Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:39 pm

The year is ending and JB put up his Top 10: what's yours? 
Post Re: The year is ending and JB put up his Top 10: what's yours?
Pedro wrote:
I'm going to cheat and do 20.

20. A Prophet (HM)
19. A Single Man
18. District 9
17. Star Trek
16. The Cove
15. Me and Orson Welles
14. The Hurt Locker
13. Antichrist
12. A Serious Man
11. Mary and Max
10. The White Ribbon
9. Fantastic Mr. Fox
8. Avatar
7. Moon
6. In the Loop
5. The Messenger
4. Inglourious Basterds
3. Goodbye Solo
2. Paranormal Activity
1. 35 Shots of Rum

Awesome list! Was 25 shots last year? Ebert only just reviewed it.
Rob

Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:53 pm
Critic

Yeah it premiered at Toronto in 09. I want to see it. Can't believe you ranked Paranormal Activity higher than Inglourious Basterds Pedro, though I did like the former a lot.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:11 pm
Rob,

While I technically saw 35 Shots of Rum in 2010, it wasn't by a whole lot. I would have watched it in December if Camera 3 hadn't been a pile of fail and delayed it. I think it bombed around in New York for a few months before expanding to Los Angeles and San Francisco, and this was definitely in 2009 - allegedly in September.

All things considered, I'm pretty lucky I saw it.

James,

I think Paranormal Activity is ranked as high as it is largely due to my horror filmmaking aspirations. I deeply respect the genre for reasons I won't go into here, though one of them is their effectiveness when they put more focus on atmosphere rather than bloodshed. Paranormal Activity is relentlessly atmospheric for such a low budget film and I admire the shit out of it. When I think about the experience I had watching it, I mostly think about the big picture rather than the small details. When you look at those, you realize it's as flawed as any other film. However, I was scared in parts and when I wasn't scared, I was gripped. (I have a similar opinion of The Blair Witch Project.) It's a film that I could make if I was creative and talented, you know? Inglourious Basterds is growing on me, though. I'll probably buy the Blu-ray soon and rewatch it, the likely outcome being a higher opinion.

Also, for the record, I liked Paranormal Activity before everyone else did.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Pedro wrote:
Rob,

While I technically saw 35 Shots of Rum in 2010, it wasn't by a whole lot. I would have watched it in December if Camera 3 hadn't been a pile of fail and delayed it. I think it bombed around in New York for a few months before expanding to Los Angeles and San Francisco, and this was definitely in 2009 - allegedly in September.

All things considered, I'm pretty lucky I saw it.

James,

I think Paranormal Activity is ranked as high as it is largely due to my horror filmmaking aspirations. I deeply respect the genre for reasons I won't go into here, though one of them is their effectiveness when they put more focus on atmosphere rather than bloodshed. Paranormal Activity is relentlessly atmospheric for such a low budget film and I admire the shit out of it. When I think about the experience I had watching it, I mostly think about the big picture rather than the small details. When you look at those, you realize it's as flawed as any other film. However, I was scared in parts and when I wasn't scared, I was gripped. (I have a similar opinion of The Blair Witch Project.) It's a film that I could make if I was creative and talented, you know? Inglourious Basterds is growing on me, though. I'll probably buy the Blu-ray soon and rewatch it, the likely outcome being a higher opinion.

Also, for the record, I liked Paranormal Activity before everyone else did.

Really keen to see 25 Shots
PA just did not do it for me. It was good, but not a film of the year - horses for courses :-)
Rob

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:31 am
I decided to remake my list after seeing many more films.

10. The Informant
9. Public Enemies
8. Star Trek
7. District 9
6. The Lovely Bones
5. Watchmen
4. The Hangover
3. Up in the AIr
2. Inglourious Basterds
1. Avatar

This new lists reinforces my belief that 2009 was truly a great year in film, along with the fact that I recently redid my top ten lists of each year of the decade. With at least 3 possilbly 5 films entering my top 100 movies in my next revision. I still have to see a couple more films too. I can only hope that 2010 will be as good, though after making my preseason top 10 I am skeptical, but still optmistic.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:44 am
Meatloaf wrote:
This new lists reinforces my belief that 2009 was truly a great year in film, along with the fact that I recently redid my top ten lists of each year of the decade. With at least 3 possilbly 5 films entering my top 100 movies in my next revision. I still have to see a couple more films too. I can only hope that 2010 will be as good, though after making my preseason top 10 I am skeptical, but still optmistic.

Agreed. 2010 has started just like 2009 for me: terribly. Thankfully last year got better and better as the year went along. I still have a few movies I want to see and I'm already comfortable in calling the last year a good one for cinema. When I look back though, I realise that a lot of the movies I loved weren't ones that I was necessarily anticipating, so it's good to keep that in mind.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:13 pm
Director

Any good year and I always can't keep to top 10, so here's 20 and hm:

1. Inglorious Basterds
2. A Serious Man
3. Moon
4. Mary and Max
5. Fantastic Mr. Fox
6. Avatar
7. Up
8. Up in the Air
9. Phobia 2 (the Thai horror anthology sequel to Phobia)
10. Tokyo Sonata

11. Slice (a violent Thai crime thriller, with more than a touch of David Fincher)
12. The Hangover
13. District 9
14. The Message (a very engrossing Agatha Christie-style Chinese whodunit during the war, where a mole among 5 suspects are enclosed in a castle to suss it out)
15. The Hurt Locker
16. October Sonata (a Thai romantic drama; the trailer for this is so soap opera beyond belief, but then the real movie packs a wallop with its political background and message)
17. Where the Wild Things Are
18. Air Doll
19. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
20. Watchmen

HM: An Education, Star Trek, I Love You Man, 500 Days of Summer, Drag Me to Hell

Very good year for animated films, with 3 of them in my top 10. Agree with Kunz that 2008 is a pretty weak year, even counting that I loved The Dark Knight.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:17 am