Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible 
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
Yeah, while I admittedly didn't care much for No Country For Old Men, I definitely wouldn't call it a terrible movie. Dead Poets Society, now that's a terrible movie! How that wretched waste of celluloid got so many gushing reviews I will never know :roll:

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:20 pm
There's gotta be some level of incompetence (technical, emotional, what have you) for me to think the movie is terrible. Some kind of falseness. Vexer put it right: No Country For Old Men, which I wasn't too enthusiastic about either, wasn't terrible. Even Benjamin Button, a terrifyingly mediocre piece of shrugishness, wasn't terrible.

For terrible, and with glowing reviews to boot, I always go to 21 Grams. Or Babel. Or The House of Sand and Fog. Sand and Fog, in particular, was such a hysterical piece of emotional fraudulence that I was almost sexually thrilled by the display of histrionic bullshit. But all three of these awful films, each one more desperate than the next, were close to hilarious in their attempts to get the audience to feel the holy living f*ck out of themselves. They are the best examples, at least in modern film, of Oprah's sensibilities of Gotta Feel, Gotta Sympathize, Gotta Shed a Tear. So thoroughly Emotional they were, the more time between their release and our current lives the better. If I want subtlety to get a nice screwing I'll pick Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle over any of these three demons.

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:05 pm
Vexer wrote:
Meatloaf wrote:
Vexer wrote:
plus that film also made really lame out-of-left-field twist endings popular

Yeah but the twists in the Usual Suspects and Fight Club were fuckin' awesome.
Yeah good point, I just mentioned that because I remembered someone else blamed Sixth Sense for the increase in banal twist-endings, Fight CLub was fine but Usual Suspects, well let's just say that I completely agree with Ebert's review of it.

BOO!!!!

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:11 am
Critic

Meatloaf wrote:
Vexer wrote:

[/quote]

Fight Club's twist made no fucking sense whatsoever on film.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Multiple Personalities is pretty much the dumbest, most overused, least believable twist in a filmmaker's repertoire. Did you see Adaptation? Donald Kauffman's script "The 3" doesn't sound much more far-fetched or dumber than Fight Club

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:26 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Meatloaf wrote:
Vexer wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Multiple Personalities is pretty much the dumbest, most overused, least believable twist in a filmmaker's repertoire. Did you see Adaptation? Donald Kauffman's script "The 3" doesn't sound much more far-fetched or dumber than Fight Club
[/quote]

Indeed. Fight Club's twist is hilarious, it veers into "so bad, it's good" territory.

And then we are supposed to believe that a man who is seen by others beating himself, gains multiple followers who obey his every word and becomes something of an anti-consumeristic mesiah.

Makes sense.
Not!

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:34 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Meatloaf wrote:
Vexer wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
[/quote]

I'll grant you that the mechanics of the twist are a little ridiculous. But no love for any allegorical significance? The idea that the twist offers? I think I was buying the twist not for any awesomeness contained therein but for the nifty commentary it offered on The Narrator's tiny little place in the world.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:26 am
Critic

majoraphasia wrote:
I'll grant you that the mechanics of the twist are a little ridiculous. But no love for any allegorical significance? The idea that the twist offers? I think I was buying the twist not for any awesomeness contained therein but for the nifty commentary it offered on The Narrator's tiny little place in the world.

Nope. You could make a movie in which it turned out that Hitler and Churchill were the same person, offering lots of commentary on the nature of good and evil, but it would still make no consistent or logical sense and I would think it was ridiculous, just like Fight Club

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:52 am
JamesKunz wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Nope. You could make a movie in which it turned out that Hitler and Churchill were the same person, offering lots of commentary on the nature of good and evil, but it would still make no consistent or logical sense and I would think it was ridiculous, just like Fight Club

Fair enough. Ebert did a shot-by-shot analysis and felt the same way. Some people's Fight Club are other people's 21 Grams.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:18 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I think that's sad. You need some suspension of disbelief.
There are plenty of movies out there which are very rewarding but don't hold together logically 100% if you press them very hard.
Fight Club holds together pretty well--you just have to make a few leaps of acceptance. It's not like a movie is evidence in a court of law. Every piece does not have to fit. It does not have to create an absolutely realistic world in which everything is seen from an omniscient POV. You really only need to accept that Fight Club is being shown from a couple different points of view and you're set.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting lowering your standards for viewing movies. I'm suggesting that you're prioritizing the wrong part of a movie--logical consistency. I mean, there are plenty of movies that throw that element out the window altogether and rely on dream logic or something else.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:32 pm
Critic

I take your point Trevor, but plot twists are a different animal. My bullshit meter is much stronger on plot twists, because they only work if they play fair. Their whole point is to trick you, and if they do by cheating you feel, well, cheated. Plus if you're going to use multiple fucking personalities, of all fucking cliches, you better make damn sure that it holds together.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:00 pm
Fight Club doesn't pretend at realism, and it is not required to. Within the internal logic of the Fight Club universe, which is generally a satirical distortion of reality, the famous "twist" works.

I'm actually hesitant to call it a twist at all, because "twist" implies that it's a major plot contortion that the rest of the movie either builds onto or comes down from. In Fight Club, it's merely the groundwork for the real fireworks in the final act.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:07 pm
Critic

You're right let's not call it a twist--let's call it a cinematic abortion

No matter what universe the movie is supposed to take place in, the idea that a bunch of people saw a guy kicking the shit out of himself and decided, huh, let's make a fight club and then get led around by this obvious schizo case doesn't work and leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:30 pm
I can't believe I have to drop some science on you doubters saying that Fight Club's twist doesn't hold up and was an ass-pull. I don't care if you like it or not but there are many clues that lead up to the twist:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
-Tyler Durden is seen in 5 places before he's introduced proper, 4 of them are there for only a frame and the last is a crowd shot where he's somewhat unnoticeable
-look at the crowd during Tyler's and The Narrator's fight....don't they look weirded out rather than entertained?
-certain people only talk to or acknowledge The Narrator like Tyler doesn't exist
-The Narrator has a Project Mayhem folder before he finds out about the smiley-face building incident
-After the car crash, Tyler pulls The Narrator out of the driver's seat...when The Narrator was a passenger
-The phone booth that Tyler calls The Narrator after his apartment blows up has a sign stating "No Incoming Calls"
-When Tyler and The Narrator get on the bus, The Narrator pays for himself...Tyler doesn't pay and isn't reprimanded to do so

There's a few that I'm missing which the Fincher/Norton/Pitt/Carter commentary covers....other than that, total ass-pull

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 pm
Critic

Clues leading up to something don't make it any less absurd. To continue my previous analogy, in my invented film I could have all sorts of clues that Hitler and Churchill are the same person. They could use similar turns of phrase, have the same mannerisms, etc. But you know what, that still wouldn't make any goddamn sense

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:42 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Clues leading up to something don't make it any less absurd. To continue my previous analogy, in my invented film I could have all sorts of clues that Hitler and Churchill are the same person. They could use similar turns of phrase, have the same mannerisms, etc. But you know what, that still wouldn't make any goddamn sense

But it would've played fair. The key to a good twist is if it was built up within the realm of a movie which in Fight Club's case it was! There's a difference between absurdity and ass-pull.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:12 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
For terrible, and with glowing reviews to boot, I always go to 21 Grams. Or Babel.

I'll grant that after Amores Perros every film was a little worse than the last. At the very least, don't you appreciate the acting? 21 Grams, especially, has some fantastic performances.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
For terrible, and with glowing reviews to boot, I always go to 21 Grams. Or Babel.

I'll grant that after Amores Perros every film was a little worse than the last. At the very least, don't you appreciate the acting? 21 Grams, especially, has some fantastic performances.

The acting plays second fiddle to contrived, overwrought plotting. I have no doubt that the acting was superb but I'm recklessly certain the movies (any of the ones I mentioned) failed the performances.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:46 pm
Gaffer

Patrick, very observant on Fight Club.

I did catch a few of those, but some you mentioned I hadent even noticed.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 am
JamesKunz wrote:
You're right let's not call it a twist--let's call it a cinematic abortion

No matter what universe the movie is supposed to take place in, the idea that a bunch of people saw a guy kicking the shit out of himself and decided, huh, let's make a fight club and then get led around by this obvious schizo case doesn't work and leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

You'd be suprised. There are many supposed "fight clubs" all over the place, and the one in the movie apparently took inspiration from some sort of Brazilian spiritual rebirth chicanery. And I can speak from personal experience that the movie's satire is right on target concerning the non observant disenfranchised male. It's the first movie that really affected me, and it wasn't until a few weeks later I realized that I was the butt of the joke. :geek:

I'm going to throw in "Borat". It was irritating to listen to some critics pretend that nothing was staged, and I was annoyed also at the filmmakers for feining that they had some kind of moral highground. At least "Bruno" is honest enough to go all out and make fun of EVERYONE, including themselves, without pretense, and with no absurd political point to make other than that humans are a silly race. :mrgreen:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:24 am
Director

The Sixth Sense. Not that it was a terrible movie. But the twist I figured out halfway through the movie.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Watch the scene where Willis is talking to Haley Joel Osment. His mother is in the room for a minute before she leaves. She doesn't acknowledge Willis's presence, doesn't say anything like "I'll go in the other room so you can talk with your doctor"
. As far as Shymalan goes, I preferred Unbreakable and The Village.

Titanic. It's not terrible from a technical standpoint. But the dialogue sucks exhaust fumes and the doomed love story was old when Shakespeare told it in Romeo and Juliet. My bigger problem with Titanic is that it made the world safe again for big budget cliches to win Oscars. Consider this: the year before Titanic won, the best picture winner was The English Patient. I didn't care for it either. But it wasn't a Hollywood film, the money was put up by the same record company that financed One Flew over The Cuckoo's Nest and Anthony Minghella wasn't a Hollywood director. Of the nominated films that year, the only one that could be considered a traditional Hollywood film was Jerry Maguire. After Titanic, the number of Hollywood films nominated for best picture Oscars increased.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:58 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next