Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Your top 5 favorite movie soundtracks 
Post Your top 5 favorite movie soundtracks
Hi everyone , I wanted to initiate this thread because I really value how a good OST can elevate the movie experience to another level.

That said, if possible please include the name of the movie/movie saga and track /tracks you love. (and if you know the composer please)

My top 5 in no particular order (although I have way more than those) , are:

1) The Godfather Trillogy ( Waltz , Love Theme , The inmigrant , Marcia Religiosa , Tarantella , Kay) - Nino Rota / Carmine Copolla

2) The Dollars Trillogy (Fistful of Dollars theme , Good Bad Ugly Theme, Ecstasy of Gold , Story of a Soldier, Sixty Seconds to What? , The Trio) - Ennio Morricone

3) Il Mercenario (L'arena -also featured on Kill Bill2- ; Liberta ; Ecstasi ;Ripresa ) - Ennio Morricone

4) Star Wars Saga (all the music ) - John Williams

5) Lion King 1 ( all the music) - Various

And so what are your favorite ones? (James would be nice if you tell us yours also please :D )

Regards,
Eder

Last edited by ederol2 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:02 pm
Post Re: Your top 5 favorite movie soundtracks
The first 5 that come to mind are:

The Deer Hunter (Stanley Myers) (main theme?)

The Incredibles (Michael Giacchino) (all)

Star Wars (John Williams) (all - especially Duel of the Fates)

Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore) (all)

Slumdog Millionaire (A.R. Rahman) (is Jai Ho an original track?)

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:17 pm
ederol2 wrote:
1) The Godfather Trillogy ( Waltz , Love Theme , The inmigrant , Marcia Religiosa , Tarantella , Kay) - Carmine Copolla

2) The Dollars Trillogy (Fistful of Dollars theme , Good Bad Ugly Theme, Ecstasy of Gold , Story of a Soldier, Sixty Seconds to What? , The Trio) - Ennio Morricone

3) Il Mercenario (L'arena -also featured on Kill Bill2- ; Liberta ; Ecstasi ;Ripresa ) - Ennio Morricone

I love these from your list. Nino Rota composed the bulk of the score of The Godfather though, including the Love Theme, correct?

I absolutely love the Morricone music. Berardinelli told me in an email once that he preferred the music from For a Few Dollars More to the music from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I prefer GBU overall, but I do agree that the main theme from Few Dollars More is better, despite the iconic nature of the GBU theme. The Trio and Ecstacy of Gold are two of my favorite pieces from any movie ever. Also right up there is L'arena, which is a brilliant piece of music perfect both for the standoff in The Mercenary and the grave escape in Kill Bill.

Some of my other absolute favorites are:

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - This is cheating, since most of its greatness is as a collection of classical pieces--but it's a great collection and the music is a large part of what makes this one of my favorite movies. Favorite Tracks: The Far Side of the World (essentially a medley of themes and pieces from the film); Prelude from Bach's Cello Suite No. 1; Concerto grosso in G minor, Op.6, No.8 "Christmas Concerto" - Arrangement by Iva Davies, Christopher Gordon & Richard Tognetti - Adagio; and Excerpt from No. 6, Op. 30 - Luigi Boccherini (this is the piece that is used to perfection at the end of the film).

Mary Poppins - "Let's Go Fly a Kite" is so tied to my childhood that I get a little misty everytime I watch the end of this movie. Favorite Tracks: Jolly Holiday, Step in Time, Let's Go Fly a Kite (Richard and Robert Sherman).

Lawrence of Arabia - Not sure of any of the individual tracks, but I consider Maurice Jarre's Overture one of the great pieces of 20th century classical music. As epic as the movie itself.

And a couple recent favorites:

Harry Potter and Order of the Phoenix - I like John Williams' theme well enough, but this movie was the first in the series where I was really wowed by the score. Two scenes in particular--the flight down the river and the Weasley brothers making mischief at the standardized test--are really made by the music. Favorite Tracks: Fireworks, Dumbledore's Army, Professor Umbridge, Flight of the Order of the Phoenix (Nicholas Hooper).

The Dark Knight - I really like most of the tracks on the soundtrack, and they're all available to listen to on Youtube, but in the context of the movie I particularly loved this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBbsQeS53WA. When I saw the movie on IMAX, this was the moment where I knew I was completely sucked in and that I was watching a truly special movie.

I'm sure this question will play at my brain for a while and I'll think of more. Music is one of my favorite parts of the movies and I love the way a gifted filmmaker can use music (and lack of music) to turn a very good movie into great entertainment or art.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:16 pm
ACK!!! I can't believe I forgot my favorite movie.

Rocky - A score that essentially hangs on two tracks, but what two tracks they are! Going the Distance in particular is completely brilliant, and without it there's no way the fight scene works half as well as it does. The moment where Rocky gets knocked down is particularly great, as is the moment he gets back up and Apollo looks on in disbelief. Favorite Tracks: Gonna Fly Now, Going the Distance.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:35 pm
I don't have a clear-cut top 5, even though I have a clear #1:

1) Passion - Music from the Last Temptation of Christ - Peter Gabriel

In no particular order, the other 4:
The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Road to Perdition
The Last of the Mohicans

As you can see, I think Thomas Newman is brilliant.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:37 pm
As someone who enjoys music just as much as film the following five pieces don't just illuminate the films they are in, but are genuinely stirring on there own (which is how I normally encounter them on my iPod).

1. Meet Joe Black - Track 19 - That Next Place - Thomas Newman
2. Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - Track 15 - The Dragon's Heartbeat - Randy Edelman
3. Castaway - Track 10 - End Credits - Alan Silvestri
4. Edward Scissorhands - Track 2 - Storytime - Danny Elfman
5. The Last of the Mohicans - Track 3 - The Kiss - Randy Edelman & Trevor Jones

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:59 pm
1. Glory (specifically Charging Fort Wagner)- James Horner
2. Braveheart- James Horner
3. Dark Knight- Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard
4. The Village- James Newton Howard with the incomparable Hillary Hahn on violin.
5. There Will Be Blood- Johnny Greenwood

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:07 pm
Hmm, very hard to narrow it down! This list is mainly based off soundtracks that I own.

1.) Duck, You Sucker - Ennio Morricone
I'm a big Morricone fan and Duck, You Sucker was a bit interesting for me as I heard the full soundtrack before viewing the film. Luckily, the film didn't disappoint and the images on screen further captivated me. The last slow motion flashback, wow - I wonder how much film Leone burned from that shot alone.

2.) The Red Tent - Ennio Morricone
I think I've grown to like this more than my above choice. Very lyrical and dreamy; with my favorite being the beginning and end (with a little variation) "Love Theme". Also the movie is damn under seen, especially that mysterious Russian cut.

3.) The Right Stuff - Bill Conti
This soundtrack can only be found compiled with another Conti score "North & South" - which is a bit of a shame because it seems some tracks are missing. Such as my favorite track which is played during the test launch with Yeager in the beginning. My other favorite track - Yeager's Flight.

4.) The Draughtsman's Contract - Michael Nyman
Peter Greenaway and Michael Nyman make a fantastic pair. The compositions are beautifully framed - and it's amazing to believe it was shot in 16mm! Nyman's music furthers the experience.

5.) Joe Hisaishi
This one I have to cheat. I honestly can't narrow it down! From Takashi Kitano films: Sonatine, A Scene at the Sea, Kikujiro -- to Hayao Miyazaki's: My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso.

Whew!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:29 pm
I don't really have a top five, but my favorite, and some may laugh, was from The Truman Show. Something about Phillip Glass's score to this one just rocked my socks off. I even bought it on CD, which I rarely do with soundtracks. Had to hunt to find it, too, it wasn't exactly a big seller.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:31 pm
Good question...

In no order, here are some of my faves:

Fight Club - Just remember it setting the mood perfectly

Garden State- Good, chilled out songs.

The Departed- Badass. Especially "Shipping Up To Boston" by The Dropkick Murphys.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:34 pm
Really good topic...my friends and I discuss this all of the time.

Runner Up:The Devil's Rejects. (I know the movie sucks something awful, but the actual soundtrack is good)

5. High Fidelity (Jack Black singing "Let's get it on", you got to love it)
4. The Graduate (How can you not like Simon and Garfunkle)
3. Joe Dirt (this soundtrack is awesome)
2. Boogie Nights (the soundtrack playing during the scene where dirk and friends try to rip off the drug dealer warrants this at # 2 alone!!)
1. Almost Famous (I don't see how this movie isn't on everyone's list in some form or fashion.)

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can top this list if you've heard all of these soundtracks.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:47 pm
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
1. Almost Famous (I don't see how this movie isn't on everyone's list in some form or fashion.)

Absolutely one of the best. If I were to list movies that mostly used popular music from the film's time period, I could make a whole different list that would never end.

Master and Commander is my favorite example. Next probably comes: Almost Famous, Royal Tenenbaums, Amadeus, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Good Will Hunting.

Also, Almost Famous has an original theme, by Nancy Wilson, that plays while William is running through Penny's fingers. That is an amazing original theme. In fact, you're right--not sure how I made a list of 6 movies with the best music and left that one off.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:04 pm
We're talking about film scores, right? In that case:

5. Back to the Future (Alan Silvestri)- great, powerful score with possibly the most iconic non-John Williams theme. Not only that, but it underlines the movie perfectly at all the right moments.
4. Raiders of the Lost Ark (John Williams)- the one of two John Williams scores on my list. Forget Karen Allen, the score in this film takes a supporting lead next to Harrison Ford. Retaining this great music might be the best thing in the utterly lifeless fourth entry.
3. The Dark Knight (Hans Zimmer, James Newton-Howard)- this score gave me absolute chills, and I immediately ran to iTunes and bought it the next morning.
2. Ratatouille (Michael Giacchino)- a fun, vibrant score with a delicious French flavor (yeah, I know, I'm clever ;)), I could listen to this one for days. Probably the most underrated score I've ever heard, aside from maybe a few others.
1. Star Wars (John Williams)- come on, you know it's amazing. It's simply the best. There's not a moment in the score that I don't love.

Honorable Mentions:
Just, just not making the list is two movies, The Shawshank Redemption and WALL-E. Because while Ratatouille is the most underrated score, Thomas Newman is the most underrated composer. Come on Academy, he gets nominated every year, just give him his dang Oscar already!
And one more, which is a obscure and odd choice, but Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow has an excellent score by Edward Shearmur. Too bad the movie tanked and polarized film geeks, and it was left to rot and be unappreciated. And what did Shearmur going on to do next? Epic Movie. :cry:

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:19 pm
5. Star Trek II (Horner)
4. Back to the Future (Silvestri)
3. Apollo 13 (Horner)
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark (Williams)
1. Glory (Horner)

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:24 pm
1. Gettysburg - Randy Edelman. I agree with James on this one.
2. The Sweet Hereafter - Mychael Danna
3. Braveheart - James Horner
4. The Last of the Mohicans - Randy Edelman and Trevor Jones
5. Requiem for a Dream - Clint Mansell

Honorable Mentions:
Glory - James Horner
Unforgiven - Lennie Niehaus

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:27 pm
1) Star Trek II (Horner)

2) The Usual Suspects (Ottman)

3) Dead Man's Shoes (Various)

4) Patton (Goldsmith)

5) From Russia With Love (Barry)

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:31 pm
Bones , I stand corrected. It was Nino Rota the main composer of the soundtrack. And oh yeah Rocky´s Flying High Down is also one of my personal favorites (its inevitable not to think on it when you are near a major examen or working out to lose weight, hehe) .

I cant believe I forgot Raiders, its definitely near among my top favorites.

Regards,
Eder

Last edited by ederol2 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:01 pm
1. The Piano
2. In the Mood for Love
3. The Departed(Gimme Shelter+Nicholson= :twisted: )
4. The English Patient
5. Once

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:05 pm
gouthem wrote:
1. The Piano
2. In the Mood for Love
3. The Departed(Gimme Shelter+Nicholson= :twisted: )
4. The English Patient
5. Once

This.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:06 pm
Anything that Clint Mansell does. 'Death is the road to Awe' gives me the chills everytime...

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:05 pm