Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible 
Post Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
#1 Nomination - Remember The Titans

I’d love to come up with my own critisizm but nobody does it better than Berardinelli
“Remember the Titans is relentlessly manipulative and hopelessly predictable”

I’d love to know any other nominations of movies that got glowing reviews but were actually terrible.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:07 pm
Post Re: Movies That Got Glowing Reviews But Were Terrible
We already have a thread for overrated movies.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:31 pm
Vexer wrote:
We already have a thread for overrated movies.

I'll let a mod decide, but I'm not sure that the two threads are necessarily the same.

My stock answer for this is Amelie. I like Audrey Tautou and based on the trailer and reviews (90% positive on RottenTomatoes) I thought I'd love it.

Apparently there is a thing like too much Tautou-cuteness. That line was crossed several times.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:18 pm
I don't know if I'd say "glowing" reviews, but Bruno received a 60-some percent on RT and a 3 star from JB.

I thought it was utter crap. The scenes had a beyond-phony feel like a poorly scripted Jerry or Montel show.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:56 am
I was going to just let it die but NOOOOOO, ed just had to bump it and Awf just had to post something here so I guess I'll have to do something.

I'm moving it to lists, the other overrated movies thread seems to be about the opinion of the people. This thread is more about the opinion of the critic.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:04 am
Well there's dozens of critically acclaimed films I hate with a passion, though i've mentioned most of them already, it goes without saying that I hate pretty much every film that ever won an Oscar.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:31 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
My stock answer for this is Amelie.

Oh God Bless You Ed. Bless your scythe, and your skull, and everything about you. Fuck Amelie--stupid saccharine movie that I hated and everyone else somehow loved.

I'd nominate pretty much any Biopic--Milk comes to mind because it was recent. They follow a formula as rigid as romantic comedies and somehow gain critical appreciation for doing the same thing as every movie that came before them.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:12 pm
"Fight Club".
A pseudorevolutionary and pseudonitelectual mess that is saved only by Edward Norton's excellent performance.
Incoherent plot, cartoonish characters, a twist that made me laugh so hard that I fell from my chair and Brad Pitt of all people trying to convince us that we must rebel against consumerism.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:37 pm
Critic

panos75 wrote:
"Fight Club".
A pseudorevolutionary and pseudonitelectual mess that is saved only by Edward Norton's excellent performance.
Incoherent plot, cartoonish characters, a twist that made me laugh so hard that I fell from my chair and Brad Pitt of all people trying to convince us that we must rebel against consumerism.

I was going to say Fight Club (for all the reasons you mention and more) but I thought it was only internet-people who liked it. However, a quick look at the tomatometer says that 80% of critics were fans, so I suppose it belongs here after all. My favorite part is how the movie claims we're losing our identities due to consumerism, and then posits that a good way to combat this is by joining a faceless underground army.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:23 pm
Ignoring the Fight Club bashing with which I wholeheartedly disagree; my choice is Mulholland Dr. Have you ever seen a movie more maddeningly incoherent? It made no sense and there was absolutely nothing redeeming about the experience unless you include
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the lesbian sex scenes.
David Lynch hit gold with Blue Velvet but this movie had nothing going for it besides a good film-noir look and an excellent performance by Naomi Watts that could not salvage the material.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:29 pm
Critic

This is one of those annoying statements that one hears too often...but you really have to see Mulholland Dr. more than once. I've watched it several times and its a joy to piece it all together. Well, everything but the unbelievably creepy guy behind the dumpster. I never did figure out what he's doing in the movie, besides scaring the shit out of everybody.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:45 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
This is one of those annoying statements that one hears too often...but you really have to see Mulholland Dr. more than once. I've watched it several times and its a joy to piece it all together. Well, everything but the unbelievably creepy guy behind the dumpster. I never did figure out what he's doing in the movie, besides scaring the shit out of everybody.

In my opinion, two movies that not only warrant but deserve more then one viewing are Sion Sono's Suicide Club and Strange Circus, but films are, like Mulholland Dr., incredibly difficult but in the end I feel much more rewarding.

Another, overrated film is... Rudy. I fucking hate this movie. Sean Astin fared much better with large hairy feet then as the loser of this disgustingly sentimental and boringly predictable piece of crap. Every five seconds in this goddamn movie, "Oh, I'm from a poor family," "I really wish that someday I could play for Notre Dame!" "I can't get to Notre Dame cause I'm not very edumacated, but dammit I'll try!" Maybe if he failed like every other five year old with a dream of walking on the moon he could be president instead, worked for others before him! >.<

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:57 am
JJoshay wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

In my opinion, two movies that not only warrant but deserve more then one viewing are Sion Sono's Suicide Club and Strange Circus, but films are, like Mulholland Dr., incredibly difficult but in the end I feel much more rewarding.

Another, overrated film is... Rudy. I fucking hate this movie. Sean Astin fared much better with large hairy feet then as the loser of this disgustingly sentimental and boringly predictable piece of crap. Every five seconds in this goddamn movie, "Oh, I'm from a poor family," "I really wish that someday I could play for Notre Dame!" "I can't get to Notre Dame cause I'm not very edumacated, but dammit I'll try!" Maybe if he failed like every other five year old with a dream of walking on the moon he could be president instead, worked for others before him! >.<
I REALLY don't care much for Rudy myself, I was forced to watch it in school not once but twice, though I can't exactly say I hate it as much as films like Dead Poets Society, Rudy is one of those films that I just find incredibly bland and unremarkable IMO, I felt nothing when watching the film and I didn't care about it one bit, I just found it extremely mediocre and nothing more.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:24 am
JJoshay wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

So Rudy went to Notre Dame before he shot J.F. Oswald?

I'll have to see that one...

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:21 am
That may have made it bearable.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:35 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
My stock answer for this is Amelie.

Oh God Bless You Ed. Bless your scythe, and your skull, and everything about you. Fuck Amelie--stupid saccharine movie that I hated and everyone else somehow loved.

You are both wonderful, wonderful people.

JJoshay wrote:
My choice is Mulholland Dr. Have you ever seen a movie more maddeningly incoherent? It made no sense and there was absolutely nothing redeeming about the experience unless you include
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the lesbian sex scenes.
David Lynch hit gold with Blue Velvet but this movie had nothing going for it besides a good film-noir look and an excellent performance by Naomi Watts that could not salvage the material.

Actually, yes, I have seen more maddeningly incoherent movies, but that's mainly because Mulholland Dr. actually makes plenty of sense, if only in a dreamy, you-have-to-watch-it-twice kind of way. Blue Velvet, on the other hand, makes far too much sense. Divorced from his love of surrealistic images and wacky plot-lines Lynch may be one of the most heavy-handed directors out there working today. Seriously, what was the point of the symbolism in Blue Velvet? When you're working with a theme as obvious and pretentious as "the suburbs are actually eeeeeeeevil!" you need to keep things short and dramatic, not beat your viewer over the head with nonsensical caricatures and arty montages that only drive home points that one could've figured out by just following the damn story. (I never would've noticed that the passionate couple currently having lots of dirty sex are actually in the troughs of passion until I saw a shot of a flame in the middle of one their scenes. Thanks David!) Mulholland Dr. only escaped the same fate (Let's face it, "Hollywood destroys dreams" and all of Lynch's many variations on it is no smarter a theme than "Eeeeeeevil suburbs!") by being so willfully obtuse and atmospheric. Because of that it's one of the best movies of its decade, and not an overrated pile.

Speaking of which, I nominate Blue Velvet.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:44 pm
Zeppelin wrote:
Actually, yes, I have seen more maddeningly incoherent movies, but that's mainly because Mulholland Dr. actually makes plenty of sense, if only in a dreamy, you-have-to-watch-it-twice kind of way. Blue Velvet, on the other hand, makes far too much sense. Divorced from his love of surrealistic images and wacky plot-lines Lynch may be one of the most heavy-handed directors out there working today. Seriously, what was the point of the symbolism in Blue Velvet? When you're working with a theme as obvious and pretentious as "the suburbs are actually eeeeeeeevil!" you need to keep things short and dramatic, not beat your viewer over the head with nonsensical caricatures and arty montages that only drive home points that one could've figured out by just following the damn story.(I never would've noticed that the passionate couple currently having lots of dirty sex are actually in the troughs of passion until I saw a shot of a flame in the middle of one their scenes. Thanks David!) Mulholland Dr. only escaped the same fate (Let's face it, "Hollywood destroys dreams" and all of Lynch's many variations on it is no smarter a theme than "Eeeeeeevil suburbs!") by being so willfully obtuse and atmospheric. Because of that it's one of the best movies of its decade, and not an overrated pile.

Speaking of which, I nominate Blue Velvet.

Cha-ching! And we have a winner. What an overdone, prententious, piece of shit. Actually, it was ok, but it's pretentious so people fawn over it like it's some giant roaming the hilltops. It's so heavy handed that you feel like you've been beaten with a sledgehammer after watching it. The first shot explains the entire movie's theme, we don't need SO much more explanation of it and references to the "strange world". WE GET IT!!!!! I also found Dennis Hopper to be laughably unthreatening. I wouldn't be able to take anyone seriously after watching how he had sex.

I hated Mullholland Dr. as well, but at least I was interested and even slightly compelled before it jumped the tracks.

In short - fuck David Lynch.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:26 am
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:

The Elephant Man is a hell of a film

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 am
JamesKunz wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

The Elephant Man is a hell of a film

Those are the only 2 Lynch movies I've seen, so I'm willing to give his other stuff a try. Both films have a lot of interesting scenes or characters or messages, I just don't think either comes together as a whole. Given what I can tell from his style, I can't really see anything with his distinct oddball style coming completely together. We'll see though, and thanks for the recommendation.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:08 pm
Critic

No problem. It's the most accessible (read: normal) film Lynch has done that I've seen and really quite extraordinary. It was also mainstream/good enough to rack up 8 Oscar Nominations, including Picture.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:00 pm