Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Your top 5 favorite movie soundtracks 
Post Re: Your top 5 favorite movie soundtracks
Star Wars was definitely the first to come to mind, followed closely by Wall-E. The soundtracks for Cinema Paradiso, Beauty & the Beast and The Producers round out the list (though the last one mostly consists of songs from the Broadway production, so I'm not sure if that counts).

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:44 pm
The Departed one ROCKS also!!!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:04 pm
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind was pretty atmospheric, and I remember being blown away by the movie, in large part due to the audio aspect of it.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:19 pm
Flashdance(it was the soundtrack ALONE that made the movie pretty good-otherwise, without it, the non-existent and sloppy plot would have made it unwatchable)

The Dark Knight

The Abyss

Ocean's 11(the hip songs really struck a chord with me)

The Pelican Brief

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:17 am
The movie that birthed one of the brightest stars in composing:

1. Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Danny Elfman

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark

3. Empire Strike Back

4. Dances With Wolves

5. Jurassic Park

My opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:32 am
Yeah I forgot Danny Elfman too, his Batman score is unforgettable for me.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:32 pm
Blade Runner - I could just listen to the Vangelis soundtrack all day.
High Fidelity - totally agree with previous poster. John Wesley Harding, Stevie Wonder, and Jack Black? All good. Plus the Chemical Brothers and the Kinky Wizards.
The Sting - great Scott Joplin ragtime score. Perfect for the movie.
Untouchables - Ennio Morricone.
The Crow. Awesome compilation.
Ferris Beuller. Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Yello, Big Audio Dynamite, and the Star Wars Theme. And on and on.
Shoot 'em Up. Best AC/DC song in a movie. Ever.
That Thing You Do. I really love the theme song.

Sorry. Top eight.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:36 pm
this is in no order by the way
Jurassic Park-John Williams(the entire score). probably my favorite Williams score

The Lord Of The Rings-Howard Shore(the entire score including the tracks from Enya,Emilíana Torrini and Annie Lennox)

Magnolia-Jon Brion(all) and Aimee Mann(all)

American Beauty-Thomas Newman(all)

21 Grams-Gustavo Santaolalla. a simple yet very effective score in my opinion.

I have more but thats all I can think of for the moment.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:05 am
Anything by Bernard Herrmann

He is simply without peers IMHO. If you like Hitchcock, you like his work
Vertigo
Psycho
North By Northwest
etc.

Then there were a few other minor movies:
Taxi Driver
Cape Fear
Harryhausen's Mysterious Island and others
Journey To The Center of the Earth
The Day The Earth Stood Still

and oh yes....
Citizen Kane

Rob

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:17 am
Robert Holloway wrote:

Vertigo
Psycho
North By Northwest
etc.

Taxi Driver
Cape Fear

and oh yes....
Citizen Kane

Rob

I love his score for Taxi Driver. Really sets the right mood.

If we're talking about compilation soundtracks as opposed to original scores, I think it's The Crow, then all others. I've been listening to the soundtrack for almost 15 years now, and it never gets old.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:24 am
Hey Kratz

I bought the soundtrack to The Crow - I love it!

Rob

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:39 am
1. Requiem For A Dream - Clint Mansell
2. Psycho - Bernard Herrmann
3. Vertigo - Bernard Herrmann
4. Rocky - Bill Conti
5. Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:40 am
8 mile soundtrack by far the best

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm
ET - Either I'm blind or it's strange that no one mentioned it yet. Sure, ET is manipulating emotions at times, but that's what soundtracks do. Especially the beginning and the 15 minute ending are exceptionally great pieces of film music. Watch the movie, then listen to the music, you can practically see the movie again.

The Empire Strikes Back - This is Star Wars with depth. Great new tunes (Imperial March, Yoda's Theme, the love theme), action (Asteroid Field), and dark atmosphere (Carbon Freeze), all wrapped up with one of the best end credits sequences.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Apart from the iconic Raiders March and the lovely Marion's Theme it has the truly spectacular theme for the Ark (just listen to Map Room: Dawn).

Blade Runner - This is one of the few cases where Vangelis' synthetic music actually works. Unfortunately all soundtrack releases aren't originals. The 1982 one has been played by orchestra (what did they think?) and the newer one is by Vangelis, but still not the actual ones from the movie (just compare the end credits).

Rio Lobo - I know, this 1971 John Wayne western is a strange pick, but I just love Jerry Goldsmith's music in this one. The main credits are displayed over the solo guitar that plays the beautiful main theme (when there was neither CD nor DVD of the movie, I skipped roughly 2 hours on a video cassette of my father, just to listen to this song). For the next 20 minutes there is no music at all, which makes it much more powerful, when it sets in again. Practically all the music in the film is a slight variation of the main theme, which is what Goldsmith seems to have liked most, as opposed to the leitmotiv approach.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:15 am
1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly ~ Ennio Morricone
2. The Godfather ~ Nino Rota
3. Schindler's List ~ John Williams
4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ~ Howard Shore
5. Star Trek: The Motion Picture ~ Jerry Goldsmith

Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:26 am
Robert Holloway wrote:

Vertigo
Psycho
North By Northwest
etc.

Taxi Driver
Cape Fear

and oh yes....
Citizen Kane

Rob

Thank you. Oh I forgot, I'm not Bernard Herrmann, he is just my avatar (for a reason though :-) ).

Last edited by Threeperf35 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:43 pm
HomerJ wrote:
Blade Runner - I could just listen to the Vangelis soundtrack all day.
High Fidelity - totally agree with previous poster. John Wesley Harding, Stevie Wonder, and Jack Black? All good. Plus the Chemical Brothers and the Kinky Wizards.
The Sting - great Scott Joplin ragtime score. Perfect for the movie.
Untouchables - Ennio Morricone.
The Crow. Awesome compilation.
Ferris Beuller. Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Yello, Big Audio Dynamite, and the Star Wars Theme. And on and on.
Shoot 'em Up. Best AC/DC song in a movie. Ever.
That Thing You Do. I really love the theme song.

Sorry. Top eight.

Word. And word again. And what an ear for quality sound you have my friend. That soundtrack is such an immersive experience and so integral to the overall success of that piece of art....yeah...I could listen to it all day as well and am convinced that it's about 80% of why I'm popping it into the DVD player once a month for going on a couple years now.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:18 pm
E.T. The Extraterrestrial: Especially the main theme. Pure prefection. A close second is the Rachmaninov-inspired, piano based: "Over the Moon" (also in the End Title). John Williams, what can I say?

Vertigo: just about anything in this soundtrack - even though it suffered from a musician's strike and parts have been recorded in London and Vienna (and composer Herrmann - look left hand side - found some of the music not conducted by him to be sloppily played - source: DVD comment track of the restored version).

(many a Herrmann score is a tie to Vertigo, so I'll leave that out)

Once Upon a Time In the West (Ennio Morricone) - Just beautiful. The three main themes, all belonging to a main character are equally beautiful and haunting - as is the remainder such as the theme used for Morton's dream to build his railroad tracks all the way to the Pacific.

Koyaanisqatsi - Philip Glass' symphonic minimalist score is just perfect and creates the exact mood.

First Blood (you heard me: an 80s action flick!) I am talking about the wonderful talent of Jerry Goldsmith. The man who also created the wondeful flute theme for the first Alien (and the complete opening music for Alien which was eventually scrapped by director Ridley Scott - sure: musicians only exist to provide a track with random noise, to be used at will by the director who thinks he knows shit about music.)

Honorable mention: Alex North for his complex symphonic score for "2001, a Space Oddyssey". Well it didn't make it to the final version and director Stanley Kubrick decided to stay with the temp track (yes: his genius decision to use known 19th century music has a much more complex and sad story behind it than many people would like to believe). Maybe Kubrick made the correct choice, but he didn't have the guts to tell Alex North - so imagine his surprise when he came to the movie's pre-release just to find out that none of his music has been used. I will tell this story as often as I can, so both Mr. Kubrick's lack of guts as well as the general poor esteem for dramatic film scores - through the ages - will be brought to people's attention.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:20 pm
Blade Runner
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Purple Rain
This Is Spinal Tap (oh yes...)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

This is by no means a complete list but these soundtracks are the first ones that came to mind...

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:32 pm
My latest favorite has to be Up. I absolutely love Edward Scissorhands as well.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:05 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next