Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Top Worst Films of the Decade 
Critic

Post Re: Top Worst Films of the Decade
Vexer wrote:
That's it? No offense, but IMO hating a film just because it dosen't fully capitalize on it's premise and becuase you hate one of the actors is kinda...dumb, I mean yeah I can understand you being dissapointed but i still fail to see how that's enough of a reason for you to hate it more then sometihng truly deserving like Freddy Got Fingered, and while i'm not a big Farrel fan myself, I thought he did an alright job, he was alot worse in Miami Vice IMO

I wouldn't have put it this bluntly because I usually respect what you have to say Ed...but I agree with Vexer 100%. I mean, I had a horrible theater experience with I Am Legend and felt it could have been a hell of a lot more than the mediocre film it was, but it's nowhere near one of the worst of the decade.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:26 pm
There have been some good entries here... I assumed, before reading any of the thread, I hadn't seen some of the shite the 00s had to offer.

But I have seen some shite, it turns out. The worst of the 0000000000sssssss was, to this guy, Vanilla Sky. I wasn't a fan of the original but admired that someone would bother with an idea so preposterous. Vanilla Sky took it the next level.

Other movies that shouldn't have been include Garden State (another terminally whimsical horror show), American Dreamz ("...with a "Z"), and the true quirk horror of Gigantic.

Some of the others, Elephant included, rang well with me. But I'll admit this: reckless cheapness (painful long takes, could-be-fraudulent following of characters just to see how they stack up the same as any other) sometimes tugs at my heart. It all depends on the day.

For example, a really good case could be made over Dancing in the Dark being excruciating.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:42 pm
Vexer wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I guess I'm just not SWAT, buuby.

Part of my dislike for this film is based on the experience. I went to see something else (I forgot what) but that was sold out, so I ended up checking out SWAT. The film had a somewhat interesting premise which it totally failed to capitalize on. The guy is offering hundreds of millions to get him out of that situation but instead of a giant free for all/battle royale we get a single group trying to free him. Then there's Colin Farrell who has an idea for every single situation. This film actually made me hate the actor. Thankfully, he seems to be choosing projects based on reasons other than money since.
That's it? No offense, but IMO hating a film just because it dosen't fully capitalize on it's premise and becuase you hate one of the actors is kinda...dumb, I mean yeah I can understand you being dissapointed but i still fail to see how that's enough of a reason for you to hate it more then sometihng truly deserving like Freddy Got Fingered, and while i'm not a big Farrel fan myself, I thought he did an alright job, he was alot worse in Miami Vice IMO

Yes that's it. I'm sorry if I can't properly communicate my reasons for hating SWAT. I just hate it. When I see it on, I seethe and think "Movie be damned. I hate you". More reasons, I cannot provide...

I freely admit that Freddy Got Fingered is dreadful. However, I'm sure Tom Green knows this. Perhaps I'm overthinking things, but I see that movie as another one of Tom Green's pranks. He probably sits at home and laughs at all the people who saw it. Does that make it any good? No...but that's how I watch it.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:33 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
calvero wrote:
are there any stats on rotten tomatoes on this(lowest rated, etc)?

There sure is. As a matter of fact, there's an annotated list of the worst 100 films of the decade. And I'm about to link you to it, so be ready to be blown away.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/wo ... titialskip

I'm really impressed that a film can have more than 100 reviews without a single one being favorable. Not even Armond White?

I've only seen two of the films on the list, BloodRayne and Happily N'Ever After. The first deserves its low rating, but the second manages to be not only really bad but positively annoying. It's like listening to a borscht belt comedian who can't tell a joke and screams the lame punchline at you.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:47 pm
Director

12: Welcome to Mooseport. I actually gave this one a very marginal recommendation when it came out. But now I look back and realize I must have been drunk at the time. Consider: Gene Hackman is a great actor who does his best in movies where he can actually show off his talent. Ray Romano is best off in sitcom territory. Political satire works best when it has some bite to it. Overall it is now easy to see this movie for what it is: Filler of the weakest kind.

11: Hannibal Rising. This one wasn't necessary at all. One could make a case for Red Dragon not being necessary either. But at least it had some entertainment value and had Anthony Hopkins. This one doesn't have Sir Anthony and even worse; it takes one of cinema's greatest psychopaths and tries to offer a frigging pop psychology reason for why he was the way he was. Did we really need a damn psychological explanation for why Hannibal was a cannibal? No. I thought not.

10: Collateral Damage. When one thinks of Arnold Schwarzenegger nowadays the first word to come to mind is governator. But those of us who were regular moviegoers in the 80s and early to mid 90s remember when he was an action star who was more than an automaton of the Steven Seagal variety. Movies like the first 2 Terminators, The Running Man and True Lies bear this out. Unfortunately, Collateral Damage is not those movies. Instead it bears more of a resemblance to Raw Deal, the ill-advised 1986 actioner that made a misguided attempt to have Arnold play a more serious, dramatic role. In this one, he goes to South America to exterminate the terrorists who murdered his wife and son. Originally scheduled for a fall 2001 release, this movie was temporarily shelved thanks to the 9/11 attacks which did not make a movie with terrorists killing innocent people anything we would want to see at that particularly point in time. Given the overall quality this is one movie that should never have been made, 9/11 attacks or no 9/11 attacks.

9: The Omen. What, another remake of a classic 70s horror film? Memo to Hollywood. Please. We beg of you. No more Psychos, Texas Chainsaw Massacres or Omens. Please.

8: King Arthur. Hardly fit for a king, this Middle Ages set actioner reduces one of the classic stories of all-time to a ho-hum barrage of every war movie cliche one can think of. If this movie had been played for camp, it could have worked. But it took it deadly seriously and that was its undoing. Not as good as Troy (and Troy was merely ok). But it's also not as bad as Oliver Stone's fiasco Alexander. No. It's actually worse!

7: Norbit. So you're coming off of what many consider to be your best performance in years. You're up for an Academy Award. What do you do? If you're Eddie Murphy, you p!ss away all that goodwill by starring in one of the most unfunny and most offensive "attempts" at comedy ever. Although it will never be proven, it is long suspected that this movie is what led to Eddie Murphy losing the Oscar for Dreamgirls. In one of his final scenes in Dreamgirls Eddie says "You can't kill a man with soul". No. But you also can't kill his agent who apparently cannot tell the difference between a good script and a cruddy one.

6: Hide and Seek. A horror film that offers no scares is as bad as a comedy that offers no laughs. What's even worse is a horror movie that offers no genuine scares yet shows scenes of a young child in danger. That's what separates a superior horror film like The Exorcist from a worthless piece of crap like Hide and Seek. The fact that Robert De Niro is in it is further proof that we need better quality control when it comes to picking agents for actors.

5: RV. What Hide and Seek is to horror films, RV is to comedies. It's the prime example of a big budget commercial mediocrity. To sum it up, watching RV is like being at a party with a guy who tells a very unfunny joke. He tells the whole joke while the people listening are waiting for it to be over. He gets to the punch line and nobody's laughing. He then goes "Oh you didn't get it. Let me explain" and goes on, completely oblivious to the fact that nobody laughed because the joke wasn't funny. When that happens, do you get the urge to slap the unfunny jokester over the head? You'll get the same urge to do the same thing to Robin Williams and director Barry Sonnenfeld if you try to watch RV.

4: Scooby Doo. It would be overly melodramatic to say that with this movie Hollywood raped a beloved cartoon. But it's really the only way to describe it. You know a movie's in trouble when even a farting contest between Shaggy and Scooby can't get it out of the ditch. Time for Hollywood to stop with the damn Saturday Morning Cartoon remakes already.

3: Battlefield Earth. Proof positive of why star ego trip projects based on L Ron Hubbard novels are not a good idea. Having John Travolta look like Rob Zombie and making him an alien...well all I can say is that he's lucky he still has a career.

2: Adventures of Pluto Nash. Poor Eddie Murphy. Once you take the aforementioned Dreamgirls and the first 2 Shreks out of the equation, you realize that this has truly been a crappy decade for him with atrocious movies ranging from Daddy Day Care to the aforementioned Norbit to the dismal remake of I Spy. This one is easily his worst. It was made and sat on the shelf for close to a year before being dumped into theaters at the end of August 2002. Were it not for Murphy's name on it, it would've gone directly to the landfill; do not pass go, do not make 5 million at the box office. Even Eddie himself knew what a piece of sh!t this was and stayed home. I'll leave you with a number: Zero. That number is the answer to the equation: Number of laughs offered by The Adventures of Pluto Nash.

Envelope please. And the winner of the biggest stink bomb of the decade award is:

1: Pearl Harbor. There was a time when I could forgive Michael Bay. I liked The Rock and I still do. I didn't mind Armageddon all that much. The original Bad Boys was cool. But then he had to go and try to re-make Titanic. But he needed another historical event. So he picked the date of the surprise attack that brought America into World War II. So we get a good war movie? No. We get a trite soap opera with the start of a war in the background. Badly acted, badly written, godawful dialogue. Very historically inaccurate too. All I can say is: Do NOT let Michael Bay make a 9/11 movie or we will end up with a vomit inducing mess about a love triangle between 2 firefighters and a female paramedic that gets interrupted by "those planes that just happened to crash into the towers". Offensive as hell? Yes and so is this pathetic excuse for a movie

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:31 am
I actually like most of the films on your list, though Pearl Harbor was way overlong and overwrought(though for what it's worth, Bay isn't to blame for everything with that film, the soap opera storylines were actually forced upon him by the studio and producer Randall Wallace) but god knows i'd watch it over that piece of shit Gladiator ANY day. I do agree about Hide And Seek, easily De Niro's worst role ever, he looked like he was sleepwalking through the entire film, I wouldn't put Mooseport up though, it's definitely not a good film by any means but it's not really terrible either, it's just one of those films that's so mediocre and forgettable that it's not even worth getting worked up over(though I do HATE Romano's sitcom, how it lasted for so long i'll never know)

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:58 am
I seem to have managed to avoid a lot of the worst crap that was released this past decade, and simply managed to see a lot of uninspired mediocre crap.

Worst Film (that I saw):
Another Gay Move

Runners Up:
Spiderman 3
X-Men: The Last Stand
Hearts In Atlantis

I also saw the first half hour of Meet the Fockers and cannot imagine a more poorly written, acted, and directed opening for a so called comedy movie. It was like some poor sap thought up a bunch of gags, and then everyone else conspired to make them as unfunny as possible.
-Jeremy

Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:05 pm
Director

thered47 wrote:
I seem to have managed to avoid a lot of the worst crap that was released this past decade, and simply managed to see a lot of uninspired mediocre crap.

Worst Film (that I saw):
Another Gay Move

Runners Up:
Spiderman 3
X-Men: The Last Stand
Hearts In Atlantis

I also saw the first half hour of Meet the Fockers and cannot imagine a more poorly written, acted, and directed opening for a so called comedy movie. It was like some poor sap thought up a bunch of gags, and then everyone else conspired to make them as unfunny as possible.-Jeremy

I saw that movie this past Friday at a college theater. I hated that film, but everyone in the theather ate that s**t like it was candy.

I would like to add Transformers 2, September Dawn and Chuck and Larry on the list.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:37 pm
Profile YIM
Director

Jeez, you people actually went out of your way and saw all these big steaming piles? :|

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:33 pm