Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:41 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible 
Author Message
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
DylnFan96818 wrote:
I watched Boondock Saints for the first time today and I don't get the hype it received. What was so great about it?


It's a question virtually every film fan asks. If you figure it out, let us know.


Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:48 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
Hey man I love film and I enjoyed that movie, in particular the first half. Yes we know it's a Tarantino clone, but so's Snatch and that's an enjoyable film too. The movie shows a refreshing knowledge of cinematic convention ("Wow that was easy...in the movies there's always that guy who hides behind the couch and you have to shoot at him forever") and contains several passages of genuinely witty dialogue. Plus Willem Dafoe clearly knows that type of movie he's in and gives a gloriously over the top performance. Is it great? No, it has a million problems with it. But I think it should be easy to see why it has such a following. Most ostentatiously "cool" films do: look at Fight Club

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:53 pm
Profile
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
ed_metal_head wrote:
DylnFan96818 wrote:
I watched Boondock Saints for the first time today and I don't get the hype it received. What was so great about it?


It's a question virtually every film fan asks. If you figure it out, let us know.

I've tried asking my friends, since I'm the only one among them who hated that film. They don't seem to have a clue though- perhaps that's why it's called a "cult favorite".


Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:41 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
Way to ignore my post Ragnarok

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 pm
Profile
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
JamesKunz wrote:
Way to ignore my post Ragnarok

Think nothing of it- I did.


Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:57 pm
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
"Superman Returns". The critics loved it but IMHO it was the most boring superhero movie ever made.

Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth must be the most charisma-challenged couple ever featured on a big-budget Hollywood movie. The make Chris Reeve and Margot Kidder look like the second coming of Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn.


Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:49 pm
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
The original star wars. Vastly overrated in my opinion.


Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:59 am
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
panos75 wrote:
"Superman Returns". The critics loved it but IMHO it was the most boring superhero movie ever made.

Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth must be the most charisma-challenged couple ever featured on a big-budget Hollywood movie. The make Chris Reeve and Margot Kidder look like the second coming of Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn.


I had pretty high hopes for this after reading James' review, but it was really just boring and sucked a whole lot of ass.


Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:44 pm
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
My stock answer for this is Amelie.


Oh God Bless You Ed. Bless your scythe, and your skull, and everything about you. Fuck Amelie--stupid saccharine movie that I hated and everyone else somehow loved.

I'd nominate pretty much any Biopic--Milk comes to mind because it was recent. They follow a formula as rigid as romantic comedies and somehow gain critical appreciation for doing the same thing as every movie that came before them.



This is my first visit to this thread and your post was such sweet milk for the belly and music to the ears. Good form JamesKunz, good form...


Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:59 pm
Gaffer

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:43 am
Posts: 26
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
Off the top of my head.....

Closer
Avatar
Star Trek
Inglorious Basterds
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Crash
Mystic River
Tropic Thunder
The Matrix
Mrs Doubtfire
The Sixth Sense
Borat
Y Tu Mama Tambien


Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:06 am
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
Tarim69 wrote:
Closer
Avatar
Star Trek
Inglorious Basterds
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Crash
Mystic River
Tropic Thunder
The Matrix
Mrs Doubtfire
The Sixth Sense
Borat
Y Tu Mama Tambien


Hmmm with the possible exception of the last one, which I think was distinctly overrated, I liked all of those movies.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:09 am
Profile
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
I'd agree with you on The Sixth Sense 100%, that iflm was jsut pure dogshit, my hatred for M Night knows no bounds, plus that film also made really lame out-of-left-field twist endings popular, it's also Willis's worst acting role IMO and one of my friends REALLY hates Crash, he thought the racism in that film was incredibly forced.


Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:24 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
Vexer wrote:
plus that film also made really lame out-of-left-field twist endings popular


Ehhh The Usual Suspects had come out 4 years earlier and Fight Club also came out in 1999. I think it's unfair to lay that shitty trend entirely on The Sixth Sense.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:31 pm
Profile
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:
plus that film also made really lame out-of-left-field twist endings popular


Ehhh The Usual Suspects had come out 4 years earlier and Fight Club also came out in 1999. I think it's unfair to lay that shitty trend entirely on The Sixth Sense.


Yeah but the twists in the Usual Suspects and Fight Club were fuckin' awesome.


Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:42 pm
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
Meatloaf wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Vexer wrote:
plus that film also made really lame out-of-left-field twist endings popular


Ehhh The Usual Suspects had come out 4 years earlier and Fight Club also came out in 1999. I think it's unfair to lay that shitty trend entirely on The Sixth Sense.


Yeah but the twists in the Usual Suspects and Fight Club were fuckin' awesome.
Yeah good point, I just mentioned that because I remembered someone else blamed Sixth Sense for the increase in banal twist-endings, Fight CLub was fine but Usual Suspects, well let's just say that I completely agree with Ebert's review of it.


Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:51 pm
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
no country for old men


Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:55 pm
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
moulton4 wrote:
no country for old men


You serious?


Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:58 pm
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
Blace wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
no country for old men


You serious?

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. One of my friends absolutely hates that film too while liking Daredevil (yes, that movie with Ben Affleck in it).


Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:34 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
I don't hate the film, but I only gave it a ***. Tommy Lee Jones's plotline wasn't nearly as interesting as the Brolin/Bardem faceoff and the plotting was often lazy (e.g. Woody Harrelson shows up, explains significant chunks of exposition to Brolin then dies)

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:39 pm
Profile
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Blace wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
no country for old men


You serious?

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. One of my friends absolutely hates that film too while liking Daredevil (yes, that movie with Ben Affleck in it).


I know it is his opinion, but there is a difference from a movie you don't like and a terrible one. No Country for Old Men is not a terrible movie.


Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:45 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr