pm
The Graduate, Some Like It Hot, The African Queen, The Grapes of Wrath, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Annie Hall, It Happened One Night, Midnight Cowboy, Double Indemnity, Doctor Zhivago, The Birth of a Nation, A Streetcar Named Desire, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Philadelphia Story, From Here to Eternity, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Sound of Music, MASH, Fantasia, Rebel Without a Cause, Tootsie, Stagecoach, The Manchurian Candidate (1962), An American in Paris, Shane, The French Connection, Ben-Hur, Wuthering Heights (1939), The Gold Rush, American Graffiti, The Deer Hunter, Modern Times, Duck Soup, Mutiny on the Bounty (1935), Easy Rider, The Jazz Singer (1927), A Place in the Sun, The Searchers, Bringing Up Baby, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Just a few off the top of my head, ;).

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:50 pm
JamesBond007 wrote:
The Graduate, Some Like It Hot, The African Queen, The Grapes of Wrath, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Annie Hall, It Happened One Night, Midnight Cowboy, Double Indemnity, Doctor Zhivago, The Birth of a Nation, A Streetcar Named Desire, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Philadelphia Story, From Here to Eternity, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Sound of Music, MASH, Fantasia, Rebel Without a Cause, Tootsie, Stagecoach, The Manchurian Candidate (1962), An American in Paris, Shane, The French Connection, Ben-Hur, Wuthering Heights (1939), The Gold Rush, American Graffiti, The Deer Hunter, Modern Times, Duck Soup, Mutiny on the Bounty (1935), Easy Rider, The Jazz Singer (1927), A Place in the Sun, The Searchers, Bringing Up Baby, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and Yankee Doodle Dandy.

I'm speechless Mr. Bond

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:08 am
Over the years, I remember emailing James asking him what his opinions were of various pre-1993 movies. He responded with just about every one of them.

I would also like to see him review "The Package"-a very underrated, albeit little seen conspiracy thriller starring Gene Hackman/Tommy Lee Jones, and from the director of "The Fugitive"(Andrew Davis).

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:15 am
I tried e-mailing him years ago about reviewing the anime film Akira, not knowing how much disdain he had for japanese animation. That went over well. Actually, in retrospect, I've decided it's not that great of a movie - they condensed a rather large comic series into a two-hour film, and it all seemed so mish-mashed and confusing. Incredible animation quality, though.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:53 am
Freak Talks About Sex. I don't know why, but i've always found this movie very funny, and mildly disturbing. Steve Zahn is hilarious in this flick.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:25 am
There are two movies for which I'd like to read a JB review:

"Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" IIRC it was written and heavily guided by Roger Ebert. I'd be curious how firmly JB would smite this flick.

The other: "Pee Wee's Big Adventure". Tim Burton and Danny Elfman paired for the first of many times to create a quirky movie with no intention of taking itself seriously. The musical and visual atmosphere is meticulously sculpted for every scene. JB's review wouldn't change my love of this movie, but I'm curious what elements he'd find groundbreaking.

I'd also be curious about his take on the evolution of Mel Brooks from his early work through his most current with a full review-anthology of his collected works.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:30 am
sheryl wrote:
Dead Poets Society
Stand by me
Audition
Daughter from Danang

I second Stand by Me.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:54 am
thewatcher wrote:
JamesBond007 wrote:

I'm speechless Mr. Bond

:lol:, I just got 'em off the AFI's Top 100 list.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:27 am
Monty Brogan wrote:
I tried e-mailing him years ago about reviewing the anime film Akira, not knowing how much disdain he had for japanese animation. That went over well. Actually, in retrospect, I've decided it's not that great of a movie - they condensed a rather large comic series into a two-hour film, and it all seemed so mish-mashed and confusing. Incredible animation quality, though.

He seems to be a fan of Hayao Miyazaki though.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:29 am
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:51 pm