Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Top Worst Films of the Decade 
Director

Post Re: Top Worst Films of the Decade
Vexer wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Hey Corpen, aren't you forgetting about Freddy Got Fingered?

It is one of the worst films of the decade, but I decided that would leave out a spot for other films that should be placed on the list.
Well would you say Freddy worse then September Dawn?

I would say that September Dawn may be worst, but not by much.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:42 pm
Profile YIM
Any film starring Larry the Cable Guy (Delta Farce, the Health Insepector) should be immediately noted. Secondly any "Movie" (Date Movie, Epic Movie, Disaster Movie) should also be assumed to be among the worst of the decade. Now to my list.

5. Strange Wilderness - with the cast it had and as it was written, produced, and directed by the crew in charge of Grandma's Boy, I thought this film was going to be much better. The problem was that their attempts at comedy were so outlandish it felt more like I was looking at a trainwreck and not something you can actually laugh at.

4. Haunting in Connecticut-the dad in this film drove 8 hours to drunkenly yell at the family for leaving the lights in the house on, yet he wasted roughly 100 dollars (2 tanks of gas, at least/ oh and booze)to do so instead of just picking up the phone. The twist comes out of nowhere and the horror is not present.

3. Corky Romano - Am I the only one who would give up one months salary to be able to punch Chris Kattan right in the face? Who thought giving Mango his own movie was going to work out? I should be able to punch that guy in the face too.

2. 3 way tie - Big Momma's House/Black Knight/Big Momma's House 2. Martin Lawrence just stop. Please.

1. Godsend - Possibly the worst plot in a movie ever. Oh, you used your dead son who was a homicidal maniac and put his dna with their dead son and somehow you got live cells to clone and come back to life.... Wow. Somebody had naked pictures of DeNiro with a farm animal. That's the only reason he's in this film.

Dis-Honerable mentions - Rollerball, Femme Fatale, Ballistic, Alexander, and *Clerks 2.

*I Love Kevin Smith, Clerks 1, Rosario Dawson, and raunchy humor, but for some reason, this movie was a complete miss for me. It was hard to watch.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:55 pm
Vexer wrote:
Same here, I only see films tha ti'm sure i'll enjoy, if it looks like shit to me, then i'm NEVER going to see it for as long as I live, Shutter Island being one example, it looks godawful! IMO and honestly, I don't think anybody would be nearly as excited about that film if Scorcese wasn't attached to it.

Well, some of us might be excited even if it was an unknown director, considering the cast and the writer.

As far as worst of the decade...

xXx: State of the Union
Wolf Creek
Hostel
Transformers 2
Ballistic: Ecs vs Sever

....and so many others.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:09 pm
Shade wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Same here, I only see films tha ti'm sure i'll enjoy, if it looks like shit to me, then i'm NEVER going to see it for as long as I live, Shutter Island being one example, it looks godawful! IMO and honestly, I don't think anybody would be nearly as excited about that film if Scorcese wasn't attached to it.

Well, some of us might be excited even if it was an unknown director, considering the cast and the writer.

As far as worst of the decade...

xXx: State of the Union
Wolf Creek
Hostel
Transformers 2
Ballistic: Ecs vs Sever

....and so many others.
Well I guess it's obvious my tastes in film are the exact opposite of yours since I enjoyed every one of those films.

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:46 pm
In no particular order:

Battlefield Earth
The Master of Disguise
S.W.A.T.
Tideland
Running With Scissors
Sisters
The Morgue

It's been a while, but I will argue that all of these were worse than Freddy Got Fingered.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:08 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
In no particular order:

Battlefield Earth
The Master of Disguise
S.W.A.T.
Tideland
Running With Scissors
Sisters
The Morgue

It's been a while, but I will argue that all of these were worse than Freddy Got Fingered.
i agree with every one of those except for S.W.A.T., seriously, how anyone could call that worse then sometihng like Freddy is beyond me, what did you find so bad about that film? I mean any film with Samuel L Jackson can't be THAT bad!

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:32 pm
Critic

How is S.W.A.T conceivably, POSSIBLY worse than Freddy Got Fingered?

A fairly unambitious summer action film that earned some points by being less ridiculous than it easily could have. It simply doesn't try hard enough to be anywhere close to one of the worst of the decade. Only 2.7% of people on IMDB gave it a 1, which I think speaks to the fact that it's just not worthy of hatred/not that bad (for comparison's sake, 6.1% gave The Godfather and 4.2% gave Mulholland Dr. the same score).

That's like saying that The Taking of Pelham 123 or Deja Vu was the worst movie of the decade. Now I'm really curious what you found so hateworthy about it

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:34 pm
I find it curious how you hated Elephant so much. I thought that film was a masterpiece.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:24 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
In no particular order:

Battlefield Earth
The Master of Disguise
S.W.A.T.
Tideland
Running With Scissors
Sisters
The Morgue

Hey, buuby. either you're SWAT or you're not. I like this film; it's two hours of good action scens with likeable characters. FGF is an absolute trash. September Dawn is a nightmare of a film; possibly worst than FGF.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:55 pm
Profile YIM
Critic

JJoshay wrote:
I find it curious how you hated Elephant so much. I thought that film was a masterpiece.

A masterpiece of awful, sub-film-school quality moviemaking perhaps. It's a movie that felt long at 80 minutes, and was so dull and so completely composed of insipid long takes that I found myself looking forward to cuts. No character development, just stereotypes (the bulimic girls, the gay Nazi-fetishizing outcasts, etc.) and an inexplicable scene in which the camera follows a character's back for 5 minutes as he calmly walks straight up to the killers and gets shot.

Its defenders would say that "it's describing the mundanities of the school day before a shattering act of violence tears the school apart," it's just a bunch of caricatures going through the motions of what screenwriters think high school is like. The movie is so moribund that when one character sees two people walking into the school in camoflauge with a couple of bulging bags (and they tell him to get away) he doesn't seem overly concerned. What a terrible, terrible film. Helps me understand why people find long takes masturbatory and pretentious

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:17 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

It's a tossup between Bruce Almighty and Attack of the Clones. Ok, I think it has to go to AotC because there was at least one funny scene in BA that wasn't total life wasting garbage. Movies with these kinds of budgets and teams of experienced professionals should not be able to produce such terrible drek.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:45 am
JamesKunz wrote:
How is S.W.A.T conceivably, POSSIBLY worse than Freddy Got Fingered?

A fairly unambitious summer action film that earned some points by being less ridiculous than it easily could have. It simply doesn't try hard enough to be anywhere close to one of the worst of the decade. Only 2.7% of people on IMDB gave it a 1, which I think speaks to the fact that it's just not worthy of hatred/not that bad (for comparison's sake, 6.1% gave The Godfather and 4.2% gave Mulholland Dr. the same score).

That's like saying that The Taking of Pelham 123 or Deja Vu was the worst movie of the decade. Now I'm really curious what you found so hateworthy about it

Yeah I can see people not liking it, even though I did, but I can't really seeing someone hating it. Unless you have an intense hatred for run of the mill summer action movies.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:39 pm
[quote="rblount27"]Unlike a lost of movie buffs I tend to avoid movies that I'm sure I'll hate, so this isn't the best list. I also freely admit that I've seen worse movies but these pissed me off for a number of reasons.

Pay It Forward - Haley Joel Osmond is the second coming of Jesus. And Kevin Spacey is the second coming of Mask. Pretentiousness hit new heights on this one.
I thought this was a pretty good movie, though it may have been a tad pretentious.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:41 pm
As I've mentioned here in the past, Diary of a Cannibal is not only the worst of the decade, but also the worst movie I've ever seen. Period. The movie literally has only ten minutes of story, yet it actually shows this footage multiple times, stretching the running length to almost an hour and a half. An absolute travesty of a movie. And the production designer should be shot, as I've seen student films with better and more realistic sets than the prison hospital. You know a movie is bad when it shows a headless body, yet it's clearly a person with a black box where their head should be. Seriously. It looks like they went into MS Paint and drew a black box where the head should be and hoped no one would notice.

The rest of my top 5:
2. Twilight
3. Eight Crazy Nights
4. Hide and Seek
5. The Evil Woods

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Critic

Meh Twilight is too mediocre to really be that terrible

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:21 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:

Yeah, it's first sequel is a better choice.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:44 pm
Profile YIM
Oh and Uwe Boll's catalog from the decade.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:03 am
corpen11 wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Yeah, it's first sequel is a better choice.

I didn't consider it mediocre. I considered it terrible. I doubt I'll ever see the sequel, so I'll never know just how bad things get.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:36 am
corpen11 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
In no particular order:

Battlefield Earth
The Master of Disguise
S.W.A.T.
Tideland
Running With Scissors
Sisters
The Morgue

Hey, buuby. either you're SWAT or you're not. I like this film; it's two hours of good action scens with likeable characters. FGF is an absolute trash. September Dawn is a nightmare of a film; possibly worst than FGF.

I guess I'm just not SWAT, buuby.

Part of my dislike for this film is based on the experience. I went to see something else (I forgot what) but that was sold out, so I ended up checking out SWAT. The film had a somewhat interesting premise which it totally failed to capitalize on. The guy is offering hundreds of millions to get him out of that situation but instead of a giant free for all/battle royale we get a single group trying to free him. Then there's Colin Farrell who has an idea for every single situation. This film actually made me hate the actor. Thankfully, he seems to be choosing projects based on reasons other than money since.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
corpen11 wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
In no particular order:

Battlefield Earth
The Master of Disguise
S.W.A.T.
Tideland
Running With Scissors
Sisters
The Morgue

I guess I'm just not SWAT, buuby.

Part of my dislike for this film is based on the experience. I went to see something else (I forgot what) but that was sold out, so I ended up checking out SWAT. The film had a somewhat interesting premise which it totally failed to capitalize on. The guy is offering hundreds of millions to get him out of that situation but instead of a giant free for all/battle royale we get a single group trying to free him. Then there's Colin Farrell who has an idea for every single situation. This film actually made me hate the actor. Thankfully, he seems to be choosing projects based on reasons other than money since.
That's it? No offense, but IMO hating a film just because it dosen't fully capitalize on it's premise and becuase you hate one of the actors is kinda...dumb, I mean yeah I can understand you being dissapointed but i still fail to see how that's enough of a reason for you to hate it more then sometihng truly deserving like Freddy Got Fingered, and while i'm not a big Farrel fan myself, I thought he did an alright job, he was alot worse in Miami Vice IMO

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:20 pm