Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible 
Critic

Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
Jeff Wilder wrote:
The Sixth Sense. Not that it was a terrible movie. But the twist I figured out halfway through the movie.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Watch the scene where Willis is talking to Haley Joel Osment. His mother is in the room for a minute before she leaves. She doesn't acknowledge Willis's presence, doesn't say anything like "I'll go in the other room so you can talk with your doctor"
. As far as Shymalan goes, I preferred Unbreakable and The Village.

Titanic. It's not terrible from a technical standpoint. But the dialogue sucks exhaust fumes and the doomed love story was old when Shakespeare told it in Romeo and Juliet. My bigger problem with Titanic is that it made the world safe again for big budget cliches to win Oscars. Consider this: the year before Titanic won, the best picture winner was The English Patient. I didn't care for it either. But it wasn't a Hollywood film, the money was put up by the same record company that financed One Flew over The Cuckoo's Nest and Anthony Minghella wasn't a Hollywood director. Of the nominated films that year, the only one that could be considered a traditional Hollywood film was Jerry Maguire. After Titanic, the number of Hollywood films nominated for best picture Oscars increased.

Well the next two BPs were Shakespeare in Love and American Beauty, hardly "Hollywood" style filmmaking, so I don't really think you could say Titanic really started a trend.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:04 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Well the next two BPs were Shakespeare in Love and American Beauty, hardly "Hollywood" style filmmaking, so I don't really think you could say Titanic really started a trend.

True. I was thinking of Gladiator's winning a few years later ahead of Traffic specifically. But you're right in that regard.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:23 am
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

True. I was thinking of Gladiator's winning a few years later ahead of Traffic specifically. But you're right in that regard.

Yeah fuck that decision--Traffic was a far better film

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:29 am
Patrick wrote:
I can't believe I have to drop some science on you doubters saying that Fight Club's twist doesn't hold up and was an ass-pull. I don't care if you like it or not but there are many clues that lead up to the twist:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
-Tyler Durden is seen in 5 places before he's introduced proper, 4 of them are there for only a frame and the last is a crowd shot where he's somewhat unnoticeable
-look at the crowd during Tyler's and The Narrator's fight....don't they look weirded out rather than entertained?
-certain people only talk to or acknowledge The Narrator like Tyler doesn't exist
-The Narrator has a Project Mayhem folder before he finds out about the smiley-face building incident
-After the car crash, Tyler pulls The Narrator out of the driver's seat...when The Narrator was a passenger
-The phone booth that Tyler calls The Narrator after his apartment blows up has a sign stating "No Incoming Calls"
-When Tyler and The Narrator get on the bus, The Narrator pays for himself...Tyler doesn't pay and isn't reprimanded to do so

There's a few that I'm missing which the Fincher/Norton/Pitt/Carter commentary covers....other than that, total ass-pull

Also:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Marla asks: Who are you talking to? when Tyler opens the door to the narrator eavesdropping during their acrobatic sex scene. A lot of stuff with Marla actually. You'll notice she always acts like she's the narrator's girlfriend - asking about the burn on the hand and getting upset when he won't tell her, grabbing his crotch, etc... Also, the narrator mentions that Marla and Tyler are never in the same room together, outside their humping.

Note the way Tyler tells the narrator what to say in a few scenes, such as when he's on the phone with the fire inspector, and everybody just looks at him weird... like he was just talking to himself. Most noticeably when he gives the "I don't have to explain myself to you speech" to Marla and she replies "I just can't win with you can I?"

-Jeremy

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:52 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6