Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:27 am

Rate My Top 10 Sci-fi 
Post Re: RATE MY TOP 10 Sci-fi
rishi85 wrote:
Hey ed_metal_head,
How would you consider TI and T2 not Sci0fi??
I mean they are like the epitome of science fiction...would love to hear your argument.

Not much of an argument...I love the films but think they're action first and sci-fi second.

I noticed you also have Tarkovsky's Solaris/Solyaris on your watchlist. I haven't seen any of his films as yet, but would really like to. But as much as I want to see Solyaris I keep hearing even better things about Stalker (1979).

Perhaps someone who has seen both can jump in here.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:30 pm
Post Re: Rate My Top 10 Sci-fi
I think you're missing The Thing from that list. Also Star Wars deserves at least a mention.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:38 pm
rishi85 wrote:
Sorry never got into Star trek,will try it sometime though.
I know it sounds wierd but I dont consider Star wars as hardcore science fiction.It is an opera,like Harry potter in space...Its fantasy.I like it but not adore it

I'm with you on this one - Star Wars is Science Fantasy (though it's attempted explanation of the force - WHY?!? - attempted to move it closer to Sci Fi). My additions would be two Philip K Dick entries: Minority Report and A Scanner Darkly. But I suspect that placing them in a Top 10 list in the genre would be a little controversial and, I'll admit it, I'm a biased PKD fan.

Last edited by caymon on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:50 pm
Great thread. I agree with the person who flagged up some of those wonderful 50s sc-fi films. Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still and War of the Worlds particularly stick in my mind.

I wouldn't have thought of Robocop as sci-fi myself, but I agree it's a great film, and one of the blackest comedies I can remember seeing. I love that film.

Also, no mention so far of "Serenity", Joss Whedon's feature debut in 2005. That's a cracking little film and I rate it above a lot of the Spielberg stuff.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:37 pm
So I thought, i'd post my own top 10 because a couple of the movies on it haven't been mentioned. So in order......

1) Blade Runner

2) Dune

3) Starship Troopers (my all time favorite guilty pleasure movie)

4) Solaris (2002)

5) Star Trek II

6) Aliens

7) Serenity

8) Sunshine*

9) Frankenstein (1931)

10)Children of Men

*I'm very surprised Sunshine hasn't been discussed. That's a very interesting movie and the philosophic/religious questions this movie raised I thought were incredible.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:54 pm
Hey Stiefmo,

Love Frankenstein, really good movie. I think it's more of a horror than sci-fi though. Ever seen Bride of Frankenstein? I like it just as much as the original...maybe even a little more.

I've read Dune, it's one of my all time favourite novels, but haven't seen any of the adaptations. Is the film really that good? Did you see the Sci-fi miniseries also?

I was slightly disappointed by the ending of Sunshine. Up to that point it was fantastic, but some of the visual choices Danny Boyle made then dampened the overall experience.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:36 pm
Yeah it's hard to make a scifi list and not include some elements of horror you know. Like take just for instance Sunshine, it's a sci-fi movie with elements of horror. Speaking of Sunshine, I agree with you completely about the visual choices. It seemed anytime the guy from the other ship was in the shot, Boyle moved to a shaky cam style, which was a little hard to follow and very frustrating. I just loved the idea of people trying to rationalize going against "god's will." I just thought it was a very interesting concept.

Yeah i've seen the Bride of Frankenstein as well. I love those old black and white horror movies. As being a bigger fan of horror more than any other genre, its great to be able to see the films that progressed the genre.

Unfortuneately, I havne't seen the Dune mini-series or read the book. I just recently watched Dune for the first time after one of my good friends recommended it (really he threatned bodily harm if i didn't watch it). So i don't know how it measures up against the other media but I thought the movie was incredible.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:54 pm
stiefmo wrote:
*I'm very surprised Sunshine hasn't been discussed. That's a very interesting movie and the philosophic/religious questions this movie raised I thought were incredible.

It was great except for when the religious fan was on screen.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:28 pm
"Rishi wrote:
Isnt Akira an anime which will star Leo di caprio in the hollywierd adaptation???"

Yup, that's the one, if you haven't seen it give it a try, I highly recommended it. and if we're going to include anime on this list, my vote goes for 'Ghost in the Shell' by Mamoru Oshii

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:23 pm
Or Vampire Hunter D

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:44 pm